Our GXV Build

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Very nice rig, good chassis choice. Can I ask what the overall height is?
Thanks,
Mark.

Blackeye

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0008
Very nice rig, good chassis choice. Can I ask what the overall height is?
Thanks,
Mark.

Mark,

Thanks for the compliments. It is about 12' 4" to the top of the A/C cover. We just say 13' so we are safe.

Thanks again,

Blackeye

ericvs

attachment.php

amazing truck! Just a thought after looking through this thread. You should add some nice aux. driving lights in the spot where the original headlights used to be. Maybe another pair of those Hella lights like you have on the roof (cause it looks like you might need more lights :)).

Good work. Subscribed!

Blackeye

attachment.php

amazing truck! Just a thought after looking through this thread. You should add some nice aux. driving lights in the spot where the original headlights used to be. Maybe another pair of those Hella lights like you have on the roof (cause it looks like you might need more lights :)).

Good work. Subscribed!

Thx! It is already "in the works". The factory omitted the cradle and the wiring harness behind the "Orphan Annie" blank out plates. After discussion with the dealer, they agreed to supply what is needed to install lights in the factory locations. Of course, they will be for "off-road use only". wink-wink

As it turns out, the 20" Rigid LED bar in conjunction with the high beams makes for a great driving light. I have to be very judicious about the use of the LED bar as it is so effective.

Thanks again!

Jeep

Mark,

Thanks for the compliments. It is about 12' 4" to the top of the A/C cover. We just say 13' so we are safe.

Thanks again,

Blackeye

Have you ran into anything where the height was giving you any trouble? My rig is 11'6" to the top which is why I'm asking, I went through a lot of work to build it as roomy and low as possible, hopefully it's low enough!

Thanks,
Mark.

Blackeye

Not yet. Our previous rig (Sportsmobile) was +/- 10' 3" and so I was always aware of height while driving it. I know that it wouldn't be too much trouble to find some low hanging trees but in terms of bridges and or wires, no problems so far. The height is a trade-off for interior headroom. For us, I'll take the headroom and will just be aware of the height limitations as they present themselves.

Jeep

For us, I'll take the headroom and will just be aware of the height limitations as they present themselves.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much my take on that subject too.
Thanks again.

Frank

Explorer
Very fun read from page 1.

Very inspiring to think about the "what if's" for myself in the future.

The question no one else has asked now that you have had it down the road a few miles, what do you regret about the vehicle? Did you not add something you wish you would have or found an option you thought you would use but haven't needed?

Also, maybe I missed it, are you also equipped with solar panels?

clcoyle

Explorer
Just saw the show "Extreme RV" on the Travel Channel which did a whole feature on the GXV Overland Vehicle Line. Pretty amazing stuff and I cant wait to see your rig.

Blackeye

Very fun read from page 1.

Very inspiring to think about the "what if's" for myself in the future.

The question no one else has asked now that you have had it down the road a few miles, what do you regret about the vehicle? Did you not add something you wish you would have or found an option you thought you would use but haven't needed?

Also, maybe I missed it, are you also equipped with solar panels?

Frank,

Thanks for your kind words. We discussed your questions and really the only thing that we "would do that we didn't do" would be to add a fold-out or slide out step for accessing the bed. We use a small folding step that easily fits into one of the drawers under the bed so ity is really not a big deal. We just thought it would be kinda trick to have a permanent step that stows away easily. I have discussed this with GXV and they are looking into incorporating this into future builds.

In response to your last question, yes, we have two solar panels on the roof.

Thanks,

Blackeye

VicHanson

Adventurer
Hi Andy,

Vic here, we just met at the roadside viewing area north of Santa Barbara, CA. I have been having a great time reading about your GXV build! Still only up to page 10, but will have to finish another time. It was nice meeting and talking to you, will see you in the morning if you don't leave too early! I actually was heading north on 101 and was looking for a place to park for the evening when I saw you rig as I passed by. I had stopped at the same area heading south about 1 1/2 years ago so was trying to find it again. I made the first available U-turn to come back and check it out, figuring that I might find a place to park for the night as well.

brut4s

Adventurer
Blackeye I belive I saw you in Alameda California today wanted to check out your rig but I was taking friends to the airport. Very sweet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online