Opinions on these Hella lights...

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Rebased HID capusules in halogen reflectors?
Lots and lots of cheap and stinky light with terrible focus. Pass.
You can get some real HID lights for similar or less money.

Ask this same question on Candlepower Forums and they'd tear you apart...

Lol, thanks for the opinion. :D

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I have both Hella 500 & 700's (have 500's on my 2 door Montero and 700's on my 4 door) with the stock 55w bulbs. Over the years, I've come to realize though that I rarely need their reach off road because the reality is, I'm driving no faster than 45mph on the trail at night. Yes, it is cool to be able to really reach out and light up a mile ahead of me but in all practicality, I don't need the light out that far.

If I were to buy lights today I'd be focused on buying decent fog/flood lamps instead and that being said, I'm not sure how much brighter they would be with HID's.

So what kind of night driving do you intend to do?

Other than that, it does sound like a decent deal so long as the light electronics are solid (even if they provide a lifetime warranty).

Up above lone pine, independence, golden trout wilderness, etc...eventually up in glaciar national park, and then more locally around anza borrego and Big bear.

I never INTEND to drive @ night, but as it often happens, late nights rolling into and out of camp does happen every once in a while.

Paladin

Banned
I've got the 500FF's on my roof, 4 of them. I think they're good value for the price. The pattern isn't great, but I think it's fine for a truck that probably never exceeds 70mph on the highway, or 40mph on dirt roads.

They aren't nearly as good as my FF1000's, which in turn aren't nearly as good as some Hella 4000's but... as I said, for the intended purpose and price, they're good value.

I would pass on the HID's. Unnecessary complexity, and probably lots of light you don't need. With my lows, highs, the FF1000's on the bumper and 4 500FF's on the roof, I've got MORE than enough light.

My Dad picked up some old style 500's from Walmart for $25 a few years back. Put those on his 99 Yukon which has attrociously bad lighting. Those lights really weren't great, but still probably a 400% improvement over the stock high beams. The 500FF's have an even better pattern.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Good lord.
Hella makes some fine products but anything with a 500 on it isn't one of them...

HIDx is a good cheap-n-stinky HID light. They last longer than they should and put out a focused beam pattern. Sort of.
But it's good for offroad.
Sort of.
If you swap bulbs to a 4350K capsule.

I'm taking my BP med now.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Good lord.
Hella makes some fine products but anything with a 500 on it isn't one of them...

HIDx is a good cheap-n-stinky HID light. They last longer than they should and put out a focused beam pattern. Sort of.
But it's good for offroad.
Sort of.
If you swap bulbs to a 4350K capsule.

I'm taking my BP med now.

I honestly appreciate your passion and obviously knowledge on the subject.

Hella 700ff's are an option in that link, for a bit more $$. Is that a better light, whether or not I choose to go with the HID upgrade kit?

thanks.

-B

ccarm

Adventurer
I'd stray away from the HD conversion. I've known quite a few that have done something similar, and gained practically nothing from it. For the price, you could buy a set of 700's and have cash left in the bank for other modifications with just as much light as you'd need.

Just my two cents.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I'd stray away from the HD conversion. I've known quite a few that have done something similar, and gained practically nothing from it. For the price, you could buy a set of 700's and have cash left in the bank for other modifications with just as much light as you'd need.

Just my two cents.

Yeah, I'm thinking that's what I'll probably do. Is the 700 a better light over all, or just a bit bigger/brighter?

just read a review stating that the 700 is more of a pencil beam for longer range, vs the 500 which is more of a general dispersed flood.

Honestly the place my jeep is lacking is mostly in the long range viewing arena. E.G. seeing down the road to anticipate hazards like roots, rocks, deer, etc.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Reguardless of what others have said, the 500's are fine. Really. You probably do as much night offroading as I do, which is rare. They will serve you well. You can upgrade the bulbs if you want, but I find that the 55w bulbs offer plenty of light.

ccarm

Adventurer
Yeah, I'm thinking that's what I'll probably do. Is the 700 a better light over all, or just a bit bigger/brighter?

just read a review stating that the 700 is more of a pencil beam for longer range, vs the 500 which is more of a general dispersed flood.

Honestly the place my jeep is lacking is mostly in the long range viewing arena. E.G. seeing down the road to anticipate hazards like roots, rocks, deer, etc.

Not quite sure. What I do know is that no matter what either of them will be bright enough to light up 90-95% of everything I could do with my jeep. As far as the beam pattern, I'm not sure. Both are great lights, and can serve their purpose very well.

alexfm

Explorer
That's a good point, though having a bulb out on a light isn't really that big of a deal, it is somewhat inconvienient if I can't find a replacement easily.

Then agian they do have a lifetime warranty, so I likely wouldn't be paying much out of pocket.

I see hella 500's for about $70-80 for the kit. Is that around what you guys paid?

I got 2 sets on Amazon for $65.49 a pair. Cheapest I could find.

java

Expedition Leader
had 500's on a previous car. they didnt put out a ton of light and the pattern was aweful, had the spot version. first off road lights i had ever had. they were comparable to adding another set low beams, not bad but i know better now.
i now have the oriely HID's NO comparason, these are awesome for the money.

now a HID conversion 500 makes me angery. i say that because the reflector used for a halogen buld doesnt work worth a crap with a hid bulb, yes they will be really bright but there wont be a lot of useable light.

if you are gonna get them get the 7" ones, a bigger reflector will be more efficient. but still is designed for a halogen bulb

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
had 500's on a previous car. they didnt put out a ton of light and the pattern was aweful, had the spot version. first off road lights i had ever had. they were comparable to adding another set low beams, not bad but i know better now.
i now have the oriely HID's NO comparason, these are awesome for the money.

now a HID conversion 500 makes me angery. i say that because the reflector used for a halogen buld doesnt work worth a crap with a hid bulb, yes they will be really bright but there wont be a lot of useable light.

if you are gonna get them get the 7" ones, a bigger reflector will be more efficient. but still is designed for a halogen bulb
What he said.

I like the beam pattern from the Rallye 4000s much better than the 500 or 700. Nice lights, born halogens --- should be kept halogens...

Is this just for offroad? If so, take a look at something like this. Or these monstrosities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz