Our GXV Build

The bare tires weight over 200 lbs without the rim, so I'd guess 250~275 lbs for the combo. That's why they need a winch to get the spare off its mount.

395/85R20 XZLs weigh 220-224 lb. Lemmerz 3 piece wheels weigh 116 lb, for a total of ~340 lb.

Charlie

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
It REALLY is not that hard at all to change one of those tires, I have done it several times.

Basically you need a pry bar that is about four feet long. You roll the tire in front of the hub, you use one hand on the tire, the other on the pry bar, and you lift it into place. Again, really rather easy.

Blackeye

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0008
Hello All
I was thinkng of doing the same kinda build as you are doing, I assume that the savings from doing your build this way saved a lot of money as compared by buying a turnkey unit. The purchase of the chassis and shipping it to GXV did it save you a lot? Did you ask about changing the floor plan.. in my case change one kingsize bed to two singles, was wondering if its's a substancial price increase?
Thanks in advance for any info you can give.
Lou

I suggest giving GXV a call and discuss your ideas. Each build is a little different.

Blackeye

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0008
Here are some "teaser" shots...

STP61581-XL.jpg

STP61633-XL.jpg

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
How...

How can you stand the wait!?!? I would be climbing the walls with such a GREAT Christmas present in the works!

mervifwdc

Adventurer
I watched a trucker friend of mine change a wheel while he had a broken leg! He had 2 long pry bars of about 4' length each, and put them both under the tyre, one at 5 o'clock and one at 7 o'clock. He had the old wheel off and the new one on as quick as I could wheel them from tyre carrier.

It REALLY is not that hard at all to change one of those tires, I have done it several times.

Basically you need a pry bar that is about four feet long. You roll the tire in front of the hub, you use one hand on the tire, the other on the pry bar, and you lift it into place. Again, really rather easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles