View Poll Results: Which Concept do you prefer the most?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll

0 0%

4 44.44%

5 55.56%

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: >>Your input needed: New Search and Rescue Helmet Concept

Thanks,

Idk if I mentioned it but the LED headlight IS pivot-able so its not just static and aiming where ever your head is. You can direct it to where you need it.

I interviewed some firefighters yesterday and came up with a better idea for the beacon light, similar to the pass system for firefighters, it would be much smaller and just always be on lightly strobing but in the event the person were to stop moving for say 30 seconds or longer, they would all come on flashing, similar to the lights on police cars.

The point of having a headlight built into a helmet is because in most situations, one will need their hands free. They could be carrying a stretcher, or other equipment into a dark area. Carrying a separate light would definitely put a person in more danger.

Cape Town, South Africa, 33 52 24 S 18 30 00 E
    Your ideas seem nice in theory but in the real world they are not practical. In SAR one needs simplicity,adaptability, and easy upgrades. Most of what you’re suggesting can be classified as gadgetry.

I don't like the idea of integrated light and batteries, or integrated anything for that matter.

Lights, radio mics, and other accessories are also advancing so quickly that by the time you have your range on the market there is already something new that has superseded it. The user needs to have the freedom to adapt.

I also don't like the idea of voice activated LED colour change.
    In the real world it's just another gadget that is a distraction and that can become faulty, it would never actually be used. Also most of the time your SAR guy is not in plain view of his handlers.
    Must simpler to communicate your situation via radio and have your name or call sign in reflective vinyl stuck on your helmet

The helmet should be as simple and basic as possible with the option to add and remove accessories as the operator sees fit. If you offer a range of accessories the helmet should still be designed in such a way that the user can choose to use your accessories or his own as they come on the market.

Plenty criticism but well done on giving it a go anyway
    Last edited by Spikepretorius; 02-10-2011 at 06:38 AM. Reason: spelling
    06 Mitsubishi Colt 2.8i turbodiesel Clubcab
    (Americanese translation: L200 crewcab, or a truck version of a Pajero Sport)

Most of the time in the field i wear a ball cap or a boonie . I carry my petzel helmet on me. Water helmet in the blazer. Just dont see a need SAR helmet . You should hit the field with sar team.

Default SAR Helmet

TC
    I use a Petzel helmet when on a mission. A few of thoughts:
    -Need for headlamp loops. Headlamps built into the helmet cause the user to carry a second one for use when the helmet is off. Weight of extra equipment is always a concern.
    -In high angle, alpine and many other situations there is a lot of looking up. Helmets need to clear the back of the head and neck.
    -Need to be well ventilated. SAR work is hot work even in the winter.
    -As mentioned with the light, weight is always a concern in all the gear I carry. Beyond the physical nature of the carry, each pound translates into 4 pounds on the knees.
    -Helmet need to fit under shell hoods for winter.

My two cents. Nice work, keep it up.
    Pat

So, did anything ever come from this? I'd love to see the final designs.
    Ray Hyland
    Explorers Club Member, RCGS Fellow, Member of Overland International Inc.
    www.nwoverlandrally.com www.expeditionportal.com www.overlandjournal.com
    1993 D110 (Diesel), 1954 86" Station Wagon, 1954 86" Pickup, 2004 Ford Explorer
    1969 Suzuki AC100 Wolf, 2005 YZF250F, 1971 Carabela

A year later, how is this design project going? What do you think the cost of such a helmet would be? Would it have a market broader than SAR? Cost is a big issue for individual volunteers and units trying to equip their teams.

Another option for face protection would be the mesh screen used on chain saw helmets. These slide up and out of the way, but can be dropped down as needed. Vision through them is fine.

Our rope rescue team uses their "climbing" helmet on regular searches. They hold headlamps well and meet many of your criteria.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12