I R Dum

MunkeyTX

Observer
My coolant level has been slowly dropping over the last three years I've had my 4Runner. Being the cheapskate SOB I am, I've been topping it off with just straight tap water.

Since "Snow'mageddon" is upon is, and we're actually going to drop below freezing for a few nights in a row, I suddenly realized that maybe my actions were not the smartest, and I might be waking up to a six cylinder ice cube.

I popped the cap on the reservoir and *gasp* I've diluted the coolant so much with water I can't even tell which type of anti-freeze I had in there!! Red?? Green?? Orange?? Polkadot??

The original plan was just to buy a gallon of antifreeze, drain out a gallon from the radiator, and replace it with the good stuff....but now I'm not sure what the good stuff is!

The only thing the manual states is: "Ethylene-Glycol Antifreeze (Do not use alcohol type)." I've heard some veeery bad things about mixing anti-freeze types; it'll cause the fluid to gel and ruin the water pump. I want to avoid an ice cubed engine, but I don't want to end up with it full of gummy worms.

So aside from a total flush and refill, what would ExPo do in my situation?

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
1998 4Runner SR5 5VZ 5-Spd 4x4

Flagster

Expedition Leader
just run a light bulb on an extension cord under the hood...or two...can't be getting that cold in TX

MunkeyTX

Observer
Don't you know? It's SNOW'MAGEDDON 2011!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!

I know...27* four nights in a row is not 'cold', but it's enough to make South Texas PANIC!!!

ARRRGGGHHHHH!! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIIIIIIEEEEE!!! I NEED TO FIND CHAINS FOR MY TIRES!!! MILK! EGGS! BREAD!

Ok...so...yeah...:sombrero:

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
A 1998 4Runner came with the red stuff. You have a choice though - go to the dealer and purchase some red/pink replacement or just buy some green "works in anything" Prestone from the local parts store. There are people who say never to put Prestone in anything but the reality is that thousands of people use it every hour.

Pete

4xdog

Explorer
The shop who does everything for my cars that I don't do is one of the *best* I've ever used.

They believe, for whatever joss it's worth, that genuine Toyota gives different results. Beats me, but that's what they used when I changed all the fluids in my 2001 Tacoma when I bought it in 2009.

I've had "coolant disappearance" problems on other vehicles in the past. It's often a good idea to track those down, 'cause something's going on, and there are possibilities that could affect driveability.

Last edited:

keezer37

Explorer
I believe most antifreezes are universal nowadays. I've noticed Toyota's isn't much more expensive than other good antifreezes. I use Amsoil. If your having to top it off though, I'd go with a cheaper brand.
Don't go nuts compensating for the lack of antifreeze in there now by overdoing it. I've heard (but have not experienced) that too much antifreeze is a bad thing too as it is thicker and consequently does not flow as well as it should.

corax

Explorer
I've heard (but have not experienced) that too much antifreeze is a bad thing too as it is thicker and consequently does not flow as well as it should.

pure water provides the best transfer of heat (from your engine->radiator->the air going through your radiator). Since modern engines have a mix of iron and aluminum, we need some anti-corrosives to prevent galvanic corrosion. Antifreeze contains these important anti-corrosives but doesn't transfer heat as well - if you run pure antifreeze, you may experience overheating problems (plus, pure antifreeze will freeze at a higher temp than 50/50 mix)

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
just drove by a truck in downtown Austin that had icicles hanging from the bumper and some weird white fluff on the hood :Wow1:...he must've driven in from CO because I've no idea where snow came from

slus

Adventurer
So aside from a total flush and refill, what would ExPo do in my situation?

I'd erase the first part of that sentence, drain completely, and refill. It's probably about time anyway.

I've heard OEM Toyota is the best.
I've also heard that about OEM Honda, OEM BMW, OEM Subaru, and every other car I have owned. Except my 62 VW bug...there was no coolant specified for that one:sombrero:

EricBirk

Adventurer
Don't you know? It's SNOW'MAGEDDON 2011!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!

I know...27* four nights in a row is not 'cold', but it's enough to make South Texas PANIC!!!

ARRRGGGHHHHH!! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIIIIIIEEEEE!!! I NEED TO FIND CHAINS FOR MY TIRES!!! MILK! EGGS! BREAD!

Ok...so...yeah...:sombrero:

hahahahaha

We have had -30°C for at least a week+ on/off this winter. My snow piles from shovelling are so high in my yard I can barely see over them. The city had some roof collapses due to the snow. It was -39°C with windchill at site while I was working (that sucked). The crazy thing is 3 days ago it was -25°C, today right now it is +3...
Its about time you guys lived this BS we call 6 months out of the year :D

Plus it makes driving all that much more fun, nothing ruins ego's more in "big 3 truckville" than pulling one out with a little Toyota :victory:

I'd erase the first part of that sentence, drain completely, and refill. It's probably about time anyway.

I've heard OEM Toyota is the best.
I've also heard that about OEM Honda, OEM BMW, OEM Subaru, and every other car I have owned. Except my 62 VW bug...there was no coolant specified for that one:sombrero:

I heard that sailboat fuel is a good alternative for coolant on those cars.:ylsmoke:

MunkeyTX

Observer
Its about time you guys lived this BS we call 6 months out of the year :D

Forcast for this Sunday is 70* and wall to wall sunshine. Looks like I'll be cutting the grass...and finding a coolant leak. :victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles