1995 Montero SR Build

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Actually, it was on corps of engineer land.

I have spoken to law enforcement officials about it. They have confirmed that the corps land is legal to play on.

Zoltar

Observer
Actually, it was on corps of engineer land.

I have spoken to law enforcement officials about it. They have confirmed that the corps land is legal to play on.

This is what I meant by legal. In Oklahoma, all Corps land is legal unless marked otherwise (which more and more is everyday). But I'm finding in Texas its hard to find double track that is un-marked. I wanna play... :smiley_drive:

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
This is what I meant by legal. In Oklahoma, all Corps land is legal unless marked otherwise (which more and more is everyday). But I'm finding in Texas its hard to find double track that is un-marked. I wanna play... :smiley_drive:

Most of the area is inaccessible right now due to swolen creeks and high lake level. If I can find a way onto the land from the southern side, we could really have some fun.

Zoltar

Observer
Most of the area is inaccessible right now due to swolen creeks and high lake level. If I can find a way onto the land from the southern side, we could really have some fun.

Cool. Keep me in mind if you guys want to go explore.

<off topic>
I got the time off approved for the March 18th AR trip! woohoo!
I'll post on that topic in the CO.com forum.
</off topic>

I'm having issues with the heater in the truck, looking for some feedback.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52785

He had similar symptoms, but with a 3.0, he replaced thermostat, fluids, hoses, etc. My truck has new hoses, radiator and fluid.
The difference between our symptoms is that my thermostat will get up to just less than halfway. The heater has also worked previously, on warmer days (teens here now).

If I were to replace the thermostat, I am given 3 choices, 170-179, 180-89, 190-199 degrees.

There is also a "fail-safe" thermostat for 3x the price, worth it?

Need heat! Had to run the defrost to clear the screen, but it was barely warm. My girls are freezing when we drive my truck in this cold weather!

Any thoughts/help appreciated!

zukrider

Explorer
i would go middle or high. as long as you have a good radiator and rad cap, it should not cause harm in the texas summer. most engines are designed to run in the 210-220* range on a normal basis.

good luck, and post up with thoughts after you make a decision.

Expedition Leader
Scott, most modern thermostats are designed to fail in the open (safe) position. It sounds like yours has. If it's fuel injected, I would get a new thermostat of the recommended stock temperature; fuel injected engines have cold start circuits and etc. and are designed to run best at a specific temperature. If it's a carbureted engine, then I will frequently go with a lower-temperature thermostat for the Texas summers.

Scott, most modern thermostats are designed to fail in the open (safe) position. It sounds like yours has. If it's fuel injected, I would get a new thermostat of the recommended stock temperature; fuel injected engines have cold start circuits and etc. and are designed to run best at a specific temperature. If it's a carbureted engine, then I will frequently go with a lower-temperature thermostat for the Texas summers.

That was my thought, the OE temp is the 180-189.

I bought a new thermostat and went ahead and bit the bullet for a case of Mitsubishi Triple Diamond SPIII transmission fluid. $88 for the case at the stealership. Thats what everybody swears by, and the apprehension of using anything else really bothered me into buying the 3diamond.

Too cold to change the thermostat today, may do it in a SilvElise's warmer garage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online