Backcountry rescue design thesis

orion-design

Hello everybody!

I was wondering if you could help me out. I am a 4th year Industrial Design student at Virginia Tech (aka "Product Design" at some schools), and I am currently working on a project related to wilderness/backcountry rescue. I am particularly focusing on systems, gear, or vehicle modifications that make it easier to reach a victim over rough terrain, and ways to make it more comfortable and minimize further damage to the injured party as they are transported back out. I am focusing mainly on vehicle-based solutions at the moment, but that's not set in stone. Mostly, I'm interested in what happens when a victim is in an area that's difficult to access by road or helicopter (i.e., dense trees).

In order to make informed decisions, I need to assemble as much first-hand information as possible. I have created a short survey (should take no more than 5 minutes), at https://survey.vt.edu/survey/entry.jsp?id=1297098890408 . I would greatly appreciate it if you (and as many of your colleges as you can convince, con, or blackmail) would take a few moments to provide your input and suggestions.

Thanks for your time, I greatly appreciate your feedback.

Sincerely,
Chris Corrigan
Virginia Tech Industrial Design
orion343@vt.edu

orion-design

Great feedback so far guys!
I was wondering, does anyone know of any other search & rescue/backcountry forums it would be good to post this on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne