Sun Lite pop up camper

bob91yj

Resident **************
I did a search, found little info on the Sun Lite's, other than one poster that said don't get one.

Here's the deal, I already have one.

Rarely used, and stored in a barn by the first owner, it was immaculate when I got it. It's a 2000 model SkyHawk SB. Apparently designed to fit in a mini-truck, it fits in my GMC 2500HD shortbed quite nicely, and I can still close the tailgate.

2010baja1000005.jpg

I built a 2.5" pallet in the bed of my truck so the over hang will clear. Happy Jack tie downs, I have enough vehicles and use the camper enough (avg 4-6 nights per month) that the camper stays in the truck full time.

2010baja1000009.jpg

I added a roof air to the camper, but other wise have left it alone. Honda 2kw generator JUST fits between the camper and the bedside when stored and will carry the roof air. Lot's of room between the camper and the bed sides. I carry heavy tools (shovel , sledge hammer, aluminum floor jack, 5 gallons of water, and 2 gallons of gas) on the passenger side, generator, battery box with Optima deep cell, hoses, extension cords, etc, on the driver side.

I've had the camper for over a year now. It's most grueling test was chasing a Jeepspeed car down the Baja Peninsula from Ensenada to LaPaz in the 2010 Baja 1000 (we were class 1700 CHAMPS!). I removed all of the couch cushions, loaded the space with Rubbermaid tubs full of parts, tools fluids, food, first aid supplies, etc. I'd guestimate at least 500 pounds on that side of the camper (yikes).

2010baja1000007.jpg

We covered 2500 miles of Baja highways with an estimated 100 miles of dirt road travel. The worst was the 20 miles each way of cross grain from Hwy 1 to CoCo's corner.

I'm happy to report that the camper survived the trip with minor trim damage in the interior, but that's it. Door still opens/closes, no leaks in the torrential rains we had in SoCal.

Loading up and heading for Parker, AZ in the morning for the Parker 425 desert race. Car number is 1706 if anyone is going to be there.

fjatheart

Adventurer
Sounds like you're giving that truck and camper a work out! Glad it's working for you.

Keep us updated on your adventures. Sounds like fun!

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Great to see a little write-up on the sun lite!! It fits the truck great! Have fun at the Parker 425. Should be nice weather this weekend.

How do you like the overhead cabinet on the passenger side? Im thinking about building one for my setup. I need a little bit more storage inside the camper. I got plenty on the outside! :sombrero:

bob91yj

Resident **************
Everything just clears going up/down. Passenger side cabinet is where the boss keeps the canned goods/dry food.

eugene

Explorer
The pivot point.
The cabinet is attached to the roof, so as the top goes up the arm travels under the cabinet.

Must be newer design than mine, mine the arm is only about 1/2" away from the roof so the p.o. cut the center section out when he put in a cabinet.

justbecause

perpetually lost
I have seen your truck reposted, but never your thread.

how long did you keep that camper, did you ever find a problem with it?

bob91yj

Resident **************
I have seen your truck reposted, but never your thread.

how long did you keep that camper, did you ever find a problem with it?

Still have the camper on the truck, use it about 30 nights a year. We've been more than happy with it.

caprocker

Still have the camper on the truck, use it about 30 nights a year. We've been more than happy with it.

I'm very close to buying just nearly the same camper. I also have a shortbed chevy 2500. The guy im talking to on this deal says that its 7'2'' long.. which would put it over my reaer end about 8''..no biggy. my question for you is this..do they tie down inside the bed as well? or do you have to tie them down on top like yours? i would really rather not have to buy a bunch of extra equipment etc.

Hello, I'm new here and new to having a camper on my truck. I also have a 2000 sun lite skyhawk SB and am mostly quite pleased with it. I am having some trouble figuring a few things out, however, and the manual is difficult to find online.

I just hooked up a battery, for example, and I cannot figure out how to get the camper to realize it is there and run off of it. The lights and water pump work when the truck's engine is on (the towing cables are connected) but when the truck goes off, the lights go off.

Also, I don't really know how to work the switches on the side. There are 2 knobs and 2 switches (one red and one green) and a red ignitor button. I filled the propane tank and played with these knobs and buttons but could not seem to get the fridge to come on. Anyone have a breakdown for me of how these things work? Sorry, I hate being this ignorant, but this problem is really frustrating!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles