Interior fit out - what are the practicalities of white interior

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Hi all - we are just at the stage where we have to choose the colour scheme for the interior fit out.

We have basically decided to go with an all white interior, a semi gloss two-pack epoxy paint on the lining, cupboards etc, with a teak floor and bench tops with some teak inserts.

Before we commit to this, does anyone have some experience with white interiors and how do they stand up do the rigors of ROW traveling?

This is basically what we have chosen - Unicat's most popular colour scheme.

TC52comfort.i4-560.jpg

TC52comfort.i3-560.jpg

MD83h-MANTGS6x6.i06-560.jpg

I like the floors and the interior walls. If that is real wood on the floor, then it'll be warmer than linoleum AND you won't have to vacuum carpet. The white walls, while needing period cleaning, brightens the interior so that you can see better in dim light (so dark walls don't absorb so much light and make things darker), which is nice psychologically in socked-in conditions when you can't be outside or the weather is too bad to drive in. That's my take on it.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Thanks, that what we were thinking as well, but I just wanted to make sure in case I got 100 replies saying white was the worst possible colour as it was always dirty / impossible to keep clean etc etc.

We are going with a real teak floor, and most likely teak inserts into the cabinets

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
That looks very nice, and very heavy. I assume it's that covered particle board or chip board and the oak? trim. That makes a very nice cabinet and finish is easy to keep clean. Very nice! I could never use that in my truck or camper as the weight would be too much, but your rig can haul it! :wings:

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I'm not use what Unicat use, but mine very light weight - a composite consisting of 1.8mm ply, 12mm structural foam/ 1.8mm or 4mm ply. All up, the interior lining and furniture should weight around 100-120kg - at least that's what the people making them have worked out. The teak is only 5mm thick and the mouldings will also be fairly thin.

That looks very nice, and very heavy. I assume it's that covered particle board or chip board and the oak? trim. That makes a very nice cabinet and finish is easy to keep clean. Very nice! I could never use that in my truck or camper as the weight would be too much, but your rig can haul it! :wings:

egn

Adventurer
We have chosen white interior because we find that this makes us feeling the room is much larger than it really is. It also gives much more light inside, even outside is bad weather. We are really happy with the color scheme and would chose it again.

LukeH

Adventurer
Hey Iain, you can't just mention your exotic furniture board like that without giving us at least a link to the manufacturer. It's just not cricket.
A friend calls the white interior "tupperware style" he's right but it's easy to clean.

That's approximately what I'll be putting in; the wife loves that look. I'm just worried I won't get the edging finish up to Unicat (her) quality level. I'll never hear the end of it; of course I have to do it with no time and a non-existent budge too.

My only consideration would be that it might be interesting to have the exposed surfaces with a light "flecked" effect. It could avoid obsessive wiping each time the eye catches the pure white surface from a different angle and spots the lines of the last wiping effort.
Sort of very delicate cream freckles to break up the pure slabs of whiteness.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm making any sense; talking colour schemes is above my station, I'll get back to my weather satellite cryostat :)

Iain_U1250

Explorer
The guy building it is a precision woodworker - he does all sorts of custom woodwork, from restoring things like 50 year old Chris craft and 18th century carriages to high end yachts and even things like gun stocks.

My build will be simple y his standards, and whilst I could save a bit of money going elsewhere, I like his expertise and precision.

As far as the paint is concerned, it will be a semi-gloss two pack paint finish normally used in custom kitchens.

I've got a truck camper and all the wood is either oak or fake oak. The fabrics are greens, tans, and browns. As I'm constantly stinky dirty when I travel (I also have a Yellow Labrador Retriever and have just rescued a Golden Retriever), I think these are the best colors to "hide" the dirt, dust, and mud. I've lived in mine once for (5) months and plenty of times for several months over the past (5) years. I've never once thought that I wish the interior was white because I want it to feel bigger or somehow change the feel of the light. I try not to spend that much time inside as I'd rather be on the move or doing something. So, I'd say that white would be a huge no for me. I also hate cleaning...............

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
White Melamine with solid wood edging ( I would go for 3mm PVC edging) and white latex paint.

Latex is very easy to touch up and melamine is the most durable surface cabinet coating available these days...

Teak for a color contrast is wonderful.

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
If you all read the OP's post again, you'll see he's wanting input on the COLOR.
I think he's done his research and his mind is set on the materials.
So, Iain, go for the white. I like the light and the ease of touch ups with a single color too. You could always choose to accent the white walls down the line with slight variations in color, since all white is a little reminiscent of a psych ward....
I kid you not, an interior design book might be a good read just to give a couple of ideas of retaining the lightness in there but break up the white a tad. As for surfaces and cupboards, keep them white.
Most importantly, enjoy your travels.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
The wife says she likes the look of the Unicat interior- I think what that means is that it has been decided. :suning:

cwsqbm

Explorer
The one thing I like best about white is that its timeless. Its never totally in style - be the current style of dark woods, light woods, or even pastel colors - and therefore never really goes out of style. Looking at older RVs with trendy interiors and they look really dated now. ]

I'd consider leaving the cabinets white and paint the walls if you want a little color.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I agreed 100% with that - looking at some 4-5 year old RV and you think it was something out of the 70's in some cases. An all white interior never really dates.

The one thing I like best about white is that its timeless. Its never totally in style - be the current style of dark woods, light woods, or even pastel colors - and therefore never really goes out of style. Looking at older RVs with trendy interiors and they look really dated now. ]

I'd consider leaving the cabinets white and paint the walls if you want a little color.

mervifwdc

Adventurer
Another vote for white. We've bought 2nd hand, and much of the interior is painted in a medium grey, which is very practical as the previous owner used "floor paint" so it does'nt scuff, and can be scrubbed to clean it pretty easily, but we find it dark. White would be brighter, and we will probably change to white.

Merv.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles