Need to re-upholster my seats...

off-roader

Expedition Leader
The front leather seats in my 96 Montero are shot especially the driver side.

They need to be reupholstered & the foam cushions replaced.

I'd like the new upholstery leather to match the current 2 tone leather of the existing rear seats. In addition to new foam (probably just needed on the driver side) I want to have reliable heated inserts installed into the seat and back.

Anyone have this done before? Where should I start looking? I'm in the California central valley between Stockton & Modesto but I'm willing to take it as far as the SF bay area.

TIA.

Wyowanderer

Explorer
The front leather seats in my 96 Montero are shot especially the driver side.

They need to be reupholstered & the foam cushions replaced.

I'd like the new upholstery leather to match the current 2 tone leather of the existing rear seats. In addition to new foam (probably just needed on the driver side) I want to have reliable heated inserts installed into the seat and back.

Anyone have this done before? Where should I start looking? I'm in the California central valley between Stockton & Modesto but I'm willing to take it as far as the SF bay area.

TIA.

I'd get out the yellow pages/look on the 'net and start making some calls. Look for an upholsterer that's done the work (on your type of rig) before and is eager to do your work. He or she will have a good selection of fabrics to chooses from, and can special order what they don't have.
If they're like the ones around here, it's best not to get in a hurry.
Can't help you on the seat heaters, but I'd start at the dealership parts counter.

lam396

Adventurer
Check out http://www.katzkin.com/. They have really good quality and I think you can do it yourself if you take your time and are patient. Just take the old cloth off and then fit the new skins on. I think you can order them with new padding sewn into the covers so it wouldn't be all new pads but it would "freshen" up the old stuff. As far as the heated seats go, I've read good reviews on the kits from this place http://www.heatedseatkits.com/. I have read that you can hook them up to OEM switches if those are available for your Montero. Order the switches and the heated seat kit, run wires and install the kit before you put the new skins on. If I ever redo my interior this is route I will probably go.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I'd get out the yellow pages/look on the 'net and start making some calls. Look for an upholsterer that's done the work (on your type of rig) before and is eager to do your work. He or she will have a good selection of fabrics to chooses from, and can special order what they don't have.
If they're like the ones around here, it's best not to get in a hurry.
Can't help you on the seat heaters, but I'd start at the dealership parts counter.

Yeah, I'll also check their reviews online. No thanks on dealership items. New leather seat covers are $1000 from them.:Wow1:

Check out http://www.katzkin.com/. They have really good quality and I think you can do it yourself if you take your time and are patient. Just take the old cloth off and then fit the new skins on. I think you can order them with new padding sewn into the covers so it wouldn't be all new pads but it would "freshen" up the old stuff. As far as the heated seats go, I've read good reviews on the kits from this place http://www.heatedseatkits.com/. I have read that you can hook them up to OEM switches if those are available for your Montero. Order the switches and the heated seat kit, run wires and install the kit before you put the new skins on. If I ever redo my interior this is route I will probably go.

I do need to refresh the seat cushions since they are compressed a bit more on one side.

I'll also check out the Katskins folks. Unfortunately their site doesn't list their dealer or installer network.

Heated seat kits looks pretty promising. Thanks!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles