Bacon

EricG

Explorer
Lipitor dosing instructions on request.

100_1120.jpg

Do you have anything that is dirty? My stove looks well uses but its almost 15 years old.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Just made my first batch of smoked bacon from an incredibly good slab of belly. But to tell you the truth I actually prefer the raw fresh belly sliced about 3/8" thick...sprinkle sea salt and smoked paprika on both sides and slowly render it in a cast iron pan until nicely caramelized...to any bacon I've eaten heretofore.

BIGGUY

Adventurer
Just made my first batch of smoked bacon from an incredibly good slab of belly. But to tell you the truth I actually prefer the raw fresh belly sliced about 3/8" thick...sprinkle sea salt and smoked paprika on both sides and slowly render it in a cast iron pan until nicely caramelized...to any bacon I've eaten heretofore.

I grew up eating a lot of the fresh side along with bacon. I love it fresh. Mom used to make it by coating it in flour and then sprinkling it with salt and pepper. I just use salt and pepper on it myself. I hadn't had any in a few years. I then started buying a pig or two each year from a couple of guys I work with and would get the fresh side instead of having it turned into bacon. Awesome stuff.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I grew up eating a lot of the fresh side along with bacon. I love it fresh. Mom used to make it by coating it in flour and then sprinkling it with salt and pepper. I just use salt and pepper on it myself. I hadn't had any in a few years. I then started buying a pig or two each year from a couple of guys I work with and would get the fresh side instead of having it turned into bacon. Awesome stuff.

Oh yeah, fresh side-meat dredged in flour with salt and pepper. Haven't had that in years... mighty tasty with some milk gravy made from the rendered side-meat and biscuits, too! Hence my Lipitor at night and Tricor in the morning... :(

Wyowanderer

Explorer
For you DIY guys and gals,
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V70uzuPoV5w"]YouTube - Good Eats S5E5P1: Scrap Iron Chef - Bacon Challenge[/ame]
and
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0v6wUZ5RFY"]YouTube - Good Eats S5E5P2: Scrap Iron Chef - Bacon Challenge[/ame]

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
One of my wife's coworkers has a bunch of pork that they raised and are selling so I'm going to see if I can get myself some uncut and uncured bacon so I can cut my own extra thick.

chasingdreams

Adventurer
I wouldn't even consider going on a trip without some bacon. Thick with coarse pepper:drool:..... It's just a camping staple I can't do without.

39ranger

Idea/survey

I have ordered bacon from smokedmeats.com they are located in Bishop, CA. Its without question my favorite and I have been known to purchase it for my own birthday present.

Here is my idea. You all have different favorites and I would be willing to test them for you, to find out what is the best out of all the favorites.
Yes, very simple. Send me your favorite bacon and once they are all in I will graciously test each one to find out which is the best. That will settle the whole bacon debate and we can all order the best bacon from that point forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94