Forester: ExPo Subaru Project

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Thanks for the link, that'll come in handy. Looking at the chart I can't help but wonder what the 30mm would feel like. :D

The more I drive it the more I lean toward bushings being the steering issue. It doesn't have a dead spot so much as it just pulls ever so slightly to whatever direction it was last turned, and has a very subtle pop feel if turning fast from side to side.

Hondaslayer

Adventurer
Not sure about that spline count. I ran an 04 STI rack in my 04 Forester XT, bolted straight in. Different model years may be different, but in my case it was direct swap.

reachdean

Observer
I think the splines on the input to the steering rack may differ from year to year or between models. However, I think the steering column is standard. Every swap I've ever been a part of has been straightforward - provided the knuckle was swapped as well.

Superu_legacy

Subaru-Coffee-Chocolate
Thanks for the link, that'll come in handy. Looking at the chart I can't help but wonder what the 30mm would feel like. :D

Tribeccas are FAT and a direct swap into WRXs etc. i think the RSB bolts to teh outside of the link though and people swap the front too, but only with disconnects would you want either of these on the Fozzy.

Last edited:

Hondaslayer

Adventurer
Tribeccas are FAT and a direct swap into WRXs etc. i think the RSB blts tot eh outside of the link though, and i think people swap the front too, but only with disconnects would you want either of these on the Fozzy.

Not a direct swap. On the turbo models the subframe has to be "massaged" on the passenger side as it rubs on the subframe. N/A models it bolts right it in, but it's a lot of swaybar for these cars.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Taking a little break from the mechanicals, since they seem to be holding for the moment, and getting back to some actual upgrades. First up, replacing the horrid aux-input-less head unit (turbos should make choo-choo sounds, not CD players). The speakers are surprisingly not terrible, so a new head unit is all the car needs for now. What is it with auto manufacturers and providing terrible head units and half-decent speakers?

IMG_7041.JPG

Subaru gives the Foz double-din and then some, so we opted to delete the useless CD cubby and run with the tall Pioneer FH-X720BT. While we were at it we also repaired the busted air-con vents and cleaned up the beat center console assembly with a hefty dose of black paint. A note on the X720BT: the green option isn't quite green enough, and very bright, something to be aware of if you're planning to keep the factory green dash illumination (we're going all red).

An LED floodlamp has also been added to the rear awning (aka liftgate) for better in-camp lighting. Since there's an always-on switch for the cargo area's dome lamp, wiring is super easy: just run the LED's wiring up the hatch, through the factory pass-thru, and across the headliner to the dome light and tie it in.

IMG_7024.JPG IMG_7030.JPG

Yes, the Foz is also currently nekkid up front. While attempting to repair the front bumper it was discovered that the damage caused by the previous owner was a little more extensive than originally thought (so discovered by the plastic bumper shattering into 4 pieces). Fortunately only the plastic was damaged, the frame and all metal bits are straight and true. I've thought about replacing it (about $140 in parts), but the extra clearance is so nice I may just build a custom bumper:

_1280730.jpg
(thanks to Benjy Davenport for this last photo)

WMDunkin

Adventurer
Nice update, we were camping this weekend and I just was thinking about a light in the rear of my wax. And since our tent attaches to the hatch it would work for our tent light also. What led strip did you use?

libarata

Expedition Leader
I am not quite sure how that tailgate lamp is not standard. There are plenty of places to make a super clean install. Do the new Foz have a latch to open the hatch from the inside?

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Do the new Foz have a latch to open the hatch from the inside?
I'm not sure on the new ones, but the 2003 most certainly does not. I discovered after crawling into the back and shutting the hatch so I could figure out which side of the switch was "hatch" and which was "always on". Fortunately the windows were open...:elkgrin:

What led strip did you use?
I had an extra one of these laying around, though if I were buying from scratch I'd probably take the time to recess some flush-mount lights into the plastic (there's plenty of room behind the trim).

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Do the new Foz have a latch to open the hatch from the inside?

It's a relatively easy hack to add something like this for yourself. I've slept in the back of my 2002 WRX wagon on many occasions but ingress/egress through the rear doors with the seats folded is nigh on impossible. I rigged a little pull rod to the latch mechanism and ran it through the trim panel on the hatch. Pull the rod, push the hatch, easy out.

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls
That approach angle is very attractive. I'm getting rather tired of wondering if i just ripped off my bumper everyday. that actually doesn't look that bad without the bumper.

Also, how much room is the for sleeping in the back of a Foz? I mean, I barely fit in the back of the old Legacy

Chazz Layne

Administrator
If you're 5 feet tall it will probably work, the seats do fold close enough to flat to stuff the front a little with a duffle and get a bed-sized area (front seats fold flat too). The problem is the 3-inch tall metal bar that sticks up from the folded rear seats just about dead center. It's manageable with enough padding, but I'll sum it up like this: I bought a tent when I got back from the trip.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
If you're 5 feet tall it will probably work, the seats do fold close enough to flat to stuff the front a little with a duffle and get a bed-sized area (front seats fold flat too). The problem is the 3-inch tall metal bar that sticks up from the folded rear seats just about dead center. It's manageable with enough padding, but I'll sum it up like this: I bought a tent when I got back from the trip.

On the WRX, I extend the seats by using the headrests and a board. I flip the headrests to backwards, which puts them at just about the right height for a span of 3/4" board (I use a piece of MDF that came bolted to a tool pallet, but anything would work). I can fit a regular twin-sized inflatable mattress over the whole shebang and it smooths out the transition from hatch to seats to board, and I'm comfy enough for a couple of nights at least. Needs more headroom, but otherwise it's doable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz