Thread: Our GXV Build

Default Questions on truck configuration/options.

Hello Blackeye,
    I have been following this thread with grate interest.
    For the last two months I have been working with International Mexico to configure a 7300 4x4 extended cab. The truck will be built in the USA and imported into Mexico by International. We have narrowed the options list to a point in which I feel comfortable with most of them.
    One thing that I requested but seams not to be possible is an option to disconnect the ABS. The only option is PERMANENT ABS, are you able to disconnect the ABS, or you also have PERMANENT ABS on your rig ?
    I have selected the Allison 3500 automatic 5 speed wide ratio transmission and a Meritor MTC 4208 two speed transfer case with PTO provision. Do you have this same set up ? Any comments on how it performs on hwy and off road ?
    Thanks a lot in advance,
    Felipe
    U100L

My Unimog U500 has a switch to disable the ABS, a warning light comes on. If you can get the chassis wiring diagram, I am willing to bet that interrupting one wire with an illuminated switch (illuminated when "off") would do it. I do not think that an ABS malfunction makes air brake trucks lock up; rather, just a warning light comes on.
    But the wiring diagram is essential.
    Also, regarding the electronic Allison 5 spd: if my facts are correct, 5th is 0.75 and there is a 6th gear of 0.65 "hidden" in the trans just awaiting electronic activation. If that is true, you could have it activated and order shorter (numerically higher) axle gears, i.e. 4.56 instead of 3.90 or 3.73 or whatever or 5.125 instead of 4.30 etc etc. Depending on tire size. Because low range in those big transfer cases just isn't all that low.

Charlie

Charlie
    Unimog U500 with Unicat camper; diesel BMW X5 35d, diesel BJ40 Landcruiser and diesel M37

Just saw your rig on the Travel Channel!

Fun to see some video of it.

Of course the commentary was a little over the top, but did they call it an earth roamer at one point. oops.
    Tacoma - For Extended Overland Travels
    2012 FWC - The TARDIS

Trip Reports - Travels with Hadley

-Nathanael
    Large Format Photography
    www.KuenzliPhotography.com

Thanks for the heads up. We have been travelling and have not been watching the TV. We have been notified by folks several times when stopping for fuel, etc. that they just saw our rig on the show. One of these days we'll track it down and watch it.
    Last edited by Blackeye; 06-14-2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: spelling
    I wonder as I wander, out under the sky...

2012 INTERNATIONAL WorkStar 7500 4x4 with GXV Safari Extreme cabin
    http://www.overlandtraining.com/ Overland Certified #OC0008

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeye View Post
    We have been travelling and have not been watching the TV.
    Wow that should be a bumper sticker or something. I feel good just reading that!
    Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, The moment one commits, then Providence moves too. Things occur to help that no one could have dreamed would have come their way. Whatever you dream , begin it. Boldness has power, and magic in it. Begin it now

Okay Overland and Blackeye...

Your post intrigued me... I searched high and low and I found the teaser segemnt of your truck... The VanPelt's build an amazing product, top notch...

http://www.travelchannel.com/video/t...-of-winnebagos
    SincEARly,
    Jon Wagner-Holtz
    Lake Buena Vista, FL

twitter: @Fat2Iron
    facebook.com/wagnerholtz

Thanks for the heads up and the link to the video. Any idea what the name of the show is? I'm interested to search for it on the DVR and watch the whole show someday.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeye View Post
    Thanks for the heads up and the link to the video. Any idea what the name of the show is? I'm interested to search for it on the DVR and watch the whole show someday.

Thanks!
    Not sure, just flipping through and saw your rig. Imagine how shocked I was to see it.

Sorry, all I know is it was on the travel channel. I bet GXV would know.
    Tacoma - For Extended Overland Travels
    2012 FWC - The TARDIS

Trip Reports - Travels with Hadley

-Nathanael
    Large Format Photography
    www.KuenzliPhotography.com

Hello Blackeye,
    Im about to place an order for a 7300 4x4 with international. The only thing remaining to decide is the axel gear ratio. There are 12 different options to choose from.

I have read that your have a 4.88. I will like to know how this ratio performs. What is you opinion ? what is your top highway speed ? at what engine RPM's ? how is the performance when you switch to low range on the transfer case ? is it low enough ? I could choose a 6.14 and try to "unlock" the 6th gear on the Alison transmission as Charlie suggested, but I will like to hear your opinion on the set up that you have before making the decision.
    Thanks a lot
    Regards
    Felipe

Hi Felipe,

We are really pleased with the 4.88. It is a great balance with the MaxxForce 10 engine. The truck pulls hills really well and rolls along on the highway easily. I have run at 75 mph for short durations. However, because the GOODYEAR G178 tires are speed rated at 68 mph, we usually top out at 65 mph. I don't recall for sure, but i think the RPM at 65 mph is around 1,100 RPM. We really like the ALLISON 3000 and the Engine Brake. This combo make traffic and mountainous descents a breeze. Last month, I drove from Grand Junction, CO to Denver, CO without using the brakes (except when we pulled of in Frisco to walk around).

I suggest asking and relying on the International Engineering Department for the best way to spec out your new rig. In my opinion, if you give them your performance specifications, they will "build" the rig with the right components and specifications.

I hope that this helps. All the best.

Blackeye

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast