Garmin Topo USA and OZIexplorer compatibility

CLynn85

Explorer
Hey guys. For those of you who are affluent with ozi explorer, I was wondering if there's anyway to load the topo usa mapset into ozi.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
To revive this thread: Anyone done this? I like my NG maps...but want the Ozi user interface features.

whitethaiger

Adventurer
CLynn85 said:
Hey guys. For those of you who are affluent with ozi explorer, I was wondering if there's anyway to load the topo usa mapset into ozi.

Probably not. What format are those garmin maps in? Ozi can handle all the popular image formats. Next question would be how the georeferencing data is supplied.

spressomon said:
To revive this thread: Anyone done this? I like my NG maps...but want the Ozi user interface features.

Same answer as to Carl's question about Garmin maps.

Remember, you can get all the USGS topos for Ozi for free from various sources on the net.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The Garmin MapSource data is stored in a proprietary vector data format. Ozi largely only supports Raster data. To understand the difference, think of raster data like Adobe Photoshop (MS Paint, a scanned image, etc) and vector data as Adobe Illustrator (Corel Draw, AutoCAD, or a dot to dot).

Craig

craig

spressomon said:

I'd love to try and help but I'm a bit confused by this statement. The original subject was about Garmin Mapsource Topos but if I read your question correctly you are asking about getting USGS Topographic maps into Ozi. Do I understand your question correctly?

If so, you can download USGS DRGs as GeoTIFFs and bring them into Ozi. You will need the free GeoTiff extension for Ozi and it only supports uncompressed GeoTiffs so try a GeoTiff or two before downloading or ordering a bunch.

Craig

spressomon

Expedition Leader
craig said:
I'd love to try and help but I'm a bit confused by this statement. The original subject was about Garmin Mapsource Topos but if I read your question correctly you are asking about getting USGS Topographic maps into Ozi. Do I understand your question correctly?

If so, you can download USGS DRGs as GeoTIFFs and bring them into Ozi. You will need the free GeoTiff extension for Ozi and it only supports uncompressed GeoTiffs so try a GeoTiff or two before downloading or ordering a bunch.

Craig

Yeah...the NG (National Geographic) Topo maps is what I was asking about. As I understand it OziExplorer allows easy toggle between active GPS screen and a non-active/connected screen to scroll around while still nav'ing. However since I asked about this Scott clued me into a relatively easy toggle of sorts that is already in NG...I'll try it out to see if it's what I want.

Thank you,
Dan

craig

Excellent! I'm glad to hear you found something that will work. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94