F150 trucks

Chili

Explorer
I love that body style and when I'm in the market for a pick-up it will be that style in supercrew 4x4.

SightPicture

Observer
I absolutley love my F150. I don't think for one hot second that it is a"poor" or "lacking" platform for Expo. **** my perfect setup for my needs/wants would be to throw a leveling kit on there, a cap, an easily removable sleeping platform, and some good rubber. A receiver mounted winch would also be nice. I feel as though my '09 has plenty of power and the fuel mileage is pretty good for the size truck. My biggest problem is finding places around me to off road. Everything is freaking hours away, it sucks.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
The manual transfer case is nice because I know that I never have to worry about electronics to engage my four by, but You have to come to a complete stop and take the truck completely out of gear before engaging and even then I've had to turn the truck off, but for some reason the 4X4 on the floor seems more reliable.

i had a New Process NP241OR-HD in my wrangler, which was the largest chain driven transfercase made and it was manual, but the Borg Warner 44-06HD that is in my F150 is by far more reliable. i see your point however, and id honestly prefer manual components in nearly everything, but having electric stuff is reeeeeeally nice. i love having power windows :wings:

Got Beer

Observer
Kozmo, great looking truck. Exactly what I'm looking to do to mine. I agree with the more enjoyable reading found in the ExPo forum over the others. And that although not your traditional ExPo rig, one can get to a whole lot of fun places in the F150.

Ala5ka I've been following some of your stuff as well.

txflyyaker

Observer
I want to swap over the automatic transfer case to the manual, where is the best place to start gathering information on the process? I don't want to rely on the light in the dash telling me I'm in 4 by I want to know for sure.

Ala5ka

VX'er
I'd say it would be more headache than reward, but thats just me. The manual transfer case from any truck that matches your year will fit your truck, and a new shift handle and linkage should get the ball rolling. It will be a pain in the a** and you will be cutting a hole in your floor, but the clearance is all there and if you've got around $900 than go for it. The only upside that I see is that 4X4 will engage w/out the motor so it will be more reliable in colder temps, and you have the reliability of manual. The truck will not perform any differently and 4X4 is 4X4 electric or manual you get the same thing. Hope that helps. Oh P.S. if I'm wrong don't be surprised, but I think I mentioned it all.

txflyyaker

Observer
Ala5ka
On several occasions 4x4 has not engaged and it has always happened when its really needed and really cold. Yes, it's been really cold with several inches of ice and snow here in North Texas (Dallas/Ft Worth area) we have even been on the national news because of Super Bowl in town and the bad weather. The floor of the truck already has the floor prepped with a cover in place where the lever goes through. Acquiring the parts from a wrecking yard would be doable and installation would not be that hard, I wouldn't think. I also got your request. Thanks

ktn00000

Observer
Full disclosure is I have never had an F150, but I have had several F250's as well as Jeeps, Chevys, Dodges, etc.

Here is my two cents on any rig: what you care about is traction, clearance, angles (approach departure and break over), articulation, gears and durability.

F150 is a perfectly fine platform to start with and I dont get why people would say it isnt. Easy to get a tad more lift, lose the air dams, check the rear to see if angles can be improved out back, figure out what gears you have, figure out what tires you can take, and go from there.

I am guessing you can do quite a lot without spending a tremendous amount of money.

The thread on my F250 build http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54302

can do a lot with out spending a lot

txflyyaker

Observer
I got to thinkin' If I swap the automatic switch (on dash)in favor of the manual lever for tansfer case engagement, how will the front hubs lock? Do the front wheel hubs get an electrical signal from the dash switch also? :rolleyes:

Ala5ka

VX'er
I love my F series and I would like to keep making it more trail ready, but I hate having to feed that V8. I think at this point all I need is lockers, bumpers, and slider, but just that means about 4-5K if done right. I don't know about the locking hubs, maybe you can swap over to manual hubs like the olden days, jk I love manual hubs.

Ala5ka

VX'er
Here's mine as of today

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

bdbecker

Adventurer
Check out this setup: http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_ford.html

It bypasses the vacuum actuator and makes the 4x4 engagement a more reliable process. It works with either electric and manual t-case engagement methods. When the day comes that my OEM system lets me down, I'll be installing this on my truck.

Here's my ride.

IMG_5433.jpg

IMG_5592.jpg

IMG_5563.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94