New Guy 2 different Expo Options

Which rig to build into Expo rig

• Total voters

blackdmax15

Observer
Hi guys first post on this website but been searching around here for a while and been on other sites for a while. I'm an active duty Marine currently stationed in california. Wanting to build an expo rig but don't know which rig to build. I have an 08 GMC duramax that is about to get traded/sold for a reg cab duramax. My problem is this. Do i build my 4door 08 jeep wrangler for an expo rig/rock crawler/dd or build a newer reg cab diesel for a expo rig?

The 2500hd diesel already has the drivetrain and engine and frame to handle the gear and also can get a truck cap or hard tonneau to store gear securely. Plan on a rooftop tent like an ARB/Maggiolina style. Figure 37's and gears on a BDS hi-clearance lift and RCV axles for the front of the duramax just for security. Problem with this route is the size/weight of the rig but properly geared it will get better mpgs than the jeep (which sucks anyway) and could have up to a 95gal extra bed mounted tank for long trips. Already has dual batterys but the problem comes in with armor. F/R bumpers and rock sliders would be difficult to have made the way i would like them. The big bull bars that are made for the 2500hds are just way to bulky and heavy. Also skid plates would have to be custom made.

The 4door jk is an awesome rig that already has bumper/winch and lifted but the engine is horrible. Best i've found is 10500 for a hemi swap and that would have to be followed by f/r axles and dana 60's are about 10k too! Again the goal is to run 37's safely in back country and get some kind of descent mileage so i don't have to carry 5 gerry cans. But the positive of the jeep build is the fact that EVERYTHING is available for it. Except for a diesel...

So what would you guys build? Reg cab or JK? I still would like to take whatever vehicle to MOAB and Rubicon trail to wheel it and use it as a camping/expo rig. Thanks for hearing my long rant and all ideas/options will be appreciated.

And before anyone asks funding will be from selling the loaded out SLT duramax and buying a reg cab plus military moving money so either option won't be putting me in a financially risky situation. I do need to tow my 24ft car hauler back to SC in a year or so; so either way i'm getting the reg cab duramax. So limiting the potential expo duramax rig to 37s. Thanks guys.

Jordan

Code Monkey

Observer
I don't know. It is a matter of what compromises you are willing to live with if you want only one vehicle.

Personally, I used to be into 4x4s and 4-wheeling a little so I built a few, but then got tired of the expense and effort of keeping them going when I was really using them hard off-road.

Eventually I got back into dirt bikes and it seems to me that these are so much easier and less expensive to use off-road, and they go so many more places. Of course, they don't haul much gear and a dirt bike isn't good for long hauls between riding areas.

So my decision was to have a 4x4 to haul my bike - a truck I could camp in. I don't intend to use it to go back into the boonies on a trail or do rock climbing. Just get me close enough *with* my bike(s) so I can have a good day riding then come back to base camp and relax until the next ride.

Some people do the same with their Jeeps or other harder core off-road rigs - they put the Jeep/whatever on a trailer or hitch and haul it behind their camping rig and then when they get to where the fun begins they park the camper and unleash the beastie.

This way if the beastie breaks they still have transportation and a way to get the beastie home.

None of this is particularly new to you I am sure - I am just saying that is my take on it; the big rigs can be okay off-road, but they have their downsides, and I don't want to try to go rock climbing with something weighing in over 10K no matter how much money and time I put into it, and certainly not if it is my primary mode of transportation to get home with. Besides, a dirt bike is just so much more fun for me.

I used to try for a rig or bike that would do it all, but I don't think they exist - not ones that do it all real well.

YMMV

poriggity

Explorer
Personally,
I am a bit biased towards a diesel truck. After taking my quad cab long bed out to the Mojave preserve this past weekend, I wouldn't have it any other way. While the 4 door jeep that was with us was very capable, and things got pretty tight for my big truck, the comfort of sleeping in the bed, using a truck bed tent. There was GOBS of room for my wife and I to sleep in there comfortably.... That being said, the new jeeps are pretty slick, and one person can sleep in the 4 door version fairly easily.
Scott

blackdmax15

Observer
I don't know. It is a matter of what compromises you are willing to live with if you want only one vehicle.

Personally, I used to be into 4x4s and 4-wheeling a little so I built a few, but then got tired of the expense and effort of keeping them going when I was really using them hard off-road.

I used to try for a rig or bike that would do it all, but I don't think they exist - not ones that do it all real well.

YMMV

I totally understand what you are saying. I raced dirtbikes very competitively (every weekend for years haha) from when i was 12 till i quit when i went to college. Problem with me on a bike is i still do stupid stuff like when i was racing and training haha.

I guess i am asking for a do it all vehicle. Either way i won't have one vehicle which i should have mentioned. I'm keeping the jeep either way and i'm selling the 4 door dmax to get a reg cab because i've wanted one for a while. It's just me and the wife so don't really need a 4 door for an expo rig. And the reason for a reg cab is so it is more capable offroad than a quad cab. The duramax reg cab long bed is 133.4" wheel base. Jeep jk 4door is 117 IIRC. And if i put full width 60's on the jk the axles will be as wide as the dmax. But the body of the jk will be more narrow for less trail damage. This idea has been burning in my head for a while which one to build. Maybe the answer is use the reg cab to tow the jeep to trails. That's probably what Scott was getting at. I just want a vehicle i can load up and drive 500-1000 miles in for a week or so and have all my stuff. Either way if i build the jeep the engine is going. Hate that v6 but that's probably because i've been driving duramaxes since 02... Kind of spoils you i guess.

Code Monkey

Observer
I should have said that my idea of 'camping' means not sleeping on the ground, and preferably having some of the amenities of a truck camper or trailer and not just a shell or tent. BTDT and I am getting closer to 60 than 50, so I like a little bit of comfort.

So my rig, with bike and those 'amenities' will weigh in over 10K. Not the ideal boon-docking machine. I personally don't think even a bare full sized pickup is all that desirable for real off-roading, although some people make it work for them and more power to them.

poriggity

Explorer
Honestly, it really depends on what you are comfortable driving down the terrain you will be facing. For me, ALOT of the stuff I do is fairly open dirt roads, with some tight squeezes. I'm comfortable enough with my driving ability, that piloting a 4 door long bed 6 spd manual truck through it is not too tough, but it may be more than some people are willing to take on. Also, I am not afraid to scratch my truck while driving it out on those trails, because that's what I am building it for. I don't intentionally scratch it, but if it happens, I'm not going to cry about it. So I guess, what I am saying is, in the end, you and ONLY you can make the decision on what is right for you to own.
Scott

Code Monkey

Observer
Scratching my truck I am not afraid of, but going down a road like this:

DSCN4030_rotated.jpg

347801613_9hgSw-L-3.jpg

with 3K+ pounds of 8 to 10 foot high (above the flatbed) camper and bikes and such strapped on the back?

No, I think I would play it safe.

Once I get to something like that I would find a nice place to camp and break out the bikes - such roads are easy on a bike.

blackdmax15

Observer
Yeah i really have been beating myself up about this for about a year now trying to figure out which way to go. But i agree a 10K rig is gonna be hard to wheel. I think the reg cabs weigh in about 6K empty but with gear that will climb up easy. The jk empty is 4K ish so the need for a bigger engine/axles. Both builds the way i've planned/priced them out will be about 20-23K. The truck is cheaper but again i just want to know what real expo guys think. IF JEEP WOULD MAKE A DAMN DIESEL this would not be a question at all haha. But doubt anyone is gonna want to take on a 4bt swap on a newer jk. Plus a 4bt+tranny is heavy. I would love to swap it myself but i just don't have the time or tools since all of my tools are at my dads house in SC.

Code Monkey

Observer
Yeah i really have been beating myself up about this for about a year now trying to figure out which way to go. But i agree a 10K rig is gonna be hard to wheel. I think the reg cabs weigh in about 6K empty but with gear that will climb up easy.

Yeah, my rig, a Dodge 3500 with a 165" WB is at least 7K unloaded. I need to go get it weighed before I pull the steel bed off. I am betting that bed alone will weigh about half a ton or more.

I will get an aluminum bed for it, and I am going to build a 'garage' behind the cab (kind of like a 'sleeper' cab, but to put my dirt bike in laterally), so that should weigh somewhere near 1K. Then I am going to put an Alaskan 10' camper on that, which will up the weight by 2K. Then whatever other stuff I add (more batteries, water, fuel, generator, etc.). I am sure that when I hit the road I will be over 10K easy. I haven't found the GVWR sticker yet, but I am sure it is somewhere between 10K and 12K.

Although weight is a big factor, especially climbing up an incline, I would be more concerned about where the weight is and COG. A plain truck with a simple canopy is going to react quite different to off-camber slopes/etc. than something carrying an 8 to 10 foot high camper like I plan to do.

KMV77

Years ago I would have said Jeep 100% but now that I'm older and like a more comfy vehicle I'd choose the Duramax. So again, it will be more comfortable than the jk, you dont need to do the hemi swap for more power, and you cant sleep in the back of the JK. It just seems that there are more options for living quarters in the d-max. You could add a pop up to the back of the duramax and that would be one nice setup. Good luck, and post pics of whatever you decide on.
Kevin

teleturns

Adventurer
I am a huge fan of diesels and I have owned a Duramax in the past, BUT I say go with the Jeep. I personally don't think the front IFS suspension and the steering of a Duramax can handle the abuse of constant rough dirt roads and the weight of the engine. If you are going to buy a single cab Duramax anyway just get the jeep too.

The benefits of the new Jeeps are the aftermarket support (Just Everyone Elses Parts) and the ability to put big tires on them with little or no lift. Keep it low.

I have been a huge Toyota rock crawler guy all of my life. I recently sold my built 85 4runner and now I am interested in buying a JK.

Go with the Jeep!

bftank

Explorer
my advice would be to slowdown and take your time figuring out where you want to go and what you want to do. drive the jeep and duramax. and modify as needed based on where you want to take them.

for the dmax, i would choose 06 and older to stay away from the emissions stuff. easier to run biodiesel. do a larger fuel tank under the bed from a company like transfer flow. mount the spare tire on the rear bumper, aux fuel tank where the spare tire went. 4" exhaust. torsion bar crank, fenderwell trimming to install 35"s, 16x10" steel wheels. when frontaxle components start breaking install ford dana 60. add slide in light weight poptop camper. high clearance bumpers and sliders. and an air compressor and airbags.

pretty mild build. but good for going long distances like alaska or mexico. which is what i want to do. still able to haul a trailer with a jeep onit and motorcycles. or go to home depot. but that is what i want.

dana 60's on the jeep would be nice. you could easily fit 35"s with no lift and different fenders. would need a bigger fuel tank. downside is once you start making it a monster your mpg will tank. it has limited storage. however it will easily fit in a lot of places

in my circumstance i have an 89 burb with a cummins waiting to go in it, that will be my long distance rig for trips to alaska and south america, and a ford explorer that will be my short haul camping crawling rig. good luck and post pics when you can.

Humvette

Adventurer
I got into that situation kinda...

I had the H1 and tried to make it very street worthy... But it is an offroad truck. That is why i got my power stroke. It is my Daily Driver so i can make the H1 extreme. I will be puttin 35"s on my F350 for light expo, camping, long travel, and to tow the H1 to moab.

You do not need Dana 60's f/r with 35"s on the jeep. I would mod the jeep out like crazy and keep the truck reliable. Run 35"s for a while, do all the other mods. Then later do 60's with 40"s hehe
M

blackdmax15

Observer
I will definitely post pics up. Driving the jeep around today in the wind confirms the fact i need that 3.8 gone. Biggest thing i've been thinking too is just the range the dmax would have over the jk. With 37's on the jk i bet i only get around 10-12 max on the road and we all know what happens to mpgs when we put it in 4wd or go offroad.

jeep:
IMG_6807-2.jpg

truck:
IMG00008.jpg

Last edited:

blackdmax15

Observer
I got into that situation kinda...

I had the H1 and tried to make it very street worthy... But it is an offroad truck. That is why i got my power stroke. It is my Daily Driver so i can make the H1 extreme. I will be puttin 35"s on my F350 for light expo, camping, long travel, and to tow the H1 to moab.

You do not need Dana 60's f/r with 35"s on the jeep. I would mod the jeep out like crazy and keep the truck reliable. Run 35"s for a while, do all the other mods. Then later do 60's with 40"s hehe
M

I definitely hear what you are saying. This is why i'm leaning towards building the jeep. Problem is i'm wanting to build towards 37s-40s. And i've done this with past TJ builds and it's WAAAAYYYY cheaper to just go 60's first. I have the 30/44 axles in the jk because i knew i would be ditching them. Talked with Dynatrac/Currie about axle prices and it's just easier to bite the bullet first than build these axles and sell them and get 60's. Plus my JK has 3.21s in the diffs right now so i'd rather buy axles than pay 2K+ to regear just to sell them later...

Also the black dmax is the one i have now. I'll be selling it for a reg cab dmax(if i didn't already state this) and using that money to build the jeep or truck since the truck is paid for. Figuring i'll come out on top about 12-16K. So need a few things like ARB fridge freezer, warn VTC compressor and a few other things. So that leaves around 14k or so for the build. I have itemized lists of the potential builds of the dmax and jk and they both a little more than that.

The consolation on the jeep that would make it cheaper is this:
-Front ProRock44 with ARB's 5.38s and RCV axles with Reid Knuckles
-Rear ProRock60 or build my dana 44 with 35spline ARB/Superior shafts

That would cut down axle costs to 7-9K but i feel with 40s' in the future that may not be safe. And if i swap a bigger engine in there (or supercharge it) that those axles may not hang with the tire size and that power. What do you think. Again sorry for being so long winded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior