Compressors: Patton philosophy?

eric1115

Adventurer
"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George Patton

Next thing on my list is OBA. Realistically (I'm on a limited budget) I can do an MV50 now and have it to use all season, or I could wait and do a Puma or Viair or something similar, probably late fall or next spring (it's got to wait its turn in line with the rest of the stuff vying for my money).

Thoughts? Those of you with the MV50, do you dread airing down because it takes SO long to air back up? Puma owners, do you wish you had gone ahead and done OBA a long time ago, even if it would have been at the expense of a little speed?

Tires are also an item on the "replace, pronto" list, and I'm waffling between the 235/85/16's on it now, and going to a 255/85/16, so I'm not (nor will be in the forseeable future) running a huge volume tire.

kjp1969

Explorer
I'd go with the MV50 now. Mine works very well, and faster than some more expensive setups. Later, if you upgrade, the MV50 can be a spare/backup.

ccarm

Adventurer
I'd go with the MV50 now. Mine works very well, and faster than some more expensive setups. Later, if you upgrade, the MV50 can be a spare/backup.

x2

This little guy (MV50) has an absolute cult following. You don't get to that status by having a cruddy setup. Works great for what we use it for: airing up tires.

theksmith

Explorer
i used an MV50 for several years when i had an XJ with 31" x 11" R16 tires and it worked flawlessly.

i then hard mounted 2 of them in my WJ and that really worked well for about 9 months on 33" x 11.5" R17 tires. then they both died within a month of each other.

so just don't expose it permanently to the elements and it should last you plenty long and be fast enough. that said, the PUMA one is considerably faster ;)

ert01

Adventurer
I have an MV50 and so does my brother... they worked well for us both so far. I've had mine over 2 years and he's had his a little less then that.

Only problem I ran into once was that the air filter broke and a piece of plastic worked its way into the head and broke one of the reeds. It was an easy fix... all I did was get a feeler gauge that was the same thickness as the reed that broke and cut it to size and bolt it in. I've been running it that way ever since. I also re-tapped the head to accept a regular NPT thread so I could put a different (metal) air filter on there.

I like this compressor, but there are still times I would prefer something hard-mounted that has a bit better output for my 33's.

slomatt

Adventurer
I used a Puma for about 6 years and have used an MV50 for the last 4 or so. Both work just fine on 32" and 33" tires, anything much larger will take quite a while to fill with the MV50 and it will get pretty hot since it is not rated for 100% duty cycle.

For me the big benefit of the MV50 is that it is compact and easy to hard mount, I have it stored behind a panel in my 4runner where it takes up no cargo space. The downside is that the MV50 requires a good amount of hardware (pressure switch, piping, tank) to hard mount where as the Puma comes with all of that. Both have proven to be very reliable on the trail and have never failed.

If I ever decide I need more air I'll probably get around to installing the York compressor that's been sitting in my garage for years. :)

- Matt

PV Hiker

Observer
I have the MV-50 and mine has worked smooth and quiet. I thought I needed a Backup and for filling a second vehicle faster. I bought a second one like the first one from Amazon. It came last week and turned it on and WOW, this one sounded like it was going to explode from the inside and boy was it noisy. It went back the next day.
I bought a Puma and will get it and find a spot for it while using the good MV-50 as a backup. Puma is more expensive but how many times do we buy cheap over and over only to end up paying the same as a Puma or better in the long run? Looking forward to having both.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I have the MV-50 as well. I have 31's and to get all 4 tires from 15psi to 35psi only take around 15 minutes total. Not bad in my opinion for a $50 compressor.

eric1115

Adventurer
I have the MV-50 and mine has worked smooth and quiet. I thought I needed a Backup and for filling a second vehicle faster. I bought a second one like the first one from Amazon. It came last week and turned it on and WOW, this one sounded like it was going to explode from the inside and boy was it noisy. It went back the next day.
I bought a Puma and will get it and find a spot for it while using the good MV-50 as a backup. Puma is more expensive but how many times do we buy cheap over and over only to end up paying the same as a Puma or better in the long run? Looking forward to having both.

Thanks folks, I was inclined to agree with the General already, and you've got me convinced now that the MV50 now (and maybe a Puma down the road a ways if I really feel the need) beats a faster, burlier compressor later. I'll try not to install it too violently. Now off to shop for fittings!

Eric

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Thanks folks, I was inclined to agree with the General already, and you've got me convinced now that the MV50 now (and maybe a Puma down the road a ways if I really feel the need) beats a faster, burlier compressor later. I'll try not to install it too violently. Now off to shop for fittings!

Eric

Eric,

One thing I've 'heard' about the MV50 is it's designed for an open chuck so bear that in mind with your setup.

Marcie's Disco

Adventurer
MV-50 has been real trooper for me. It is probably as quick or quicker than my Viar 450. My only complaint is the cheezy inline fuse on the power lead, but it's easily replaced with superior parts. I have been using the MV-50 exclusivly for three years now without issue. I am careful to position it as best I can out of dirt and grit when I'm using it. As stated, when they fail, they are done, no rebuild that I've heard of. Bottom line, I would recommend an MV-50. I didn't have high expectations when I bought it but have been very, very impressed with it's performance and will no doubt own another if/when this one expires.

Marcie's Disco

Adventurer

Eric

Eric, I should have mentioned that the fittings are not NPT. If you are bent on a hard mount OBA, you'll need to get an NPT tap to tap out the cyl head. I just keep it in the bag and pullit out and allegator clip it to the battery when I need to use it. The advantage (or disadvantage) is that friends can borrow it too.

lovetoski

Observer
I have an MV50. Use it 4-5X per year. Wish it were more, but hey...

I've had it for 3 years. It is slow...but it will air up nearly 2x (approx) faster if you have a hand-throttle and can air-up with the alternator putting out higher amps.

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
I tested my MV-50 immediately when it arrived on my door step and it worked great.

The other day I whipped out the compressor to help a guy air up his 37's. After the first tire he mentioned the inline fuse was getting hot. I opened the cap and it had melted the fuse into the fuse holder (the compressor still worked until we turned it off).

What the heck??? Has anyone else heard of this happening to an MV-50?Whould I cut the inline fuse holder out and replace it with a different amperage?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier