Front and rear diff fluids

CodyB

Observer
I am getting ready to change the fluid in the front and rear differentials on my 09 Tacoma. What brands is everyone using in their trucks? Thanks.

4x4mike

Adventurer
I use Redline syn. in my diffs. Buy it by the gallon for the best deal. I use the same fluid in my diffs, tcase and tranny (5sp).

I am getting ready to change the fluid in the front and rear differentials on my 09 Tacoma. What brands is everyone using in their trucks? Thanks.

The most important question is what viscosity does the owner's manual specify? Use the specified viscosity, with the exception that Amsoil 75W110 can substitute for 75W90 in hot climates.
Differentials are often neglected and are perfect places for synthetic oil, more unequivocally than the engine (some engine mfgs specify synthetic, usually high performance cars like BMW and Mercedes and other German cars). Rear diffs can get quite hot. The hottest oil in my Unimog last fall in Australia in >90F. was the rear diff: 200F., which is quite moderate compared to some other stories I've read about diffs (>250F. while towing, etc!). Syn oils have much better heat resistance.
Also, in your climate you have very cold mornings in the winter and a synthetic 75W90 will flow much better than a mineral 80W90; likewise a syn 75 or 80W140 vs a mineral 85W140.
Excellent mfgs of synthetic diff oil are Mobil
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lu...Delvac_Synthetic_Gear_Oil_75W-90_80W-140.aspx
Redline, Amsoil.
There are many others as well.

Charlie

Last edited:

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
I'm using Mobil 1 75w90 in the front/rear diffs, transmission and transfer case. Works fine for me. Ususally I do the fluids every year, but I think I am going to skip a year this year and have it done in 2012.

keezer37

Explorer
Amsoil. All day long. You can build and save a "MyGarage" page which is a good reference to have regardless of what brand you buy.
Costly+shipping+tax.
Is it any better? I don't know.
Could I go just as long on Valvoline from Walmart? I don't know.
But for an extra $20 or so for something I'm gonna change out once every two years barring anything out of the ordinary, I'll waste the money on the perceived good stuff.

You might want to buy a hand pump especially if you buy the type that doesn't come in the squirty bottles.

Note: NAPA has a good pump. It holds in the fill port giving you a free hand. About $8 if memory serves.
NAPAPump.jpg

Expedition Leader
Amsoil Severe Gear in every diff, transfer case, and manual gear box that I own.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
AMSOIL severe gear.

Except for gear break-in; any standard inexpensive gear oil is fine since you'll be swapping it out after a short mileage interval, and it will likely have a lot of particulate matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles