Forester: ExPo Subaru Project

silkroad

some info from the suppliers that might be helpful to others regarding the lift..
Contacted Kings and they said their raised springs(98 Forester) would give ~25mm(~1inch) lift front and back.
Also contacted kyb and input from them is that they don't recommend lift of more than 1 inch paired with their shocks/struts.

The ironman lift is around 35mm lift which is a bit taller but seems it might work if pairing with kyb excels or taller struts/shocks based on input from forum members and others. Think at the end it depends on driving terrain so its definitely not a science, and as usual a good amount of research is of much help to avoid issues, etc. Thanks again for all the helpful info...

dragonbyu

Observer
I have about 7k miles on Ironman springs with kyb excel struts on my 02 forester. (Sf fitment in the front and Sg in the rear) They ride fantastic with just a touch firmer feel to them. The shocks are definetly topped out and very noticeable going over speed bumps or anything you come down off of at slow speeds. I have an idea to add lift and gain some travel back that I will try this winter.

GB.

Hello Gentleman. This is my first post on this forum. I have an 03 X 5 speed manual with a low ratio selector. We use it as a daily driver and for family holidays as there is not much wilderness here in the UK. I have fitted Pedders rear shocks to do away with the self levelling ones which has improved the ride no end. Now looking at building a stainless steel exhaust system with some skid plates and then some engine/diff protection. Following this thread now with interest.

jf1sf5

Observer
Welcome here GB ! You will find some great info here and also on other forums like offroadsubarus.com or subaruforester.org.

GB.

Thanks for the welcome, most my travels are on two wheels so this forum offers everything. I am on forester dot org as well

Last edited:

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Hope Scott doesn't mind me chiming in...
I doubt he cares at all, considering he has zero miles on them...the Foz is my car, not his...but yeah, what you said. :)

Do you find the struts top out a lot? I read another thread saying that droop ends up too little after installing lift springs.
Like Hondaslayer, I haven't had a problem with them either. The car has seen a bit more air time than it probably should have, so I would have noticed... :)

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Project Update: Phase II (the fun build) to begin soon.

foz1.jpg foz2.jpg

Long story short: someone was trespassing in our driveway when Dani pulled in, and started backing up without looking. We're on a very busy 4-lane, so with nowhere to go and being the kind soul she is, she moved out of the way and hit our fence rather than let the idiot damage his own car. The jerk took off rather than face the consequences (he's lucky I wasn't there). Unfortunately she didn't get a plate number, it's practically impossible for me to track him down on my own without a plate number or damage to his car, and the police don't care because it's a "traffic" issue on private property and the jerk didn't "hit" anything himself.

The underlying structure is intact. Most of the damage is cosmetic, and fortunately Subaru parts are cheap (that fender is only $65 new). Since I'm now out the front clip, hood, and fenders I'll probably convert to the SG9 style front (four-lens headlamps) while I'm at it. Everything below the beltline will be removed, and a custom bumper goes in it's place (design is in the works).

Moral of the story: Never sacrifice your own property to save a stranger's property. If she had let him hit her, and he took off like he did, it would have been felony hit-and-run.

Hondaslayer

Adventurer
I doubt he cares at all, considering he has zero miles on them...the Foz is my car, not his...but yeah, what you said. :)

Like Hondaslayer, I haven't had a problem with them either. The car has seen a bit more air time than it probably should have, so I would have noticed... :)

My bad :lol:

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
Time to make lemonade, for sure. Shame it's essentially from your own pocket.

Ironic that you've taken that thing many places few would have considered going, without any damage. But in your own driveway, it gets trashed. I don't know how you're ever gonna match up the 'pinstripes' on the new fender. :Wow1:

Lot of volume in the front bumper. You gonna use it for something else?

Chazz Layne

Administrator
No kidding. In the Foz's defense, it defenced the driveway pretty well. :D The heavy steel corral fencing we have was bent way more than the bodywork on the car.

We're going to go super slimline with the bumper, so most of the volume will disappear. There are essentially four bolts that hold the bumper's framework to the body, and two bolts between there and the leading edge of the skid plate. The plan is to wrap up from the skid and attach via these six bolts. What little void is left will be lighting, and I might try to squeeze the Viair 400C from the Discovery in there too (upgrading to a faster unit in the Disco). As for the pinstriping...though it drifts from the company line, I've always hated white. There are some much darker paint schemes in the works...

FLoffroad1

Observer
I'm sorry to hear about that, crazy stuff.

I guess converting to SG9 front makes sense, but the SG5 just looks so much cooler. SG5's the best looking of all Foresters in my humble opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier