Chinese Air Locker

sross

Adventurer
Has anybody run one of the Chinese air lockers? I picked up a used ARB for the front of my Samurai, and while looking for prices on the wiring harness and switches stumbled upon these things. Shipped with everything needed to install is $630. I had planned on installing a lock right in my rear dif but the china locker ends up being only about $150 more. Mostly because I don't have to buy the arb compressor for my front end.

a youtube review: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwDBghf2A6I"]YouTube - Chinese ARB copy airlocker RD88 unboxing[/ame]

locker website: http://www.china4x4offroad.com/SeaProduct.aspx?PrdID=540

I have to say I'm tempted even after seeing the ARB vs Chinese copy video ARB produced. If I was installing it in a hard core rock crawler or something I might be. I'm not too worried about it with my 235x75x15's.

RD88.jpg

Rubicon_Fan

Adventurer
I would strongly suggest to stay away Chinese made offroad/camping equipment. I'm still killing myself In a butt for buying their Roof top tent and an awning... I haven't even used it ONCE many things have failed already. Zipper on the RTT cover is not working, awning poles broke right of.. Ugh, I can go on and on. Sorry for a rant...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
even if they're identical copies, they're not using anything but ****ty chinese steel and alloys. i would run to the hills if someone set that infront of me. thats just asking for your differential to blow up.

p71

Observer
Looking at the ARB vs Chinese test one important point they glossed over is this... total system failure for the Chinese locker was 93% of that of the ARB. That is the ARB system failed at 6929 foot lbs of torque. Whilst the Chinese system failed at 6412.

In other words exceeding 6000 lbs of tq with either is a bad idea (which seems kinda low to me, but I am a v8 guy)...

Another important note is that given you had all required spares, the trailside repair on the Chinese system would have been far easier...

greentruck

Adventurer
Interesting.

I wouldn't be the first to own one. On the other hand, if they prove to be decent, I probably wouldn't be the last to own one, either -- or maybe two.

And you might be making a mistake to assume you'd be the first to buy something, just because you haven't seen one before. Anymore, we're often the last to see something once it's big elsewhere. So over two years ago in New Zealand, folks were running them.

I suspect like most stuff, it's legal to sell here and consumers will soon know whether it's a hit or a miss, even if it's a knock-off. That's how things work. If they do good and it's as reliable as X-Brand, and cheaper, then it'll soon cost less to lock.

Or maybe not. Looks like the Kiwis are doing some long-term evaluation, with the usual mixed results reported. But I'd bet that like lots of things, the more they build, the better they get. Whether that intersects with your needs and wants curve varies.

I'm up for watching how things hold up and what ARB does in response. Gotta be good for the consumer -- if you're careful about sizing up what you get for the deal, no matter who you decide to buy from.

sross

Adventurer
It wouldn't be going in a V8 truck, my samurai probably has 40 hp. The real question is:

would you rather have the chinese air locker or an auto locker?

The real deal is not in the budget unless I can find one used.

I have three possible configurations:
1. Front ARB $350 used
ARB Compressor $150
all the switches and tubing etc that didn't come with the locker: $100
Open Rear
Total: $600

2: The above
lockright or spartan auto locker: $200
Total: $800

3: Front ARB $350 used
Chinese Locker in the rear with chinese compressor: $630
Total: $1080

4: Front ARB $350 used
ARB Compressor $150
Rear ARB $830 + shipping
Total $1430+ unknown amount for shipping

sross

Adventurer
Also, the more I read about them on the various forums there are two different veins of thought:

Its chinese so it must be junk, how dare you think about doing it.

I have one in my beater truck and so far it works great

Thats it, I haven't found anyone saying, "I installed one and had it blow up or just not work." Plenty of threads out there by people who can't get the ARB to function correctly which is most likely installer error.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
So if this thing fails (as some ARB's do) or needs to be serviced, where would you send it? Who would you call if you had a question?

I wouldn't waste any money on it.

OTR

Adventurer
It wouldn't be going in a V8 truck, my samurai probably has 40 hp. The real question is:

would you rather have the chinese air locker or an auto locker?

The real deal is not in the budget unless I can find one used.

I have three possible configurations:
1. Front ARB $350 used
ARB Compressor $150
Open Rear
Total: $600

2: The above
lockright or spartan auto locker: $200
Total: $800

3: Front ARB $350 used
Chinese Locker in the rear with chinese compressor: $630
Total: $1080

4: Front ARB $350 used
ARB Compressor $150
Rear ARB $830 + shipping
Total $1430+ unknown amount for shipping

I would do the auto locker or the ARB in the rear. If (when) the chinese locker fails you'll end up having to replace locker and you'll end up going with the ARB in the end. I don't think it's smart to add something weak or potentially unreliable. Imagine that part failing not only on the trail, but while going 60 mph down the highway. Not worth it IMO.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
So if this thing fails (as some ARB's do) or needs to be serviced, where would you send it? Who would you call if you had a question?.

Exactly. Personally I am willing to pay a reasonable premium to purchase products that are backed by solid R&D, reputable engineers that consistently strive to make the product better, years of recorded use and a network of experienced staff for post sale support.

Of course how much of a premium I am willing to pay depends on the product and how far away from civilization I plan to use it.

sross

Adventurer
something weak or potentially unreliable.

It would be going in a Suzuki Samurai, the whole truck is weak and potentially unreliable! I am reluctant to install the auto locker because this truck is my dd and I really don't want to have to deal with auto locker quirks in a short wheel base truck when I move to MD in the fall.

That front ARB can also be modded to fit in the rear of the samurai. iirc its about $220 for the different side gears. Honestly, thats probably the best thing to do in my particular case.

Oh yeah, I'm also driving it to points unknown in Mexico/CA for three months over the summer. That would be a good test of the China locker wouldn't it?

by someone who installed one in a patrol:
http://www.clubisuzu.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=245

Last edited:

4xdog

Explorer
My dad, a schoolteacher, used to tell his two boys, "we're not rich enough to afford cheap tools".

The money spent replacing cheap tools, or work damaged by them, and the time lost make good tools the better investment in the long run -- at least for me.

China can make first quality stuff. And can also make total junk. Ya just never know. Multinationals help, because different (usually higher) standards are in place and brands are at risk. ARB themselves make some products in China (or Taiwan). Trust in the engineering and quality control of the company putting their name on their product is probably more important than exactly where the article is made. ARB has always done pretty well by me.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
So if this thing fails (as some ARB's do) or needs to be serviced, where would you send it? Who would you call if you had a question?

I wouldn't waste any money on it.

Part of what you are paying for when you get an ARB product is their support system. They have a customer service reputation beyond reproach. All things being equal, I would still pay a little extra for the ARB locker.

What I find funny is that... gasp... all of my ARB stuff has "Made in China" stamped on it...:coffee:

ARB's core products are produced by ARB. They make no effort to hide that supplementary products are produced for them to specifications by third party manufacturing contractors. They do this in part because of the lost margin they suffer from sales being stolen by nock off product producers, which brings me to my next point.

The biggest gripe I have is that this is just the latest episode of China blatantly ripping off a product that they did not have to incur the cost to develop and research. This is BS, and the reason why I boycot many Chinese products. In moral terms, its WRONG, and by buying the nock offs you are perpetuating a parasitic campaign against companies like ARB that lead the industry.

If this was allowed in the drug industry, new product development would cease, because it would just be produced by "generic" brands as soon as it hit the market.

To the OP. There is no product support, the reliability of other Chinese products has been generally awful, and most importantly its just WRONG. Don't buy it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles