Ozark National Forest - 2011

codertimt

Observer
For the most part, I'm a day tripper, taking quick little trips up to the National Forest when I get the chance to skip a day of work. So I figured I would just create a single thread and update it each time out. So begins my log with a little trip on 1/21...

A couple weeks ago when we got a little snow here in Arkansas, I wasn't able to really get out and play any except to bring the wife to work, so when a little more fell last Thursday in part of the state I decided to take Friday morning off and go driving until I found it.

The highway dept web site said the highways in the area were mostly clear, so I headed out after dropping the kids off at school. Came into the National Forest on Hwy 27 through Hector AR. Highways were definitely clear and I saw a few sand trucks/plows out making sure the winding hilly roads in the area were safe. I'd much rather drive through here after a snow than the Interstates around Little Rock.

Anyway, I figured I get to more snow the further north I went, so I decided to head up 27 for a while and then cut over to Hwy 16. Finally cut over on FR 1300 and got off of the pavement...
_MG_9917.JPG

_MG_9916.JPG

Once I made it over to Hwy 16 I decided to go up to Falling Water Falls and go try to find Boyd's Cemetery again as I knew what those roads looked like for the most part.
_MG_9925.JPG

_MG_9930.JPG

_MG_9936.JPG

_MG_9939.JPG

_MG_9949.JPG

I did find Boyd Cemetery this time. Surprisingly it's a current cemetery out in the middle of the woods. I'm assuming it's approachable from the south on a better road..
_MG_9966.JPG

The last time I was out here I told myself I would go back on FR 1852...probably not the best trail to try for the first time when snow covered, but didn't give me much trouble for the most part. Few good sized rocks and washed out in places..and a decent uphill grade most the way. Quite fun overall. I'll link to the couple of vids I've uploaded...they're not that great...

_MG_9981.JPG

_MG_9984.JPG

Came out onto Hwy 16 and took it over to Hwy 7 and then south to I40 to head back to work for the afternoon. :( It was fun while it lasted though...

_MG_9994.JPG

Few more images here if interested...

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Once I made it over to Hwy 16 I decided to go up to Falling Water Falls and go try to find Boyd's Cemetery again as I knew what those roads looked like for the most part.
_MG_9925.JPG

Thats a neat little road. I like that spot... looks completely different with snow. I'll try to find the pic...

Blain

Adventurer
Those are some great pictures!! I love when the snow falls on the trees like that.
Hope to make a trip to the Ozarks one of theses days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier