Larry's 1978 K10

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
The Stove/Sink and Solar are installed! Robby at Phoenix Popup Campers did a great job with installing both goodies. I can’t wait for the 2014 travel season to begin! Expo 2014 will probably be the first chance this year I will be able to get to sneak away to try it out.

13322012804_3c2761daaf_c.jpg

13321922883_4b7d0a78f3_c.jpg

The original setup. I just grew tired of the little sinks and Suburban brand stove top. Suburban brand stoves are dirt reliable and a staple of the RV industry for eons but I got tired of listening it to it rattle. There is nothing I hate more than squeaks and rattles! With this stove top gone, the old truck doesn’t have a single rattle now. Whoo hoo!
5536189781_7e49972946_b.jpg

Got Solar’d too. We'll see how long it takes me to prune it off on a tree. :costumed-smiley-007
13321787233_3dd044e89b_c.jpg

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Sweet! I love the look of the new counter top. That sink looks like it can be of much better use too. Very nice.
I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the solar setup too. :) Very cool.

This rig just continues to get better and better.. Great work.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Finally getting around to fixing the rear winch that has been inoperable for the past 2 years. Yeah, I am one of guys that fell victim to falling for one of those cheap Smittybilt XRC10 winches about 7 years ago. In 7 years I've only been able to use this winch twice because it is always broke. This winch has gone through 3 relay packs over the years. The funny thing is I have an original Hicky Sidewinder winch on the front which was a dealer option on GM trucks in the 70's. It is a slow old dog with tiny 5/16 cable that seems like it is only 15 feet long and a meesly 6 or 8,000 lb capacity. But you know what? It has always WORKED!! Always! And work well as long as it is snatch blocked but yet the Smittybilt can't work longer than a few months.

The first failed relay pack failed where the winch would not work at all, until I bypassed the relay to run the winch. The second time the relay pack failed it ran but would not stop. Talk about running around the truck as fast as I could to disconnect the battery! The third time it failed was like the first where it just wouldn't work. I've spoken to Smittybilt which confirmed my thoughts that they suck and I will never purchase anything from them again. Their service is horrible and their tech assistance guys are clueless.

As much as I would love to just replace this turd of a winch with a WARN the truck play fund is not up to laying down that kind of money right now so I chose to go a different route with the relay this time. While looking for parts for this Smittybilt I found the winch is actually built by T-MAX and they have a great looking relay pack called a Boomer Box with a really slick wireless system. The Boomer Box will actually work on many winches other than just T-MAX and Smitychit. I figured, what the heck……might as well give it a try. It can't be any worse than the Smittybilt junk relays I've been spending $100 a piece only for them work a few months. Now with a better (I hope!) relay pack where I can actually use this winch more than twice might we'll see if the rest of the winch is a grenade too.

This is the T-MAX Boomer Box
47-3500-integrated-control-unit.jpg

Original location of the relay pack. Perhaps the mounting of the relay pack is why it kept failing. Smittybilt says this mounting is okay. The real world says, it ain't so!
3251304521_86aa1513c6_z.jpg

T-Max Boomer Box controls. The control on the left can be plugged directly into the boomer box or you can plug the wireless receiver on the right into the box and use a small wireless remote (not pictured) to operate the winch.
15271462135_630a037327_z.jpg

The wireless receiver has a magnetic base so you can stick it someplace out of the way while in use.
15084906037_dbf4b8d7d6_z.jpg

Location where I mounted the Boomer Box. Not ideal placement but given the limited space on the rear of the truck to work with this will have to do. In a perfect world, this Boomer Box should be on the driver's side of the truck but it is virtually impossible to run the power cables from the LH side to the RH side of the winch motor therefore it ended up on the RH side.
15248486546_674370f0b8_z.jpg

T-Max claims these are water proof. Guess, time will tell! I draped a deflector over the front to help shield away as much grime as possible.
15084913118_c3cf7ec7be_z.jpg

Winch view from behind. Never mind the axle surgery....that was another long story
14682671194_a7df74706f_z.jpg

Old Sidewinder on the front. Reliable ole dog!
14306642946_e222ac8701_z.jpg

We're doing a mountain trip this weekend for a few days of fishing, trailriding and camping. It is supposed to be rainy and miserable the entire weekend so with that….we may just get an opportunity to use the winch.

Last edited:

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
As long as I'm coming there will always be a possibility to use either winch. I should know, I've been on the end of either cable a time or two.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
As long as I'm coming there will always be a possibility to use either winch. I should know, I've been on the end of either cable a time or two.

Hehe…well, if it wasn’t for you the winch wouldn’t ever get used. That is why I put one on the back…to pull you around :elkgrin:

Relax safety experts, we weren’t ready to tug yet when this picture was taken. The winch blanket wasn’t on and we hadn’t properly attached the cable to the white K5 yet. K5 barber poled a rear drive shaft on a boulder back in 2009
3853034490_af03220c57_z.jpg

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I have time.... I'll just wait patiently for the story!

Grab your :lurk:

It's a goofy long story alright. My axle has Gonorrhea. Well, the story begins late last March in Death Valley as we were just outside of Furnace Creek on our way up to Scotty's Castle. As we were cruising along up the steep and narrow road a few miles from Scotty's the truck suddenly slowed down like an anchor had just been latched to the bumper. It happened three times very quickly. No wheel lockup but the truck made a quick three step reduction in speed. It was odd, it wasn't like the engine lost power but more like the brakes applied but yet I could tell it wasn't brakes. There was no noise associated with the sudden drag either. Anyway we arrive at Scotty's and I do a quick walk around once we park and discovered the rear axle vent puking its guts out (Hey, Scotty….no charge for repaving your parking lot for you
waytogo.gif
). There was gear oil everywhere! I thought, okay….it was a long steep climb, so maybe it just got hot. We toured Scotty's then the crew all headed on out into the desert to play for the rest of the week on the trails. We did the Race Track, Lippincott Pass, (and others that I can't remember their names) over the next few days with no issue. Then as we left Panamint Springs in Death Valley on our way to Beatty, NV it did it again. I felt the axle stall 3 quick times and let loose. When we stopped for fuel the axle vent tube was having an orgasm again while squirting gear lube everywhere. Now I am really thinking there is some major heat being generated in the axle as we make those steep climbs. I was also starting to suspect the Autozone house brand gear oil as not up to par for the heat. Although, it's not that hot in DV in late March anyway!

From there it was another 2 days and 1,500 miles to get home and the axle never again stalled or belched oil as we saw toothed our way through Utah and the mountain passes of CO. Once I got home I pulled the cover to have a look around. All looked great with no evidence of overheating at all. I decided to order a HD rear cover that also allows for more fluid capacity. I slapped that on along with some Schaffer Synthetic gear oil (75/90) then a few weeks later we took off for OX13 in Flagstaff. On the way to OX13 when we stopped to visit first coffee return station in Trinidad, CO (90 miles from home) I found the damn axle belched out a ton more oil and coated the entire rear of the camper, fuel cans, water can, etc. I was pissed. This synthetic oil is horrible to clean off! Stinks too!! We mushed on to Flag anyway where it finally stopped puking somewhere between Albuquerque and Flag…finally! It behaved nicely on the way back home as well with no leaking but I never added oil….I just let it go thinking it needed to find its happy spot level on its own.

So last winter while I was redoing the NV4500 I pulled the fill plug on the rear axle and poked my finger in there. I couldn't reach oil so I shined a light in there. Couldn't see oil…..so I poked wire in there and the oil was at least 2 to 3” down from the hole. Umm, that's not right so I let it be until I could open the axle up again. By the time I had time to mess with the rear axle again was about a week before OX14. This time I removed both axle ends suspecting maybe there is a wheel bearing issue. I found nothing but a leaky axle seal on the LH side and the bearing cage on the outer bearing on the RH side was cracked….BUT, there was no real smoking gun as to what caused the two stall episodes in DV and all of the purging of oil out the tube. I went ahead and slapped some new shoes, axle seals and one new bearing & race, sealed it up then hit the road. This time I was a bit wiser….I zip tied a bottle over the vent to catch any oil rather than let it spray all over the back of the camper again.

So, we head out Southbound and down to OX14 and get as far as Alamosa, CO and the 12 oz. bottle is filled to the brim and spilling over. I am like ******!!! I figure okay, the only thing I haven't done recently was to replace the vent hose. I replaced the vent, but not the hose so I stopped by Napa and hosed for nice oil type hose. This time I went ahead and added oil back to the axle. From Alamosa to Farmington, NM it never leaked again, which is a long ride where we were flying along at 70 to 75 MPH most of the way. The next time I looked at the axle vent was when we stopped in Holbrook, AZ and what do I see? Another 12 full oz's of gear oil! Errrrr!!! I just dumped the oil out in there oil bin behind the truck stop and we mushed on.

From there we hung out for the weekend at the Overland Expo then following Monday morning several of us convoyed up to Canyonlands to play for the rest of the week. From Flag to Hite Marina that dang thing continued to belch oil. It is amazing it even had any oil left in the stupid thing so for safe measure I grabbed a few bottles of gear oil in Mexican Hat. Once we arrived at Hite I topped off the axle again then we played in the back country for several days. The next Friday we started heading home and you guessed it, it belched oil all the way home. I just kept stopping ever few hours to dump out the 12 bottle but never added any oil back.

The funny thing is there is no axle noise ever….it is as quite as a church mouse. There also doesn't appear to be any major heat being created as I can touch and hold the axle hub as well as place my palm on the diff cover (I've since purchased a lazar temp gun).

So we get home from OX14 and Canyonlands and this time I'm really pissed and scratching my head. I've been messing with 14 bolts for over 25 years and have never seen anything like this. I pulled the thing completely apart to take a closer look at the ring and pinion, side bearings, pinion bearings, etc. I found the LH axle seal blown this time, the pinion bearing looked okay but not perfect. Same with the side bearings. They are probably as old as the axle is (1976) where they showed some wear but no pitting or bluing or anything else that would be a smoking gun to point to the oil purge problem or why it stalled in DV. I sent the pinion assembly to the local driveline shop to have a new bearing and crush sleeve installed while I replaced every bearing in that axle. All of them got replaced with name brand bearings. Of course, it also got a new set of shoes again because they were so soaked with oil. I also closely measured the oil that went back in (this time I went back to 80W-90 instead of blood thin synthetic) to make sure the oil level was 10mm below the oil fill tube per the service manual.

So with that..I still don't know if it is fixed. It's not like you can just take it for a quick spin around the block to see if it will leak or not. It needs to go on a long ride for a hundred miles or so before it gets fussy. We're going to turn about 400 miles this weekend but they will be low speed mountain highway miles instead of highspeed interstate driving.

I don't believe the axle is getting hot, there is no evidence of overheating. It is like somehow for some reason the axle is building pressure and pushing the oil out. The faster I drive, the faster it will start coming out which would point to a vent problem. The vent is clear and breathable both ways. The only time it belched oil at low speeds was the first time in Death Valley where we were going speed limit (40 MPH) on the road to Scotty's Castle. The other times have been when cruising 75+ MPH. The axle has been in this truck since 1997, Detroit Locker and gears have been in it for a long time as well but this problem started out of the blue. I did add a set of zero rate springs in the rear but it did not change the pinion angle and the pinion angle is fine. If it does it again after replacing every bearing, I'm going to make a boat anchor out of this one and start over with a later model 11.5" AAM axle. I'm sick of the Detroit Locker anyway. I've already spoken to many of the axle go to people in the industry (Stephen Watson at ORD, Randy's Ring and Pinion, Dynatrac and an engineer from Arvin-Meritor through work). They're all scratching their heads too. Time will tell! Open to any ideas if anyone has ran into this one before
dunno.gif

Last edited:

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
Truly bizarroooo. Great break down Larry!

where is your breather port located? Can you access it from the inside?

Is it like this one on the passenger side? Notice any weeping from other places?

IMG_20130721_172403_478_zps941aa874.jpg

Pinion oil port lined up?

IMG_3831.jpg

Last edited:

82fb

Adventurer
Weird story for sure. I don't think the stalling, binding feeling has anything to do with your rear axle. Brakes maybe, but if something bound up in your axle enough to slow that 8.1 motor, you would find it when you opened it up!

The oil seems like its just overfilled and when it heats up, gets pushed out of the breather. Or the oil is somehow frothing up when it gets hot. I would add an additional vent to the top of the housing about two inches to the right of the ring gear, so it doesn't get splashed constantly.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Truly bizarroooo. Great break down Larry!

where is your breather port located? Can you access it from the inside?

Is it like this one on the passenger side? Notice any weeping from other places?

Pinion oil port lined up?

The vent on mine is in the same location as yours. No other weeping or leaking anywhere else. Yeah, the pinion is port is lined up. I don't think you can install those wrong as the holes are offset where you can only install the pinion assembly one way.

Weird story for sure. I don't think the stalling, binding feeling has anything to do with your rear axle. Brakes maybe, but if something bound up in your axle enough to slow that 8.1 motor, you would find it when you opened it up!

The oil seems like its just overfilled and when it heats up, gets pushed out of the breather. Or the oil is somehow frothing up when it gets hot. I would add an additional vent to the top of the housing about two inches to the right of the ring gear, so it doesn't get splashed constantly.

Oh, yeah….there is no doubt in my mind the stall was the axle. Overfilling could be part of it but like I mentioned I let it puke its guts out until it stopped blowing oil out the tube. When I pulled the plug to see where the oil level ended up it was way too low to the point the pinion bearing wasn't even in the oil.

The good news is we turned over 400 miles this weekend with no issue. Not a single drop out of the vent or any other issues. Although this trip didn't involve any Interstate speeds where you can fly along 80 MPH. Members Coloradobill, Zoomad75, his son and my neighbor bugged out for a few days for some fun trail riding and fishing. The weather was near perfect and the fall trees were spectacular! Probably the prettiest trip I've ever done in my home state. Perfect 2 night/3 day fall trip.

This is Taylor Pass that runs from Taylor Park area over to Aspen. It was a great ride! The guys on the motorcycles didn't think any of us could crawl up this mess. My neighbor shot the video.....He is definitely a better drinker than videographer!

Airing down at the Tin Cup trailhead. I forgot the deflators at home in the Suburban so we had to improvise with an ink pin
15311616741_964810553a_b.jpg

We took Tin Cup Pass to Mirror Lake and spent the first night. Fishing here always yields at least a couple fish but their usually pretty small. Pretty place though! Too bad for the crappy cell phone pic
15130540090_c67f25b384_b.jpg

The view on the crawl up Taylor Pass
15128142739_30d848361d_b.jpg

Before long the trail and the creek become one with a nasty boulder wall to climb up at the other end
15128362987_cae129b3a6_b.jpg

Coloradobill
15128377947_a6c2bf5bfc_b.jpg

We've been over this pass 3 or 4 times in the past 10 years and this is the worst we've seen this spot yet. Seems to be getting more boney with each passing season. Sure kick myself for forgetting the GoPro at home along with those damn tire deflators!
15314603312_3175e0185a_b.jpg

Looking down from the top
15314617362_ec741b22e4_b.jpg

Fished at Taylor Lake for a bit and caught dinner!
15128336259_843f4f8893_b.jpg

Looking back at the lake on the crawl up to the summit
15292076686_fbf8bdb163_b.jpg

Cool poser shot looking back at the lake
15314810262_e970df6070_b.jpg

This is just as you crest the summit and start the long haul down to Aspen
15292186916_ff9f48f0f7_b.jpg

15314885922_fd51bf4990_b.jpg

15128697357_d44610bd04_b.jpg

Second night campsite
15315013412_fa23100f27_b.jpg

Amazing!
15292330716_2dd884d061_b.jpg

15292339766_f1b3c51b08_b.jpg

Very pretty place to air up
15315381965_6b4be0d427_b.jpg

We found a roof basket lying on the side of the trail so we threw it up on top of the K5 for a poser shot….then took it home for mounting later.
15292356576_ef79ce9fdd_b.jpg

This was definitely the most beautiful Colorado trip I've ever done. It was the perfect balance of off-roading, camping, fishing, great weather and spectacular views. The other good (and bad) news is I never got a chance to use the rear winch :victory: ....and so far the rear axle rebuilt seems to have cured the gonorrhea so far.

Last edited:
Whoa...Bill got himself a bumper since the last time I saw him. Nice! Looks like a great time was had by all. I still love that burble from the 8.1 as it just cruises on up whatever it meets. :sombrero:

p.s. My vote for the rear diff fix is the return to "dino" gear oil. I know, it doesn't make sense, but that's my story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz