Our GXV Build

Blackeye

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0008
Those antennas looks great on your rig. It's mirror mounted?

Yes, the white antenna are for the CB radio. The center mounted antenna is for the YAESU 8800-R dual band HAM radio. The CB radio is used for convoy communication when others in the group are using CB. We had the antenna included in the build because it is quite affordable that way. I primarily use the CB antenna for a height gauge. I know that if they touch, it is time to reconsider forward progress. They are just a little taller than the top of the air conditioner.

TomH

Adventurer
Andy, you have an awesom rig. I appreciate the logic you laid out in choosing this particular rig and I agree that choice of vehicle is a very personal decision.

I wonder if you could help me in doing some cost analysis of my own. You stated the expected lifetime of your rig in miles, but I cannot find where you stated the cost. For myself, I wonder whether I could go through two or three EarthRoamers or Provan Siberian Tigers for the same total cost and mileage. While true that your vehicle offers more space and better off road ability, I wonder whether that is offset by mileage. Just so I have some reference points in doing a cost analysis of what's best for my own family, May I please pose these questions:

What was the cost of your vehicle to date?

What upfitting expenses do you anticipate for hydro winch, other items?

What mpg are you getting hwy., backcountry, etc.?

How many miles do you expect to get on a set of tires?

What will a replacement set of tires cost?

What are your insurance coverages and costs?

What are your registration and license plate fees?

How much better has your rig been in reaching remote destinations than say, an EarthRoamer might be? Have you had to turn around in any backcountry situations where the vehicle was too high. Have you had any experience yet in urban driving and parking, and if so, what problems did you have?

I do not see the "Expedition" body on the GXV site. It looks like a modified Safari Extreme; is that correct, or do they have other models not shown on their site? Can you give any more insight about the pros and cons of GXV's larger models when compared to each other, and how you settled on your model vs their other offerings?

I appreciate you taking the time to address these issues.

Appreciatively,
Tom

Last edited:

Blackeye

Hi Tom,

I apologize for the delay in responding to your post and thank you for your kind words.

It looks like you are trying to make some decisions or at least perform a cost / benefit analysis. As you mention, the choice of a rig is a very personal decision and I would add that the analysis is also a very personal, individual and complex process.

I agree with you that one could theoretically go through several other rigs for the same overall cost of a fully-kitted out GXV. We chose not to. Regarding the cost of a rig like ours, I would direct you to discuss costs and options with Rene’ Van Pelt at Global Expedition Vehicles (GXV). Each rig is a little different and the options seem endless.

What was the cost of your vehicle to date? – The only items that we have added are an air hose connection to the air tanks and we have upgraded the OEM headlights that were installed in the bumper. We also had the trim rings powder coated black. I suggest that you contact Rene’ at GXV as each rig is different and they have many different options and packages to choose from. Once you narrow down what your needs / wants are, you will have a pretty accurate cost.

What upfitting expenses do you anticipate for hydro winch, other items? – I haven’t gotten to the winch pricing yet. We are currently considering a rear-mounted electric over hydraulic winch.

What mpg are you getting hwy., backcountry, etc.? – Combined mpg is around 8.

How many miles do you expect to get on a set of tires? – I do not know.

What will a replacement set of tires cost? – I do not know.

What are your insurance coverages and costs? – I have this vehicle insured along with several others so the cost is not applicable to a stand-alone policy.

What are your registration and license plate fees? – They will vary from state to state. It is registered as a Motorhome and not as a commercial vehicle.

How much better has your rig been in reaching remote destinations than say, an EarthRoamer might be? – I do not know. I’ll have to set up some outings with some of my ER buddies. :smiley_drive:

Have you had to turn around in any backcountry situations where the vehicle was too high. – Not yet, but I know the rig has height limitations.

Have you had any experience yet in urban driving and parking, and if so, what problems did you have? – It has been quite easy to drive and park. The turning radius is really the only consideration.

I do not see the "Expedition" body on the GXV site. It looks like a modified Safari Extreme; is that correct, or do they have other models not shown on their site? – It looks like it is listed under the “Safari Extreme”.

Can you give any more insight about the pros and cons of GXV's larger models when compared to each other, and how you settled on your model vs. their other offerings? – We liked the overall size of the Safari Extreme body. We really like the floorplan with the bath forward, the tall cab-to-cabin access and the side Dinette area.

I hope that this information is helpful.

Blackeye

Felipe

Observer
Questions on truck configuration/options.

Hello Blackeye,
I have been following this thread with grate interest.
For the last two months I have been working with International Mexico to configure a 7300 4x4 extended cab. The truck will be built in the USA and imported into Mexico by International. We have narrowed the options list to a point in which I feel comfortable with most of them.
One thing that I requested but seams not to be possible is an option to disconnect the ABS. The only option is PERMANENT ABS, are you able to disconnect the ABS, or you also have PERMANENT ABS on your rig ?
I have selected the Allison 3500 automatic 5 speed wide ratio transmission and a Meritor MTC 4208 two speed transfer case with PTO provision. Do you have this same set up ? Any comments on how it performs on hwy and off road ?
Thanks a lot in advance,
Felipe
U100L

My Unimog U500 has a switch to disable the ABS, a warning light comes on. If you can get the chassis wiring diagram, I am willing to bet that interrupting one wire with an illuminated switch (illuminated when "off") would do it. I do not think that an ABS malfunction makes air brake trucks lock up; rather, just a warning light comes on.
But the wiring diagram is essential.
Also, regarding the electronic Allison 5 spd: if my facts are correct, 5th is 0.75 and there is a 6th gear of 0.65 "hidden" in the trans just awaiting electronic activation. If that is true, you could have it activated and order shorter (numerically higher) axle gears, i.e. 4.56 instead of 3.90 or 3.73 or whatever or 5.125 instead of 4.30 etc etc. Depending on tire size. Because low range in those big transfer cases just isn't all that low.

Charlie

Charlie

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Just saw your rig on the Travel Channel!

Fun to see some video of it.

Of course the commentary was a little over the top, but did they call it an earth roamer at one point. oops.

Blackeye

Thanks for the heads up. We have been travelling and have not been watching the TV. We have been notified by folks several times when stopping for fuel, etc. that they just saw our rig on the show. One of these days we'll track it down and watch it.

Last edited:

Blackeye

Thanks for the heads up and the link to the video. Any idea what the name of the show is? I'm interested to search for it on the DVR and watch the whole show someday.

Thanks!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Thanks for the heads up and the link to the video. Any idea what the name of the show is? I'm interested to search for it on the DVR and watch the whole show someday.

Thanks!

Not sure, just flipping through and saw your rig. Imagine how shocked I was to see it.

Sorry, all I know is it was on the travel channel. I bet GXV would know.

Felipe

Observer
Hello Blackeye,
Im about to place an order for a 7300 4x4 with international. The only thing remaining to decide is the axel gear ratio. There are 12 different options to choose from.

I have read that your have a 4.88. I will like to know how this ratio performs. What is you opinion ? what is your top highway speed ? at what engine RPM's ? how is the performance when you switch to low range on the transfer case ? is it low enough ? I could choose a 6.14 and try to "unlock" the 6th gear on the Alison transmission as Charlie suggested, but I will like to hear your opinion on the set up that you have before making the decision.
Thanks a lot
Regards
Felipe

Blackeye

Hi Felipe,

We are really pleased with the 4.88. It is a great balance with the MaxxForce 10 engine. The truck pulls hills really well and rolls along on the highway easily. I have run at 75 mph for short durations. However, because the GOODYEAR G178 tires are speed rated at 68 mph, we usually top out at 65 mph. I don't recall for sure, but i think the RPM at 65 mph is around 1,100 RPM. We really like the ALLISON 3000 and the Engine Brake. This combo make traffic and mountainous descents a breeze. Last month, I drove from Grand Junction, CO to Denver, CO without using the brakes (except when we pulled of in Frisco to walk around).

I suggest asking and relying on the International Engineering Department for the best way to spec out your new rig. In my opinion, if you give them your performance specifications, they will "build" the rig with the right components and specifications.

I hope that this helps. All the best.

Blackeye

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online