FG spares and tools

kerry

Expedition Leader
I haven't given much thought yet to the appropriate spares and tools to carry in my FG since I haven't traveled far from civilization with it. (although I did go to Canada:)) I've had a starter, alternator belts and secondary fuel filters onboard for a while but that was a brainless act. So, I thought I'd start this thread to get input from people who have put lots of miles on them about what would be necessary spares.

I'm thinking that in addition to the starter and alternator and filters one should also carry:
Extra glowplugs for cold weather.
I think there's a heavy fuse in the glow circuit somewhere--a couple of those.
Water pump
U-joints (are they all the same?)
Fan clutch?--do they fail often
Does the vacuum pump ever fail?
Lug nuts and bolts?
Bulbs
Brake and clutch masters?--I had to replace the clutch master this summer.
Clutch slave
Brake wheel cylinders
Starter relays
What about bearings and seals?
Any special tools that are necessary for crucial parts?
An injector or two?

Add to the list please.
Ever any problems in the shift linkages?

Last edited:

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I guess that the determining factor is how far off the grid you intend to go, and for how long you plan on staying there.
I will not try and pretend that I am an experienced expo traveller but I did spend many years in the army going "bush" often. Yes, stuff can break, but where do you draw the line?
My method is quite simplistic; take only the bare essentials. Things like spare belts, bulbs, fuses etc. are, as you say, a no brainer. You should always carry these. As for all the other stuff you listed.... are you also going to take all of the required tools needed to change those parts? Well, it would be pointless having the parts and no way of installing them. So now you probably have a couple of hundred kilos of spares and tools to put somewhere. Do you have the required storage space for all of this stuff?
We live in a world where pretty much anything can be obtained in a few days, from just about anywhere. If the purpose of your travels is to escape from the rat race then a bit of down time, although it may be a little inconvenient, can just be used to relax and enjoy where you are a little more.
But hey, what would I know.... ;)

kerry

Expedition Leader
I do carry the tools--I thought that was a given:) I have room to carry spares. As an example, I was in Newfoundland this summer. No Fuso dealer in Newfoundland at all. At the time I thought I was having problems with my starter but it actually was my batteries. Closest Fuso dealer was in New Brunswick but he didn't have a starter and suggested it might even be hard to find one in Eastern Canada because they rebuilt all theirs.
I don't mind down time, as long as I have no deadlines. But on the other hand, I don't want to be stuck in some mosquito infested remote campground waiting for weeks on end for the Fed Ex truck to arrive with a part.
At least in North America, it appears that Fuso parts are not available at NAPA or other chain stores and only available from dealers. Busbees is a good source for used parts and some advance thinking might get better prices since specific parts are not always immediately available on the used market.
Plus, I was in the Cub Scouts once so I like to be prepared.

In Newfoundland, I visited L'Anse aux Meadows, where the Vikings first landed in North America. They actually set up a smelter at their settlement to make nails from iron ore to repair their boats. I'm hoping not to have to resort to that with the Fuso:)

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Yes, **** happens.... unfortunately there is nothing that we can do about that. ;)

If it comes down to carrying numerous spares then, in my opinion, these should be for those potentially catastrophic failures; the failures that will have you stuck and not being able to go anywhere.
You mentioned carrying things like spare injectors. If an injector fails then the engine will still run, albeit roughly and with less power, but it will still run.
Rarely does a bearing explode (yes, I know they can) so even if something like this is damaged you should be able to limp back to civilization. I don't know about you, but I like to change bearings in a very clean environment. As I said, I was in the army and did many "bush repairs" to get equipment back up and running. Given that the army did not care much for how much stuff cost, we got things working while out bush but as soon as we returned to base the equipment was in the workshop getting fixed "properly". This normally involved discarding anything that was not 100%.
My personal experience with anything mechanical is that if you do regular maintenance on it and change things when there is obvious signs of wear then you definitely reduce those failures that seem to occur at the most inappropriate times.
Getting 120%, or more, out of a part is definitely the cost effective way to go, but it definitely has the potential to reduce reliability. If you are going on a trip do a thorough maintenance inspection before you set out. Keep records of when you change parts and note things that should be changed at the next major service.
As is always the case; prevention is always better (an normally simpler) than a cure. :)

FusoFG

Adventurer
I think the FG is a very reliable vehicle and if you have the service done every 6000 miles or at least the "big" service every 12,000 miles by a compentent dealer you have a better chance of catching problems before they surprise you in the field.

After 10 years and 120,000 miles traveling through the US and Canada I have never had a component failure that disabled my 1994 FG.

The only failures I had in that time were the fan motor on the A/C condensor and a broken or lost clutch slave cylinder return spring. I had a spare for the return spring.

The only other propblem was loose / missing nuts on the Alternator attachment bolts about 10,000 miles after a dealer had changed the alternator belt.

The only problems I've had with my 2004 FG in 42,000 miles is a loose front differential drain plug 10,000 miles after the dealer had changed the differential oil.

And the rubber plug on end of the injector return line came off while driving on a Canadian expressway on a Sunday.

It was nearly a disabling event until I was able to plug the line with a small piece of tubing, a couple of small hose clamps and a 1/4" bolt.

No dealer had this part in stock and it took several days to special order.

Later I determined that I had caused the problem by kinking the fuel return line near the tank and the constriction caused a pressure build up that blew the rubber plug off during a sustained high speed run.

Besides engine oil, grease, coolant, filters, belts, wire ties, hose clamps, miscellaneous nuts, bolts, clamps, tire valve cores, fuses, wire and connectors I carry:

a fusible link (located near the battery box)
a clutch slave cylinder return spring
rubber plug and clamps for the injector return line
alternator brushes

kerry

Expedition Leader
I think the FG is a very reliable vehicle a

I agree. But I think you started out with brand new FG's whereas I'm starting out with an FG with 176k miles on it (albeit with a new engine) so the situation is somewhat different. I did have a clutch master cylinder fail on the trip to Newfoundland this year.

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Wow Pete!! How long ago was that thread? BTW Shaun's still doing the same thing every night......They've still got 2 or 3 FG 649's left in service and the rest are all FG 84's now.

A while ago John but i do read it time to time takes me awhile to remember it all.
Well that is good Shaun is still working away keeping them on the track/beach.
Well tell him to let us know when they get rid of the FG649's so they can off load sum parts my way lol lol.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
resurrecting an old thread, but I think it is the most relevant... As I try to identify substitutes fluids, I do okay with everything except "Fuso Diesel Long Life Coolant" - what is the spec of that coolant / alternates? Here's where I am -

fg fluids.jpg

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles