Half Cargo Drawer Concept/Solution.

VanGo

Explorer
This is a project that has come at a critical time, my family like many here on ExPo, is growing and I need to re-think how I was going to utilize cargo area. The attachments show a mocked up cargo area, incomplete half drawer (awaiting my #300 slides), Pelican 1620, 15# Powertank, and Engel 45 in a concept solution that I have given much thought. This project is both practical in design and effective in setting up the rig for weekend excursions and family hauling during the week day. I needed to balance the ability to carry 5 people, not including myself, at any given time vs. a dedicated expedition rig. I started with adding the PS third row seat and then designed a cargo drawer for needed recovery gear. I had considered a shelf design to slide a pelican case under, but that had its issues and did not seem functional. I looked at leaving the DS empty and just using the space for the pelican case, but I really like carrying the frig; and consider this of importance to the final design.

Here is the concept list:

• Third row occupant.
  • FT frig.
  • Storage for recovery gear.
  • Level sleeping area.
  • Pelican 1620 case.

I am balancing a lot here, trying to find a compromise that does not require much relocating of gear to maximize efficiency in storage, and expedition function, while retaining DD capabilities for my growing family.
Stay tuned..... :smiley_drive:

VanGo

Explorer
Thanks Pete! I'll try and follow up here early this week. With a few more pictures with the seat deployed.

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Weird timing.

After I finished the snorkel install, I started mocking pieces for the same set-up. Same orientation for similar family reasons too.

On mine though, I'm going to try some delrin-esque runners for the slides and see how that goes. Also, I'm going to try and incorporate a cup holder for the 3rd seat.

Real quick too, how is your fridge hooked up? I'm using a posi fit on the pass. side and will be changing that over to the driver's side, but dont know where I'll be putting it yet.

Thanks,
G

VanGo

Explorer
Weird timing.

After I finished the snorkel install, I started mocking pieces for the same set-up. Same orientation for similar family reasons too.

On mine though, I'm going to try some delrin-esque runners for the slides and see how that goes. Also, I'm going to try and incorporate a cup holder for the 3rd seat.

Real quick too, how is your fridge hooked up? I'm using a posi fit on the pass. side and will be changing that over to the driver's side, but dont know where I'll be putting it yet.

Thanks,
G

Fergie-

If the slides were not in route I would seriously consider the UHMW slides as an alternative design, they are lighter, simple to install/repair and not prone to be contaminated by ExPo environments. For the third row cup holder I included a few attachments of what I did a couple years ago. The frig is secured to the engel slide that will secure to the cargo box. http://www.flickr.com/photos/28901827@N08/

Van

greentruck

Adventurer
Here are a couple of pics of the power socket I fitted to our 80. It's not purty, but it works. It's located above the front edge of the DS rear wheelwell.

The socket is a Marinco locking socket. I modded the cheezy power cord that came with our Edgestar to use the male Marinco locking plug.

I installed the socket first just with a small hole in the plastic panel of the cargo area where the pictured socket installation is. Problem was that when we sleep in there, it stuck out in the way before the cord trailed back to the fridge. That wasn't too much of a problem in Michigan's UP in October, since we could just unplug it and turn the fridge off at night, but I know I needed a better install.

I bought a plastic receptacle box that allowed the female Marinco to be installed inside it in the panel. That way the cord is lays up against the side panel so the plug is out of the way. I actually pulled the cord up a little bit to give you a clearer pic of the arrangement inside the box.

Now, part of the ugly in my install was because I wasn't careful in spotting where the box needed to be mounted when I cut the hole in the side panel. It ended up overlapping into part of the metal of the truck body. I wasn't going to cut that, but already had the hole in the panel, so I modded the box a little bit to fit.

Originally, I planned that the box would be mounted just to the plastic panel, but my mistake caused me to drill a couple of holes in the metal of the body where they would be hidden behind the plastic panel. That is where the top two screws visible attach it. These screws make it super secure, although if you cut with greater care and just mount it in the plastic panel it should be strong enough, at least in a Land Cruiser since the plastic is really thick.

In addition to the receptacle inside the back end of the box, I installed one of the cheap imitations of a safety switch at the bottom backside of the box. This way, all I have to do is flip the switch on to send power to the fridge. The green LED on the Marinco plug indicates that power is on. This way I don't need to diddle with the plug every time I want the fridge on.

Hijack off. I'm curious where Van gets the juice for his.

Attachments

• PowerSocket1.jpg
    PowerSocket1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 26
  • PowerSocket2.jpg
    PowerSocket2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

VanGo

Explorer
More pictures....

More pictures.... Please excuse the "filtering" that effected these shots I did not realize it at the time. I have made few changes to the orginal concept list; the major changes include removing the pelican case for DD, maintaining 2 level areas and removing the fridge when the third row seat is needed. Keep in mind this a "working" concept and I have not used any tiedowns to secure the cargo area; I am still determining the locations. This new approach will allow me to store the third row seat on extended trips and use a pelican 1650 for more storage and a additonal platform if needed. I will not be using the engel slide and will rely on the tiedowns to secure the cargo area, (empty) 20L fuel can 10L water cans can be stored easily and removed if needed.

#300 slides, paddle latches and misc. hardware sourced from adventure trailers. Thanks Mario!!!

Post #12
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/456339-half-cargo-drawer-concept-solution.html#post6345403

Last edited:

VanGo

Explorer
Hopefully the weather is warmer this weekend and I can prep the cargo box for the herculiner...

Fergie

Expedition Leader
I've got a slide lock that would be perfect for that fridge....if you are interested.

VanGo

Explorer
I was able to prep and herculiner today, I'll post some pics up in the next several days with the box complete.

Van

rain76king

Adventurer
Look forward to seeing the end result Van! This is on my list of things to do as soon as the three feet of snow melts!

VanGo

Explorer
Look forward to seeing the end result Van! This is on my list of things to do as soon as the three feet of snow melts!

Thanks. The end result always motivates me, I had a late night/early morning the last couple nights just to get these finished....and yes like any other woodworking project I have committed to I usually make a "run" of items, so there will be one identical posted in expo equipment for sale. :costumed-smiley-007

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier