Larry's 1978 K10

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
The old wh0re also got new lip stick while it was in the operating room for the trans swap. Ditched the old 80’s looking chrome tube grill back to a modified OEM grill.

Old chrome grill. Still have these wheels and tires that get used for mountain trips when snow is in the plans.
3653269456_081b5ab9f9_b.jpg

1978 OEM grill and head light bezels painted satin black. This tire and wheel package is used for around town and desert trips.
5436600167_df00328a58_b.jpg

brut4s

Adventurer
Larry, I love the look with the stock grill painted black.
Awesome! Gotta get back to work on my Blazer!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Although I like the look of the stock grill, the idea of something plastic protecting my radiator does not inspire confidence with me. The truck looks great Larry, but are you running a plastic grill?:REOutArchery02:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Although I like the look of the stock grill, the idea of something plastic protecting my radiator does not inspire confidence with me. The truck looks great Larry, but are you running a plastic grill?:REOutArchery02:

Thanks

Of course, I am running a plastic grill. What truck made in the last 40 years doesn’t use a plastic grill from the factory? :confused:

There are much bigger things to worry about than if a plastic grill is going to protect a radiator. :eek:

I am glad to get rid of the shinny blinding hazard for the guy in front of me when we are in the desert.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thanks

Of course, I am running a plastic grill. What truck made in the last 40 years doesn’t use a plastic grill from the factory? :confused:

There are much bigger things to worry about than if a plastic grill is going to protect a radiator. :eek:

I am glad to get rid of the shinny blinding hazard for the guy in front of me when we are in the desert.

Hehe, I guess I did not think of it that way Larry. I never drive in the dessert so the super hot chrome grill has never been an issue with me. Did you buy the grill from LMC truck? The flat black with the chrome as a contrast looks perrrrrrrrrrrrfect.:drool:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Hehe, I guess I did not think of it that way Larry. I never drive in the dessert so the super hot chrome grill has never been an issue with me. Did you buy the grill from LMC truck? The flat black with the chrome as a contrast looks perrrrrrrrrrrrfect.:drool:

It is actually an original 1977/1978 OEM grill that by buddy's (forum member ColoradoBill) dad found at a garage sale years ago. It has been lying in my attic just waiting for an excuse to be installed. This was the perfect time.

It is a throwback to the grill I had it in back in the 90's (used the old trim pieces too). That one got broke when I rear-ended a girl with a bike rack on the back of her Dodge Dynasty when I lived in the Detroit suburbs years ago. She started to pull out of a parking lot onto a road then quickly changed her mind and stopped....I didn't and bumped her. Didn't even hurt the radiator. LOL

Old grill in Windsor, ON Canada 1997. My late father posing
3119115967_d1f436e9c0_z.jpg

Here are two examples how the old chrome tube grill could be blinding for the guy in front of you on the trail. The whole bling bling fad ruined the whole chrome theme for me anyway. Glad to get rid of all large chrome surfaces. The chrome front bumper will be next to go.

1188089971_0be03b1971_z.jpg

3143571178_ef6bd16b22_z.jpg

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Wow Larry, those pics look super awesome.:drool: Sorry to hear about your father passing away. He looks like a cool old guy in the pic you posted. I dont have the problem with the glare on my chrome grill due to the fact it is getting rusty. By the way, I took your advice and am now looking into buying a turbo400/np205 out of a truck that burned down. I guess I will be looking at rebuilding the auto trans and replacing all the seals, but the price is right.:sombrero:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Big blue got a major upgrade in the camping department last week. A new 2011 custom made Phoenix popup camper by Coyote RV. It fits like it was made for it! Oh, wait….it was custom made for it. :sombrero: The rear bumper is getting reworked in a few weeks to accommodate the spare tire and fuel cans.

Coyote RV did a great job building this Phoenix!

5535989025_9b81c82e69_b.jpg

5536567712_06313b22bc_b.jpg

5536189781_7e49972946_b.jpg

5536767330_640ea6fff8_b.jpg

National Luna refrigerator/freezer
5536189723_7721632170_b.jpg

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
After eyeballing that camper again I found something I don't like about it. Its not in its natural habitat, need some pictures of it roaming free in the wide open range.:elkgrin: That has to be one of the sexiest pop up/fullsize truck campers I have seen, ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz