Opinions on these Hella lights...

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I know Hella's are a pretty good value, but not too sure about the HID conversion. I'd be putting them on my front winch bumper.

mudbutt

Explorer
Can't help you with the lights themselves as I don't have any experience with HID's. But:

1) That seems like a great, great deal.

2) I have met Tony and he's a straight shooter. I'd buy from him.

3) Robert K. did all the axle/gear/locker work on my XJ. You'd be hard pressed to find a more honest, helpful, stand up guy anywhere in the Jeep world.

If you need/want HID's then jump on it.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Can't help you with the lights themselves as I don't have any experience with HID's. But:

1) That seems like a great, great deal.

2) I have met Tony and he's a straight shooter. I'd buy from him.

3) Robert K. did all the axle/gear/locker work on my XJ. You'd be hard pressed to find a more honest, helpful, stand up guy anywhere in the Jeep world.

If you need/want HID's then jump on it.

Yup, Robert is good people. I have 100% confidence in dealing with him.

I don't think he'd be selling something that isn't a good product, and with a lifetime warranty on the ballast and bulb, I figure I can't really go wrong.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
That seems like a great deal to me. Question is, do you really need HID lights? Regular Hella 500's are much cheaper.:peepwall:

ExpoMike

I agree with what other are saying. As for the question, "do you have HIDs?" so far I have not ever had them. Have had a lot of offroad lights and typically a 100w bulb works fine if I need it really bright or 55w for street use lights. Nice thing, if the bulb goes out, I can easily swap a new one from any local parts store. If your HID goes out on a trip, you're not getting a replacement on the road. Just something to think about.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Nope. I run 2 Hella 500's (with the stock bulbs) and Silvania Silver Star Ultra headlamp bulbs. Last weekend at Death Valley we were out on the trail at midnight and this setup provided plenty of light.

good question...:ylsmoke:

Do you have HIDs?

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I have 2 Hella 500's on my front bumper and they work great. I have never been left wanting more from them.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I agree with what other are saying. As for the question, "do you have HIDs?" so far I have not ever had them. Have had a lot of offroad lights and typically a 100w bulb works fine if I need it really bright or 55w for street use lights. Nice thing, if the bulb goes out, I can easily swap a new one from any local parts store. If your HID goes out on a trip, you're not getting a replacement on the road. Just something to think about.

That's a good point, though having a bulb out on a light isn't really that big of a deal, it is somewhat inconvienient if I can't find a replacement easily.

Then agian they do have a lifetime warranty, so I likely wouldn't be paying much out of pocket.

I see hella 500's for about $70-80 for the kit. Is that around what you guys paid?

Amauri

Explorer
I have a pair of 700ff's with 100w bulbs on my heep, they work great but I will probably put HID's in them eventually...

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
They were cheapest at Amazon.com. I remember them being $65 ish.

That's a good point, though having a bulb out on a light isn't really that big of a deal, it is somewhat inconvienient if I can't find a replacement easily.

Then agian they do have a lifetime warranty, so I likely wouldn't be paying much out of pocket.

I see hella 500's for about $70-80 for the kit. Is that around what you guys paid?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I have both Hella 500 & 700's (have 500's on my 2 door Montero and 700's on my 4 door) with the stock 55w bulbs. Over the years, I've come to realize though that I rarely need their reach off road because the reality is, I'm driving no faster than 45mph on the trail at night. Yes, it is cool to be able to really reach out and light up a mile ahead of me but in all practicality, I don't need the light out that far.

If I were to buy lights today I'd be focused on buying decent fog/flood lamps instead and that being said, I'm not sure how much brighter they would be with HID's.

So what kind of night driving do you intend to do?

Other than that, it does sound like a decent deal so long as the light electronics are solid (even if they provide a lifetime warranty).

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
They were cheapest at Amazon.com. I remember them being $65 ish.

10-4

In looking at the kit, do you see the upgrade as being reversable? I wonder if I would be able to keep the stock bulbs as spares, and simply disconnect the HID's and replace them with standard halogens. (bypassing the HID ballast) in the event of a HID bulb failure.

Still kinda mulling it over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles