1995 Montero SR Build

Adding another vehicle to my roster. After much research and deliberation, I chose to pursue a Montero SR. So, I after selling my FJ62 I picked up a 1995 Montero SR off of craigslist. Lots of photos, lots of questions later, I drove down to Houston to pick it up. Exactly as described down to every scratch and issue. The owner was probably more honest than the average seller (wasn't concerned about selling it, just didn't need the truck any more). Drove it back up to Denton without an issue. Great ride. Ample power. Cruise control. Huge power sunroof.

Current-ish photos:
_DSC8842-X2.jpg_DSC8895-X2.jpg_DSC8875-X2.jpg_DSC9845-X2.jpg

Build details:
Suspension- Old Man Emu "Expedition Heavy" Coil springs purchased from TRDParts4U- ask for Jacque.
Interior- Smittybilt seat covers, cargo management system, CB radio (sucks).
Exterior- ARB Roof rack, fire stick antenna (custom mount)
Motor- Rebuilt June 2012. No performance mods, only Japanese made parts used. Link

Tires- 33/12.50 R 15 Goodyear Duratracs on stock wheels.

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
:smiley_drive:

So what trips r u gonna do first? Big bend? South padre island?

Not sure if you're looking for mod ideas but be sure to check my mod thread either here or on the wire.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
hey man, can you snap some pics of your carseats in the back? I'd sure appreciate it.

These are def. on my short list of XJ replacements, but I kinda want to see what the seating arrangement looks like.

:smiley_drive:

So what trips r u gonna do first? Big bend? South padre island?

Not sure if you're looking for mod ideas but be sure to check my mod thread either here or on the wire.

The first trip will be out to the Texas Hill Country. Second is Big Bend. I'm just thinking I may want to have another vehicle with us in BB just in case (I dont trust the truck yet).

I saw you sweet *** platform build! Looks awesome! Won't work for us unfortunately because we always take kiddo along and 9 times out of 10 we have a dog or three.

If you don't mind Ray, keep an eye out for a used montero snorkel for me aye?:sombrero: I'll likely do a front bumper similar to you (non montero specific).

Here are some photos from testing it out the first week of ownership.
180701_588731905001_62002887_32982816_3974623_n.jpg

167755_588731924961_62002887_32982817_3955688_n.jpg

168097_588732024761_62002887_32982825_4004601_n.jpg

179207_588731959891_62002887_32982819_4032168_n.jpg

167257_588732094621_62002887_32982827_6173690_n.jpg

Last edited:
hey man, can you snap some pics of your carseats in the back? I'd sure appreciate it.

These are def. on my short list of XJ replacements, but I kinda want to see what the seating arrangement looks like.

Sure. I Just realized yesterday that the Montero is PERFECT for a project I've got coming up. A non-profit for getting urban/suburban kids outdoors and cure their outdoor deficiencies!

adrenaline503

Explorer
If you fold the rear seats up how much length is there front to back? I am 5'7" and want to know if i can sleep in the back.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
If you fold the rear seats up how much length is there front to back? I am 5'7" and want to know if i can sleep in the back.

My platform spanning the entire rear section (removed 3rd row, folded 2nd row flat, moved & tilted the bucket seats forward) allows for ~6' person to sleep on it.

zukrider

Explorer
congrats! good to see it on here.

so, now that you have it, what are your thoughts on the little things? wipers, heater controls, lights at night? also, what can you recommend that i pay attention to in my searches?

thanx, and good luck on the build.

congrats! good to see it on here.

so, now that you have it, what are your thoughts on the little things? wipers, heater controls, lights at night? also, what can you recommend that i pay attention to in my searches?

thanx, and good luck on the build.

All of mine function, if thats what you are asking?
The lights are quite bright, in comparison to my toyotas. The only gripe I have really is about the door locks. They act up. I did fix the rear door latch yesterday, drilled out the plastic handle and inserted a screw. to depress the lever that releases the lock. Its a temporary fix until I can figure something else out.

Really, just make sure the timing belt and related items have been serviced within an acceptable time frame. To me, the timing belt on this interference engine is a weak point. But the truck makes up for it in many different ways. So far I am quite satisfied.

JackWagon

Congrats on the new rig... may it see many miles.:)

Out of curiosity, what size Goodyear tire were you able to put onto those stock rims? Have you noticed any rubbing? How are they on pavement?

zukrider

Explorer
All of mine function, if thats what you are asking?
The lights are quite bright, in comparison to my toyotas. The only gripe I have really is about the door locks. They act up. I did fix the rear door latch yesterday, drilled out the plastic handle and inserted a screw. to depress the lever that releases the lock. Its a temporary fix until I can figure something else out.

Really, just make sure the timing belt and related items have been serviced within an acceptable time frame. To me, the timing belt on this interference engine is a weak point. But the truck makes up for it in many different ways. So far I am quite satisfied.

Not so much are they working, but more the ergonomics. i have found when you drive an unfamiliar car, finding the little things can be tough, as well as some are located in weird or inconvenient locations. just the nitpicky stuff.

Congrats on the new rig... may it see many miles.:)

Out of curiosity, what size Goodyear tire were you able to put onto those stock rims? Have you noticed any rubbing? How are they on pavement?

Why thank you.
I squeezed 33x12.50x15 tires onto the stock 6.5" or 7" rims. Minimum rim size 8.5-11". I'm still working on a good pressure for them though. On a full left turn the driver side tire rubs on the sway bar.

Not so much are they working, but more the ergonomics. i have found when you drive an unfamiliar car, finding the little things can be tough, as well as some are located in weird or inconvenient locations. just the nitpicky stuff.

I find them to be adequate. I CAN'T see the hazard light, rear defrost, cruise control, and fog light buttons. They are hidden by the steering wheel. There are also a few extra buttons on the headlight lever and windshield wiper lever. Just new amenities to be learned.

I only wish I had gotten an OBDII truck so that I am able to use the OBD scanner to diagnose any issues. I may buy the mitsubishi scanner one day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles