And so it begins...

Code Monkey

Observer
So, I've been thinking about what systems would go where and what they would hook up to.

I want to use the vehicle in two modes - primarily with the camper attached, but from time to time I want to use just the flatbed. The 'garage' will always be there, but that leaves at least 5 to 8 feet of flatbed that is 8 feet wide behind it. The 'garage' can serve as a place to haul bikes or any other stuff I want to keep out of sight or inside a compartment to protect it from weather and road grime/etc., and that I don't want inside the camper (like gasoline, oil, etc., for the bikes/etc.).

Also, the 'garage' can serve as an ad-hoc sleeper when I am not hauling a bike or the camper.

So for the vehicle, with the 'garage' and the camper off, I would still like to have water, a genset to power things (charge batteries, run appliances in emergencies, etc.), and so on. The big heavy stuff like the primary large water tank, fuel, most (if not all) of the aux. batteries, will be on the vehicle whether the camper is attached or not.

Just about everybody needs heat, many people need or want A/C. Water, fuel, some way to cook food is nice. Lighting and so on. Also, I like backup systems, but I want to keep the weight down too so I won't have a backup system just for the unlikely chance that I might need to use it in some emergency.

Most campers, the Alaskan included, come with some of these systems. Usually a combination of propane, 12V powered stuff, and a hookup to 110/120V power and water when it is available.

I personally don't care for propane, so while I would maybe leave in the bottle (or a place to put the bottle) and maybe the plumbing for it, I would like to primarily use diesel powered appliances - especially for heating and cooking, which may be the major consumers of fuel? Not sure how much propane a fridge uses, but I have read good things about the Nova Kool 12V/110V fridges and freezers - that they don't take much power (I will have aux. batteries and solar power and a genset).

Keeping a small propane bottle and plumbing would maybe keep the resale value on the camper and allow me to have an external BBQ/range for get togethers, or as a backup for heat (catalytic heater) if something goes phooey with the diesel heat or it for any reason I need more heat than the primary heater can provide. So, I would have some propane and that would stick with the camper. The propane can also be a backup reserve for other people with their own campers who are traveling or staying in the same spot if we get stuck somewhere or don't want to head into town to fuel up just now, but need the propane.

Also, the systems that stay with the camper will give it some heat, water, etc. if I need to leave the camper at a campground while going somewhere with the truck (recovery vehicle, repairs, whatever).

The primary heat and cooking would be a diesel combo cooker/heater/hot water heater and maybe use another hot water heater element or two to keep the potable water and grey water from freezing in extremely colt temps. Maybe even plumb this into the coolant system of the engine to keep the engine warm so it will start easier in the morning. Again, this would be in the camper, but would have some hookups (hopefully quick disconnects) to the vehicle to get fuel (maybe a small 2 gal. diesel tank stays with the camper - these systems don't seem to use much fuel) and water and maybe the engine coolant system.

Water. The large water tank will be on the vehicle, but there will be a small water tank with the camper. The two will be plumbed together with the large tank feeding the small tank as necessary.

So, all the big tanks, the genset, most of the aux. batteries, are mounted down low and sturdily on the truck, the smaller reserve/feed tanks are kept in the camper, keeping the weight of the camper lighter, less complicated and yet minimally self-sufficient if/when it is separated from the truck. Maybe one or two aux. batteries in the camper for those appliances that need electricity to run and for minimal lighting - when mounted to the truck they would be tied into the larger set of aux. batteries mounted on the truck.

Not sure about the A/C - there would probably be one A/C unit on the camper (not on top) as venting the cold air from a remote A/C unit would probably be inefficient. The truck itself has A/C, but that would probably not feed into the garage and would require the engine to be running anyway. The garage will probably just have a 12V fan and LED lights and that would be about it.

Code Monkey

Observer
A couple more thoughts:

1) Nothing on the roof of the camper except maybe some thin film stick on solar panels. No roof racks, no carry spare tires or boats up there or any of that. I will have awnings on the sides, maybe the rear.

I don't want any weight up there.

I don't want more height.

I don't want anything that will compromise the roof by putting screws/bolts/etc. through it.

I don't want to make the roof raising system work harder and cause it to bind coming down.

2) Solar. As many thin film solar panels on the roof as can fit. A solar panel on the garage. Maybe solar panels on the hood of the truck - not sure about heat from the engine there.

Maybe a flexible portable solar panel on the awnings. It would be really nice if someone made an awning for RVs that was a solar panel.

The idea is to have as much solar capacity as possible. I hate running gensets in camp. Also, maybe use less fuel.

I saw this and thought it was an interesting idea:

http://family.webshots.com/photo/2772314190073612460sROxGz
2772314190073612460sROxGz_th.jpg

Basically uses a hard shutter/awning for a window to mount a solar panel.

Code Monkey

Observer
I was reading some threads elsewhere (mostly on Steel Soldier) about the various uses of some of the military 'shelters' that are used by the military for mobile comms centers and such.

I had seen some of these around in various forms, for sale and in use before.

It occurred to me that I could use at least one of these for my garage. The S-250 is just about the right size and configuration.

shelters_s250_large.jpg

Shelter%20on%20Truck%20with%20Ladder%20640x480.JPG

Just barely large enough inside - I need almost 84" inside to fit my bike and they have 83", so if I tweak my front wheel to one side or the other, and/or slide the rear wheel forward in its adjustment an inch or so, then I will have enough room for my bike with tires. Not sure about which skis/tracks in snowbike mode, but that would have been an issue either way.

Beyond that, it looks like there is room inside to other things. I was trying to think of where I would put my spare tires (I want two) and it looks like I could fit them on one side on the 'benches' that are on either side.

The cool thing is these shelters are a rugged aluminum frame, insulated (to some degree) core with aluminum skins and just about the right size to fit sideways on my frame between the wheels and cab. Probably a lot more rugged than a wood framed camper with thin sheet aluminum.

drawing_s250.gif

I would have to put a larger door on it to fit the bike in - probably pretty close to 44" instead of 30", but I think that shouldn't be too hard.

I am thinking that I also could fit one of these lengthwise behind the sideways garage.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Those are cool Containers Code. The only thing it needs is an aerodynamic spoiler on the front over the cab.:ylsmoke:

Code Monkey

Observer
Those are cool Containers Code. The only thing it needs is an aerodynamic spoiler on the front over the cab.:ylsmoke:

Yup, the spoiler will be part of a small rack on top of the cab. I want to put lights up there in front of the spoiler. I thought about making holes in the spoiler to protect the lights, but that would work against the spoiler, so I will put the lights in front of it and put some protection around the lights to protect them from low hanging branches and stuff like that.

There might be some space behind the spoiler for cargo. Not sure what I would put there. Maybe some kind of A/C unit, maybe not (the A/C would probably be better on the containers somehow (maybe low down along side the wheel well indentions, I don't know). But I don't want to put anything heavy up high like a lot of people do.

The nice thing is these containers will save me considerable money that I would have spent on a custom made 'garage' and on a camper. The one downside is that there won't be as much space in the living quarters. I will just have to deal with that and be really efficient how I use that space - I think I can make it work.

I plan to put at least one window in the living quarters. Here is a pic of what one guy did:

extpainting.jpg

inside1.jpg

Writeup:

http://www.sanlee.com/jeep/S250camper/default.htm

Not sure how I am going to mount it, but I suppose I could use the built-in tie down system. That would be simple, probably secure, and make it easy to remove and load if I want to.

Code Monkey

Observer
Another nice thing about these is that they are fairly secure compared to a consumer camper.

This will allow me to change my strategy and plans a bit. My previous plans, while doable, were a bit grandiose. I have the resources to implement those plans, but mostly those resources are meant to tide me over when my employment is interrupted (even more so now; currently, as a 'self-employed' contractor I don't get state UI benes). So I was going to have to take it slow and implement the plans as I earned more money beyond my 'rainy day' funds.

But with these containers I can buy them when I am ready for them (truck mechanicals come first) - and get the custom bed made for them too. I can then just use the camping equipment I have (some camp stoves, a portable 12V fridge, etc.) to get by until I get some better appliances. This should allow me to be on the road sooner, maybe between my contracts/jobs.

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I like the window that you showed in the last pic Code. Really nice container modificatioin. If you want you could use the area behind the spiler for storing sleeping bags and other light weight stuff. In the following pic you can see how I made my canopy so that it follows the angle of the windsheild.
Can07005.jpg
It makes for a really aerodynamic canopy. Also, like you said, it is important to keep weight down low.:088:

Code Monkey

Observer
I like the window that you showed in the last pic Code. Really nice container modificatioin. If you want you could use the area behind the spiler for storing sleeping bags and other light weight stuff. In the following pic you can see how I made my canopy so that it follows the angle of the windshield.

That window is a 'tip-out' too - even nicer. With the low cost of the containers I could afford to get some nice insulated windows with nice features.

Yeah, my intention is to have the spoiler over the cab be separate from the containers, but be high enough to provide smoother air flow. I figure the containers will be about 2 feet above cab height.

Not sure what I would put behind the spoiler, but it will be lightweight - I cringe when I see people put hi-lift jacks, spare tires and such up high like that. I am sure I will find something to put there, you never have enough room for stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz