New guy w/ Gen2 2500

RU55ELL

Explorer
I've built a couple trucks for speed but after I had a sport bike, I quickly lost interest in trying to make a brick go fast. I think for most purposes, a ton of power can get you into trouble quickly off road. The best thing to start off with is armor and recovery equipment. Skidplates, bumpers and a winch. How come you got rid of the first camper top? That thing was super nice!

sxharr05

Adventurer
Finally got the 4wd back operational. At a cost of $2,600. New carrier, ring and pinion, upper and lower ball joints, wheel bearings and u-joints. Now just waiting on snow (or a backwoods roadtrip). Also added a new Uniden PC78LTW.

Next up is going to be brakes, getting started on storage/sleeping platform and Bilsteins. Once I get going on the platform I'll throw some new pics up.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
I would take the cash you were going to spend on a trans temp gauge and just go ahead and buy a Derale deep trans pan and auxiliary cooler. Trust me if you just get the gauge it will just scare you into buying those parts anyway. Should be about $200 for those parts. I have an extra Derale pan that is brand new in the box for your trans. If you are interested send me a PM. $120 shipped. I bought it to go on my Dodge that is running 35's and before I could install it the motor blew. Figures.

P.S. It's this one: http://www.derale.com/basic/defaultBasic.aspx

Last edited:

sxharr05

Adventurer
I would take the cash you were going to spend on a trans temp gauge and just go ahead and buy a Derale deep trans pan and auxiliary cooler. Trust me if you just get the gauge it will just scare you into buying those parts anyway. Should be about $200 for those parts. I have an extra Derale pan that is brand new in the box for your trans. If you are interested send me a PM. $120 shipped. I bought it to go on my Dodge that is running 35's and before I could install it the motor blew. Figures.

P.S. It's this one: http://www.derale.com/basic/defaultBasic.aspx

Would make sense to go with that when I get my trans serviced/shift kit installed. I'll be in touch.

WCO

It's Lil' Willi
Nice build bud! Look forward to seeing where she goes. As said before, to much power off road get you into a lot of trouble. Reliability and usability are the key's to a great truck! Did you keep the old shell? If you're going to be sleeping in the back, the extra head room would have come in really handy! I wish I had a taller shell. Keep up the good work bud.

sxharr05

Adventurer
Nice build bud! Look forward to seeing where she goes. As said before, to much power off road get you into a lot of trouble. Reliability and usability are the key's to a great truck! Did you keep the old shell? If you're going to be sleeping in the back, the extra head room would have come in really handy! I wish I had a taller shell. Keep up the good work bud.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm pretty much done with "power-adders" and am heading toward trying to get stuff done before it becomes an issue.
As far as the high-top, I sold it when I swapped over to a tonnau cover because I didn't really have a safe place to keep it. And while I didn't like the LOOKS of the height, I realize now how beneficial it would have been. Plus, it had factory installed crossbars. D'oh!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz