Talladega National Forest- 01/29/11

stolenheron

Explorer
I've got 265/65/18 on my stock height truck now, and it rubs at the last 5% to steering lock. Not anything to worry about, but they're half tread so a fresh set might be different.

well there ya go, i was wrong.

the 285s will rub when steering with a lift or without, for future reference. at least they do on my truck

odomandr

Observer
I know this is an older thread but I'll be coming home around the holidays and want to plan something similar. Putting feelers out for any advice on route planning as we would like to stay on the skyway as much as possible but ending in Auburn would be sweet for this 2011 alum. If you see this I'd love any advice since I have been in Colorado since I graduated

Sent from my SM-N910T

stolenheron

Explorer
I know this is an older thread but I'll be coming home around the holidays and want to plan something similar. Putting feelers out for any advice on route planning as we would like to stay on the skyway as much as possible but ending in Auburn would be sweet for this 2011 alum. If you see this I'd love any advice since I have been in Colorado since I graduated

Sent from my SM-N910T

Following skyway all the way down is quite simple, but scenic bypass gets paved when you get near cheaha state park. I assume you want to try out the slightly more rough skyline drive on the way south too? I havent driven it now in almost 2 years, but last time it was all rain eroded gulleys and stacked rocks, a very basic trail for a stock truck, but something you dont want to underestimate either.

If you want to run the forest from start to finish, you will need to start up near Piedmont Alabama head south towards I20 through the forest, then into Heflin, then continue all the way south to Sylacauga is where it spits you out. If you're coming around the holidays, keep in mind it is public land and there are TONS of hunters utilizing it during that time period.

odomandr

Observer
I figured that staying the road from piedmont to Sylacauga would be a bit of a challenge for anyone without good directional skills but easy for the most part. I'd really like to hear about any good challenges nearby or trails one might jump on along the way. I've read about a few but alabama does have anything like traildamage or maybe I'm not aware.here is my truck on top of the world in Moab, it is very capable and beyond mud pits I'm pretty confident in anything I face
15ab56dc745d972c6b2ede55207400b4.jpg

unkamonkey

Explorer
Its not too hard to figure out, It's where the power lines run into Moab. Mostly service roads and some very erodded areas that are fun. People thought it would be a fun zip line down to the river, if you didn't mind hooking on to about 74,000 volts. The turnoff is about a mile East of Dewey Bridge to the West. No cell phone service at Dewey Bridge so you have to travel a few miles to get something.

nwflbiggin

I just moved to the Talladega area looking for some good trails to ride, I have a stock 4x4 frontier with all terrains, went looking for trails and all that but I also don't have a winch or anything and seen this post, maybe we could plan a trail ride or something to get to know a few trails? It's been a while since anyone has posted on this thread. Also, what are some good ways to find trails and not get lost while in the national forest? A certain gps? Thanks in advance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles