Tent search

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Still going to be tent camping when we use the jeep. need something with these specs

5-6person (we are 2 adults and 3 little guys)
clips only - no sleeves. sleeves suck. :D
high-quality poles
vestibule/porch possibly?
3-4 season build quality
heavy duty floor

Considering an rv5, but jeez I'd love to pay less than $900 for a tent.

Maybe in the $400-500 range?
I like Rei's stuff, but I didn't find a clip-only tent that wasn't small.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Springbar or Kodiak?

If weight and packed size are an issue, this won't fit the bill.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Springbar or Kodiak?

If weight and packed size are an issue, this won't fit the bill.

I have room next to our Yakbox on the roof for a longish tent like the RV5, so not really worried about that.

We also have a nice utility trailer that I might be re-working with a lock-n-roll, longer leaf springs, and some enclosed storage, so yeah, I'm cool with something having a largish pack size.

I'll have to check those two out. I think I've watched a few vid's of the springbar, actually.

thanks!

RusherRacing

Adventurer
Cabela's Alaskan w/ aluminum poles.
Not real light weight but a good quality tent. They do have short sleeves right at the top then everything else is clip on.

I have the cabela's XPG 4 person but it wouldn't be large enough for 3 little ones and yourselves. It doesnt' have any sleeves for the poles and it doesn't look like Cabela's offers one large enough for your purposes.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Then I would definitely check out the large Kodiak that Cabelas carries. Sometimes you can find them in the bargain cave for under $400.

EDIT: Flex Bow

Moody

Needs to get out more
Springbars are fantastic tents, and are certainly capable of the 4 season weather (they used a Family Camper at Everest Basecamp awhile back).

Even better is the fact they actually breathe when it is hot outside...nylon/polyester do not.

I grew up camping all around Utah in a Springbar.

bucketosudz

Explorer
Just a note on the two canvas tent makers, Kodiak tents are manufactured in China, Springbar in Utah if it matters to you. It is refreshing to know that if one were to have a problem, you wouldn't have far to get better customer service.

I purchased both last year, and can tell you that I never received the Kodiak, the service for me was unpleasant.

The Springbar was Excellent! Unfortunately we ended up selling ours on the cusp thinking we were going to get a tent trailer. Never solidified, but I will buy a Springbar again someday.

net4n6

Adventurer
nathan (nwoods) likes this one. If I set aside my hate of sleeves, it fulfills quite a few requirements on my list:

Rei Base camp 6
http://www.rei.com/product/777755?s...10456937&cm_mmc=CJ-_-Aff-_-4170002-_-10456937

I have Kingdom 6 and like it a lot.

http://www.rei.com/product/777768

Until this day, I had Kindom 6 but still looking at Pineview model from Turbo tent. The reason I chose Kindom 6 over Pineview turbo tent was the folded size and weight.

http://www.familytentcamping.com/site/1406228/product/30090

Last edited:

RusherRacing

Adventurer

georger

Growing up in Utah, I've always been a big Springbar fan. I have a well used three-person tent that's 32 years old. This survived a micro burst two years ago that shredded your standard Coleman's, etc.

Last year we bought a 5 person Kodiak. It hasn't been subject to the same batterings that the Springbar has, yet. It suits my family well and I hope to get another 30 out of it.

newmexico25

Hi
first post here but I picked up the REI Camp Dome 5 Tent at the rei outlet store for my wife, me, 2 yo and 2 60 pound dogs. It seems to be well made and you can get it as low as $130 depending on the time of the year. Right now it is $164. Hope that helps.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Hi
first post here but I picked up the REI Camp Dome 5 Tent at the rei outlet store for my wife, me, 2 yo and 2 60 pound dogs. It seems to be well made and you can get it as low as $130 depending on the time of the year. Right now it is $164. Hope that helps.

that's a great price, thanks for the info.

Oh, and welcome!:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles