Thread: Sun Lite pop up camper

Default Sun Lite pop up camper

I did a search, found little info on the Sun Lite's, other than one poster that said don't get one.

Here's the deal, I already have one.

Rarely used, and stored in a barn by the first owner, it was immaculate when I got it. It's a 2000 model SkyHawk SB. Apparently designed to fit in a mini-truck, it fits in my GMC 2500HD shortbed quite nicely, and I can still close the tailgate.

I built a 2.5" pallet in the bed of my truck so the over hang will clear. Happy Jack tie downs, I have enough vehicles and use the camper enough (avg 4-6 nights per month) that the camper stays in the truck full time.

I added a roof air to the camper, but other wise have left it alone. Honda 2kw generator JUST fits between the camper and the bedside when stored and will carry the roof air. Lot's of room between the camper and the bed sides. I carry heavy tools (shovel , sledge hammer, aluminum floor jack, 5 gallons of water, and 2 gallons of gas) on the passenger side, generator, battery box with Optima deep cell, hoses, extension cords, etc, on the driver side.

I've had the camper for over a year now. It's most grueling test was chasing a Jeepspeed car down the Baja Peninsula from Ensenada to LaPaz in the 2010 Baja 1000 (we were class 1700 CHAMPS!). I removed all of the couch cushions, loaded the space with Rubbermaid tubs full of parts, tools fluids, food, first aid supplies, etc. I'd guestimate at least 500 pounds on that side of the camper (yikes).

We covered 2500 miles of Baja highways with an estimated 100 miles of dirt road travel. The worst was the 20 miles each way of cross grain from Hwy 1 to CoCo's corner.

I'm happy to report that the camper survived the trip with minor trim damage in the interior, but that's it. Door still opens/closes, no leaks in the torrential rains we had in SoCal.

Loading up and heading for Parker, AZ in the morning for the Parker 425 desert race. Car number is 1706 if anyone is going to be there.

Sounds like you're giving that truck and camper a work out! Glad it's working for you.

Keep us updated on your adventures. Sounds like fun!
    1980 FJ-40, Rear ARB locker, 2.5 BDS, MAF Header, Weber, 33 Pro Comp EXT MT's, Custom Rocker Guards, HFS Front Bumper, 9,500lb Atlas winch

'03 4Runner Limited, Enjoying the V8 Power and MPG, Currently stock

'01 4Runner SR5 CBI Hybrid front replacement, Shrockworks rear replacement and tire carrier, Budbuilt skids, Stubbs sliders

I like the way it fits the truck. Very nice.

Jack
    2007 2500hd, Max/Alli, Hawk FWC (the new explorer)
    Build thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...07-Chevy-Build
    2006 Jeep LJ Rubicon
    Build thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...006-LJ-Rubicon
    KE7NCK

Great to see a little write-up on the sun lite!! It fits the truck great! Have fun at the Parker 425. Should be nice weather this weekend.

How do you like the overhead cabinet on the passenger side? Im thinking about building one for my setup. I need a little bit more storage inside the camper. I got plenty on the outside!
    The Rig: Early 1999 Ford F-250 7.3L CC 4x4 (Build Date-02/98) - 217,xxx miles
    DIY Intake with S&B Filter, FBD 4" Exhaust, leveling kit, 285's, Mag-Hytec Diff Covers, 203* thermostat, CCV Mod, DP-Tuner, and Bilstein 5150's
    The Campers:
    1990 FWC Hawk. In the process of a refurb!
    1989 Skamper 0S06 Sold, Adios Amigo

How does the lift arm not hit the overhead cabinet?
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado ECSB z71
    1982 Palomino Bronco 186

Quote Originally Posted by SLO_F-250 View Post
    How do you like the overhead cabinet on the passenger side?
    I have one on my Northstar, and love it... that's where I keep my plates, cups and other dishes.

Quote Originally Posted by eugene View Post
    How does the lift arm not hit the overhead cabinet?
    The pivot point.
    The cabinet is attached to the roof, so as the top goes up the arm travels under the cabinet.
    '97 F150 stepside supercab, Firestone airbag and custom leaf spring.
    '03 Northstar TC800 EC
    '87 Jeep Wrangler YJ w/ 31x10.5 tires, heavy duty shackles and 3.5" Rough Country lift kit

Everything just clears going up/down. Passenger side cabinet is where the boss keeps the canned goods/dry food.

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post

The pivot point.
    The cabinet is attached to the roof, so as the top goes up the arm travels under the cabinet.

Must be newer design than mine, mine the arm is only about 1/2" away from the roof so the p.o. cut the center section out when he put in a cabinet.
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado ECSB z71
    1982 Palomino Bronco 186