Catamaran Camper

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I have a Mercedes motorhome that I'm in the planning stages of putting a rooftop deck on...this thread gave me an idea!!!!
The roof deck is going to be aprox 7ft wide by 10ft long . If I was to make this removable I could attach it to pontoons or hulls from a small sailing cat... The only problem I would have is getting off the top of the camper.. Giant ramp system?

Use a mast in two sections and use it to slide it off one side. A 2 section mast can make a gen-pole X block the base and swing it off the back. You should have a winch and lines on deck. You could also use a boom further back on the vehicle, low profile to set on deck, raise it and rig the deck, swing it over and lower or raise it as needed. The frame for a cataraft or small cat really doesn't have to be that heavy either. A folding ladder arrangements on the back of RVs that come out at the bottom supported off the bumper to form a slide. Lots of ways to get stuff on top or unload.

A 10' deck could work, you'll need more of a frame for a sailing cat, at 7' wide you ought to consider 14-16' in length for the hulls, usually twice+ in length to the beam or width. Whatever, you have enough space up there for various boats.

I don't have that space on top, unless I put a ladder rack on the truck, but the trailer should be workable.

I'm thinking a SOF (Stitch on frame) a material covering a wood frame where the frame breaks down in sections or parts might be the way to go, better for transport with the trailer and using a pod style cabin.

Be nice to be able to wrap up a vehicle for the water, reminds me of the WWII tanks that had a canvas float system that kept tanks afloat assaulting beaches. Many sunk too!

bdog1

Adventurer
Thinking about a trailer/boat deal. A flat bottom boat has less draft than pontoons. Your overall height is way less for any given headroom, since you walk on the flat bottom. It's easier to construct than pontoons. And would make a better camper on land. Add a torsion tube axle and a tongue. Bam! No I'm not building one!

Sent from my weak AT&T iPhone

bdog1

Adventurer
y3evusun.jpg

Sent from my weak AT&T iPhone

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I know this thread is old, but the wife and I have been talking back and forth about this idea for years. We finally found one that grabbed out attention, and the price was too good to pass up. So it'll be our new combo for till we get bored with it and move onto something new. I know it's far from EXPO worthy, as the boat weighs in around 10,000lbs. But being as we live in Florida for the time being, we figured it was the most versatile EXPO rig for this State :)

Catamaran_Cruiser_On_Trailer.jpg

Houseboat_Living-1024x682.jpg

I'll probably end up starting it's own thread, once we get to customizing it. It's still too new for us to be doing much of anything other than learning the In's and Out's of how it rides and what we need to do to make it more user friendly....but I've got tons of links, notes and ideas I've saved off this site from others build threads. Here is a link to the latest write up on it - The Floating Brick

ober27

Adventurer
Congratulations on the new boat. I hope you do start a thread here to let us know how it works out for you. You may have to edit your name, Every Nautical Miles A Memory.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Thanks Ober27, I'm sure after a few more trips I'll have more to talk about it. I'll start the thread once we know what we're going to be doing to and with it

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I've been reading about some great builds here and someone mentioned Wests Marine products for fiberglass and epoxys used in boat building. That triggered a thought too, there is a boat building site most are probably familiar with "Duckworks" about small wooden boat building, great site, and for a couple years I have been thinking of trying to build a small powered or motorsailor catamaran. There are several on Duckworks, one being the "Gato". It has a small enclosed cabin that sits on top of the amas or pontoons.

Now, it seems to me that this cabin could be built as one unit and bolted to the boat deck (as intended in the building process) but the cabin could be a stand alone unit that slides in the back of the pickup. A trailer could be made to pull the pontoons and mount them higher than customary, or since they are only 16 feet long, they could be carried on a ladder rack on the truck. The pontoons are not very big or heavy, in fact, you could go lighter by using a Hobby Cat hulls.

Yes, I asked aerlier about converting a travel trailer, still an option. I'm trying to go through the options and actually get going on a plan to take off while I still can, I'm not getting younger. I'd like to enjoy the back country and waterways, use the motorcycle for errands and getting deeper of road and yet have a livable condition for an extended trip, two to four months. So, yes this all ties together....

Seems you'd have a camper and a little cruiser as well.

Is this feisable? anyone done this or even pull a boat as the on shore camper? Any suggestions?

Might check out that sits as the construction techniques seem to be very adaptable to building a quality camper. Another good site is Micro Cruiser, that features many home built small boats.

Hey "O"
Its been done before. And yes this guy is the real deal would easily qualify as an Expedition Portal type except he travels by WATER.
http://turtleislands.net/tmc/1.html

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I know this thread is old, but the wife and I have been talking back and forth about this idea for years. We finally found one that grabbed out attention, and the price was too good to pass up. So it'll be our new combo for till we get bored with it and move onto something new. I know it's far from EXPO worthy, as the boat weighs in around 10,000lbs. But being as we live in Florida for the time being, we figured it was the most versatile EXPO rig for this State :)

Catamaran_Cruiser_On_Trailer.jpg

Houseboat_Living-1024x682.jpg

I'll probably end up starting it's own thread, once we get to customizing it. It's still too new for us to be doing much of anything other than learning the In's and Out's of how it rides and what we need to do to make it more user friendly....but I've got tons of links, notes and ideas I've saved off this site from others build threads. Here is a link to the latest write up on it - The Floating Brick
I like. Runs all day on a tank of gas and eats up the choppy bay just fine. Here is cat school for those that would think your boat is like a pontoon. http://www.powercatgroup.com/cat-myths

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior