Larry's 1978 K10

1stDeuce

Explorer
Sounds like the oil is foaming Larry. Are you perhaps missing one of the oil slingers (shields) that may have been before/after the pinion bearings, which allows the fast spinning bearings to whip the oil into a foamy mess that ends up puking out the vent? Thicker dino oil may help prevent this, but I think it's more about the additives...

??

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I was worried about your rocker panels a few times in the video. Do you plan on building sliders? Awesome inspiring pictures!!!

-jorge

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Whoa...Bill got himself a bumper since the last time I saw him. Nice! Looks like a great time was had by all. I still love that burble from the 8.1 as it just cruises on up whatever it meets. :sombrero:

p.s. My vote for the rear diff fix is the return to "dino" gear oil. I know, it doesn't make sense, but that's my story.

Ya! Bill got himself a sweet Buckstop bumper just before this year’s desert trip (you know, the one you stood us up on :sombrero:). He’s got it loaded up nicely with a WARN winch, air compressor and huge air tank stashed behind the bumper. Turned out really nice! I agree on the dino oil. This last time it went back together the pig was filled with dinosaur juice.

Sounds like the oil is foaming Larry. Are you perhaps missing one of the oil slingers (shields) that may have been before/after the pinion bearings, which allows the fast spinning bearings to whip the oil into a foamy mess that ends up puking out the vent? Thicker dino oil may help prevent this, but I think it's more about the additives...

??

GM 10.5” 14 bolt axles don’t use oil slingers. I think you are thinking of Dana rear axles. But, I agree on the oil. I’m not sold on synthetic oils yet.

I was worried about your rocker panels a few times in the video. Do you plan on building sliders? Awesome inspiring pictures!!!

-jorge

Funny, I wasn’t worried about the rockers or doors at all while we were on the trail until I got home and saw the video and was like
eek.gif

Adding sliders to these old GM trucks with side-saddle fuel tanks and flexy c-channel frames is not easy plus they’d probably get twisted off from the frame flex.

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
Awesome pics of that trip there Larry.

That wasn't my axle in the picture I posted. I'm thinking you have an intermittently heating up bearing in there. Just get a new axle dang it!! lol

With your skills, adding sliders to that puppy is a no brainer. Quit with the c-channel excuses... :p

Again, love the pics!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Another fishing trip

Got another fishing and trail riding trip on the books. Probably the last one for 2014 in the K10. This area is near Westcliffe, CO. The trail to the lakes is not a difficult or challenging trail. It’s just steep and narrow with decent size boulders just about everywhere. It's just rough enough to keep the Subaru and mountain bike type rifraff away and not bad enough to be too interesting for the Rock Crawler crowd.

Lead in road from CO Hwy 69.
15458722092_4455428da4_b.jpg

First stop Balwin Lake. This lake is about an hour up the trail form the trail head.
15459252745_5c43dc0a4e_b.jpg

The water so incredibly clear. I could see fish everywhere but they wanted to part of whatever I had to offer. I tried worms, power bait, fireballs, and several different types of lures. Finally caught on Rainbow on a Panther Martin lure.
15455943841_3464710695_b.jpg

Me fishin way over there in that corner
15435987366_6ef8241504_b.jpg

After fishing at Balwin for a few hours we headed on up the trail for another hour and a half to Rainbow Lake where we spent the night. Totally got skunked at this lake. Not even a bite, didn’t even see fish rising but I did see four swim by as I was fishing. If it wasn’t for those 4 I would have thought there were no fish in this lake. A few years ago my buddy Rob (zoomad75) and I fished up here where I caught two nice ones over in that corner on the other side where the black rock slide is. Not this year! Although there were some mountain goats up behind me at one point that scared the hell out of me as I could hear something clacking around up there then rocks started sliding down and I saw one looking down at me.
15459113305_3a9f277b5c_b.jpg

You can see the truck stashed up in the corner. This turns out to be a great place to set up camp as it is the last corner to get dark in the evening and the first to gain sunlight in the morning. You don’t find many places like that but it just works out that way this time of year and the way the mountains cast shadows. The best part about lakes like these is there isn’t a sole around. The trail is just rough enough to keep the riffraff out. Even ATVers find the trail to rocky to have an enjoyable ride. The entire weekend we only saw 2 ATVs, two horses and new Jeep Rubicon with Iowa plates head up as we were leaving.
15272554997_d1af655c98_b.jpg

Got to have a beauty shot
15272528927_509c5f60da_b.jpg

I’m not one of those truck camper guys that carry leveling blocks. Just use natures leveling rocks!
15272574208_9c6bdd5f6f_b.jpg

After breakfast and more unsuccessful fishing we headed on up the trail to see if we could get to the mine at the top. The trail gets pretty narrow from Rainbow Lake on up
15272452839_848cb1dd46_b.jpg

Lots of overgrowth. Definitely added to the pin striping on the truck
15272603598_0089d9fdbe_b.jpg

There were countless trees laying over the road pretty much the entire trip from when we left the main dirt road at the bottom of the mountain. We were able to barely squeak under or move most but not this big guy. We ended up backing down the steep and narrow trail for about 1/8 mile. What a PITA!
15272447950_e2e477b3b7_b.jpg

This video is short clip of the trail on the way back down after we turned around.

On the way back down we decided to stop at this old cabin and take a look around. Tried to fish in the stream behind it but didn’t have any luck
15459179855_89df00c9ed_b.jpg

The sign on the door says the cabin is for the Mine use. Public not allowed.
15458818062_421450effe_b.jpg

Neat old stove
15459158305_b98a1e9cca_b.jpg

Really nice little stream behind the cabin. Saw a few little trout hiding in the corners
15272488550_473444e98d_b.jpg

Shortly after leaving the cabin

The downed trees everywhere were crazy. We squeaked by this one pretty easy on the way up but coming down was a different story. My MIL had to drive the truck while I got on camper roof and lifted the tree out of the way. Funny, just before this picture was taken we saw some ole cowboy and his wife on horses that were on the Rainbow trail that crosses the 4x4 trail. The ole cowboy with a chew stained beard and a pistol on his belt tells me “boy, I wouldn’t bring my truck up here” then I replied, “yeah, I just thinking that I wouldn’t ride my horse up here. He might trip and fall and kill us both”. He didn’t think that was funny. Sure enough, we got to the bottom of the trail there was a Ford Stupid Duty with a horse trailer hitched up to it. No wonder he wouldn’t take his truck up there. Powerstoke was probably broken down.
15272479129_365fa415e9_b.jpg

Another damn tree! There must have been a dozen fallen trees on this trail. I need to throw a saw in the truck!

That’s pretty much it. We continue on down the mountain and stopped at the first lake where we started the day before (Balwin) where I continue to get humiliated by the fish for a few more hours. After that we took the long bouncy trail down to the dirt road to air up and hit the highway. From the spot where we air up the tires to home is about an hour and 10 minutes.

Fun weekend :sombrero:

Woofwagon

Adventurer
Larry, what did you use for the seats themselves? I have a bench in my Burb and would like to eventually install buckets that are more comfortable for my large frame.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Larry, what did you use for the seats themselves? I have a bench in my Burb and would like to eventually install buckets that are more comfortable for my large frame.

That is exactly what they are, factory 1989 Suburban buckets and center console. Exact same ones in my '89 V2500 Suburban. They're comfy too!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Larry I have to say that is some pretty choice Colorado scenery you posted there. Good to see both you and the misses out enjoying that 4x4 run. Some cool looking terain that seems tactical in spots. I personally use my chainsaw way more than the winch I dont have. Get yourself a little Stihl or Husquvarna and you will be a happy camper. The truck looks great as usual and those pics and vids make me want to come down your way and go for a rip. Cheers, Chilli...:wings:

snowaddict91

Adventurer
Your recent posts have me missing CO in a bad way...and ditto on the chainsaw, always kept mine in the truck with all the beetle kill and dead fir around.

Woofwagon

Adventurer
I keep a small 18" bar chainsaw in the truck when I go for a wilderness trek. I'll do the same in the Woofwagon.

GJStringert

Observer
Hi Larry,

I've followed your build for quite a while but I don't think I've ever posted in your thread. You have an awesome rig, I keep a spot reserved for when I find the right deal on an old square body Chevy like yours, truly a perfect truck. And you just can't beat an 8.1 in old iron! Truck's got it where it counts my friend...

Not to derail the thread or anything, but I work for a company that's contracted at the Pueblo Chemical Depot, where the "PCAPP" site is located. I'm moving to Pueblo West next May when I finish my undergrad, so I'll see you around eventually!

Anyway, I figured I'd chime in and give you 2 more thumbs up from another Colorado kid. Keep up the great work and adventures!

Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94