Forester: ExPo Subaru Project

Chazz Layne

Administrator
On the WRX, I extend the seats by using the headrests and a board. I flip the headrests to backwards, which puts them at just about the right height for a span of 3/4" board (I use a piece of MDF that came bolted to a tool pallet, but anything would work). I can fit a regular twin-sized inflatable mattress over the whole shebang and it smooths out the transition from hatch to seats to board, and I'm comfy enough for a couple of nights at least. Needs more headroom, but otherwise it's doable.

That would be a great option in a Foz for someone putting in a storage system. A two-fold setup would easily clear the 3" bar for flat sleeping, and the roofline is just barely tall enough to make it work. The seats happen to line up just right with the headrests removed such that the front can be "wedged in" to the back for one long (though somewhat crooked) cushion. I might have gone that route if I didn't have the Discovery for cold weather camping. It might still happen... I've about had it with the factory "hatches" in the floor of the cargo area.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Alpine Loop

IMG_7463-1600x1066.jpg

forty4fun

Observer
Driveability after lift

Chazz,

I am following your build. Can you detail what you did after you installed new struts and springs?

So the suspension took a bit more back-and-forth than I had planned. The initial installation of the springs went pretty smooth, but I ultimately had to do the job 5 times to weed out all the bugs.

I have just installed same struts and springs on an 03 Forester and the drive-ability is poor at best. Seems the CV joints are binding or at the very least making noise. These were replaced about 3 months ago. I have a bad shimmy etc. I have the new tires ready to install and an alignment. But just wondering what bugs you encountered so I can focus my troubleshooting efforts.

Thanks

Forty4fun

Chazz Layne

Administrator
The bugs were half pre-existing damage, and half poor planning on my part, none of it was from the upgrade springs/struts themselves. The first time I put the lift on we discovered the struts were shot. If I had simply assumed they were bad on a chassis with 112k miles on it and ordered new ones from the start, I could have avoided doing that part of the job twice. Other issues we ran into were from the abuse the car had seen previously, like missing or shredded bolts, some stripped bolts/nuts, chewed up components (probably from rocks and a lack of skids), etc. Since we had to pull the car apart first to find these problems out, we didn't have the replacement parts on hand and had to reassemble the car while we waited for them.

Once all the replacement parts were installed, all it needed was a new set of tires and an alignment to eliminate the wobbles. I'm used to solid axle vehicles, it was shocking to me how much wobble can come from a bad alignment on these cars. One CV was already blown before the lift, but it only caused a slight vibration and was easy enough to replace later on. In our case, part of the wobble was also from a bent rim.

forty4fun

Observer
Thanks for reply. My deal is car drove fine before the springs and struts. 160K on the odometer, owned from new and am just getting around to modifying it now based on your build. I did replace CVs, brakes, baselined all fluids etc. a couple months ago.

I will have new tires installed this week and and an alignment and start chasing noises and wobble if still present.

libarata

Expedition Leader
I am 5'4'', and have no problem resting in the back of my 99 :D

I will look into the string mod for opening the rearhatch.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Beautiful Chazz. I have a few mechanical things to fix on my 99 before I take it out, but everything is essentially stock, with a roofrack. You did a great service to the roo!

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Not just yet, except to say that the factory bumpers will not be going back on... and I'm learning how to weld with the build of their replacements. :)

The Discovery needs some love, so I'll be taking a short break from the Foz build. In the mean time we'll be hitting more trails with the Subaru this winter.

jf1sf5

Observer
Hi ! I'm new to the forum and very happy to find more Subaru enthusiasts ! I own a '97 Forester with a few modifications that will be useful in the Sahara next spring.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Nope, just brainstorming ideas at this point. We'll be working on the other project until the weather warms up again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior