Forester: ExPo Subaru Project

E.J.

Explorer
I'm running SF front/SG rear struts with SF spec raised Kings for max tire clearance, the other way around seems should have better articulation.

sourdough

Adventurer
Just finished this whole thread because I've been thinking a new Forester might be in my future. But am stuck on the post with 16-18 MPG mentioned. That totally sucks. My '03 Tundra 4.7L V8 Limited 4x4 extra cab with a canopy averages 15 MPG no problem. Why would anybody want a Forester? Just saying and I got my asbestos underwear on. Heading over to subaruforester.org anyway.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I don't hot rod my Forrester, not really aggressive driving either, mine's an 04, n/a. I bought it on a whim based on the subby reputation and expected 22/24 mpg, reality is about 8 to 10 mpg less, more like 13/14 so I'm not happy in that area at all. My truck gets 10/11 and for that I'd rather drive the F-150. Nice AWD, comfortable, capable in most circumstances, but .......and for the price, well..... Granted there may be a problem with mine but the mechanic can't figure it out either.

E.J.

Explorer
To be fair, the poster getting 16-20 mpg's is on MT tires. I average 19 a tank mixed driving with a decent amount of mods and farkle that aren't exactly complementary to fuel economy.

Superu_legacy

Subaru-Coffee-Chocolate
Just finished this whole thread because I've been thinking a new Forester might be in my future. But am stuck on the post with 16-18 MPG mentioned. That totally sucks. My '03 Tundra 4.7L V8 Limited 4x4 extra cab with a canopy averages 15 MPG no problem. Why would anybody want a Forester? Just saying and I got my asbestos underwear on. Heading over to subaruforester.org anyway.

copy E.J. RE tires and was that fuel mileage figure with a roof top tent as well?
If MPG is the only variable, you're right there are certainly other more capable vehicles in that fuel economy bracket. There are a number of other factors that make a forester a fantastic vehicle. While not Not a forester owner myself (but with 2 other Subarus) I'll defer to forester owners to defend this roo. My rig is a Legacy sedan lifted about 3" with struts and springs and with that combo and tires (which are significantly heavier all terrains), my rig sits about 4" taller than a stock Legacy sedan. That has brought a gearing change (3.90 to 4.11) to compensate for taller tires yet that and with a CLSD rear end, I still get 18-19ish city and 23-25 highway. BUT for a 4-door sedan that I can comfortably and safely haul my kids around town in, pack up and confidently go on front- or back-country camping trips (although I regularly wish I had the storage capabilities of a wagon), haul our raft around (turning heads EVERY time at the put-in and take-out ;), comfortably take road trips and pull off trails like lockhart basin N-S, and on a whim the white rim in under 5 hours pavement to pavement. I'm pretty happy with my 2.2 liter NA Subaru.

This thread is a built up 'older' forester. If you're considering a newer Forester, maybe consider the bigger body style 2009-15, maybe a turbo w/ 5 speed auto. They can handle a bit of lift and the auto will get you capability while the turbo will keep you cruising on the highway and pulling hills at elevation without concern. Subarus are arguably unrivaled in adverse weather (snow, ice, etc.), have the highest safety ratings for small SUV's since their conception and as a daily driver (especially in your great latitude), a Subaru is a fantastic choice for an all around cruiser.. BUT, you're right that if an expo rig is your aim, there are certainly more capable rigs for that fuel efficiency, but you'd hate to drive them as a daily.

I don't hot rod my Forrester, not really aggressive driving either, mine's an 04, n/a. I bought it on a whim based on the subby reputation and expected 22/24 mpg, reality is about 8 to 10 mpg less, more like 13/14 so I'm not happy in that area at all. My truck gets 10/11 and for that I'd rather drive the F-150. Nice AWD, comfortable, capable in most circumstances, but .......and for the price, well..... Granted there may be a problem with mine but the mechanic can't figure it out either.

For a stock NA 04, there's a real problem if you're only getting 13/14. My folk's 07 NA 5-speed gets 32-34 highway. plugs about 80-100K miles over due, fuel filter, MAF sensor, O2s, Cats, intake plumbing missing bits or with holes, vacuum leaks, PCV, etc. etc.

No CEL, no codes? Yeah there's a problem there.

Last edited:

Chazz Layne

Administrator
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5354.jpg
    IMG_5354.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 1,005

Chazz Layne

Administrator
10291045_762849043760674_8609490294855863837_n.jpg

I went the cheap route this time ($45) since only the front passenger was busted, I'll go with the HD axles at all four corners at a later date. Surprisingly easy, though messy, job to do. If I had kept my coil spring compressor handy I doubt it would have taken much more than an hour. I love that the only tools required are a 19mm socket, 32mm socket, a rattlegun, and a pair of pliers.

The axle was bad. While rotating it to find the (non-existent) pin bits of metal were falling out, and the entire upper joint disintegrated when we tried to pull the axle out. The wobbles are now mostly gone... I kind of wish I hadn't rotated the tires while I was at it. The rims on the back were noticeably bent. :smiley_drive:

Superu_legacy

Subaru-Coffee-Chocolate
^
pull the ball joint's castle nut, hammer the free then swing the transverse link out to gain more room, rather than fiddling with strut bolts. Keeps alignment and saves some frustration.

$.02

:coffee:

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
^
pull the ball joint's castle nut, hammer the free then swing the transverse link out to gain more room, rather than fiddling with strut bolts. Keeps alignment and saves some frustration.

$.02

:coffee:

x2. And get one of these to make your life easier

Just replaced my front drivers axle, took about 30 minutes, and that's including the 5 minutes looking for the roll pin I dropped on the subrame

Chazz Layne

Administrator
That's exactly what I did, so easy that way. Unfortunately, the lifted springs made it just that half-an-inch too tall to swing free easily so I had to compress them a little. I'll admit I lost about 30 minutes trying to find that roll pin before finally figuring out 2003+ models just snap into place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94