Open fire cooking setups?

KyleBozeman

I like the Volcano also.

I like the Volcano simply because it is easy to use. I can use propane, charcoal or wood and it collapses down to 5". If you are going to feed an army, it is probably not a fabulous choice.. But Ive never found anything that works as well with a Dutch Oven or makes Coals last as long. Check it out at www.volcanogrills.com
Volcano10.jpg

Albin

Adventurer
I've got a book called The Backyard Blacksmith by some lady named Simms or something like that, but any way she gives directions to make your own tripod and kitchen accessory rack. I'd kind of like to try that but I'm not equipped with a forge or anvil or anything.

I do have a forge, but I didn't use it to make the tripod, just cut off 3/8" eye bolts and then welded them onto the end of the rod.

I did use the forge to make the dinner bell, but that was just to heat the metal up so I could bend it into the three angles you see in the pic.

Good luck.

4wd Vanny

We use the "Keyhole" fire set up when we go out into the sticks, work great. I'm planning a keyhole fire pit in my back yard as we speak.

KeyHoleFire033.jpg

KeyHoleFire038.jpg

KeyHoleFire045.jpg

KeyHoleFire.jpg

KeyHoleFire047.jpg

NuggetHoarder

Adventurer
I have an open fire cooking tip. The 20" round Weber grills are a great size for camp grilling, and the slat width is just right for hot dogs or steaks. I'm not talking about the whole kettle, just the replacement grill. The only problem is that the 20" grill is a bit small to span a typical campfire. My solution is to bring along a standard oven rack, found in just about any oven in America. They are sturdy and large, and the only problem is the slats are too far apart to cook steaks on. They are a great size to span a campfire though.

So that's my tip. Get a 20" round Weber grill for about $4, and grab an old oven rack out of your oven for free, and combine the two to make a great campfire grill setup. Use the oven rack as an under-rack and lay it down on a couple of logs with the fire in between, and then use the Weber grill top on top of that for cooking steaks. Store both grills in a black garbage bag and they lay flat and will store in easy to find places in your rig.

infernoford

This is a set up I made for myself. It is a little on the heavy side but it was built for camping out of a vehicle and cooking for larger groups.
053-1.jpg

057.jpg

v8chris

We usually use a tripod I made from some 8mm steel bar with a hanging grill or if we're places where a fire isn't allowed we use the ozpig. We do still have a folding grill but it doesn't get used as much now.

Attachments

• scotland 2010 043sm.JPG
    scotland 2010 043sm.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 49
  • scotland 2010 025sm.JPG
    scotland 2010 025sm.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 45
  • scotland 2011 044sm.JPG
    scotland 2011 044sm.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 51
  • scotland 2010 062s.JPG
    scotland 2010 062s.JPG