Little Guy

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
EDIT 5/9/11 --- If you don't want to read the entire thread, my trailer has many issues and I'm having difficulty sorting them out with Little Guy. Caveat Emptor.
If you're considering an off-road teardrop trailer, look to Adventure Trailers or Moby1.
6/14/11 EDIT to the EDIT: Little Guy is returning my trailer to the factory this week to try and address the lingering issues.

8/20/11 -- Edit to the Edit to the Edit: Got the trailer back today and it's still not right. It's at a local shop getting fixed and I'll fix some other things.
Long story short, if you see a Little Guy on a lot and like it, go ahead and buy it. It's not a bad little trailer.
If you want one modded, do it yourself or have another outfitter like Adventure Trailers or Bunduguy do it. Little Guy doesn't understand overlanding and is not equipped to service our demographic.

I chatted with Chris from Little Guy online the other day and was pleasantly surprised; they are not part of the Global Conspiracy Against the Tall.

We're thinking of selling our Conqueror Compact and getting a teardrop. But, at 6'5", I want a large bed in the teardrop.

I had hitherto dismissed Little Guy trailers. Seemed that they were "cute" but either didn't have a large bed or didn't have a proper galley.

Then the chat with Chris. And he says that they can build a Silver Shadow 6'x10' with a Rough Rider chassis. He'll make room for two Optimas, tires to match my JK, an ARB fridge.
:Wow1: :Wow1: :drool: :drool:
That's a rolling kingsized bed with a full galley on 33s. Everything I need.

I'm also thinking of adding solar and plan to consult with Jim at Optima abouth thoughts on that.

Suggestions, comments, advice, sympathy are all welcomed now.

Picture this trailer:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ZtC9iCBCU"]YouTube - Silver Shadow Highline 5 x 10[/ame]

had a baby with this trailer:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvzBkVdE0vw"]YouTube - Little Guy Rough Rider[/ame]

Last edited:

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I had a chance to see a Rough Rider in person, they appear to be well made. And another nice thing about the little guy is that there are located in Ohio, less than 10 hr drive from us Georgians, and not at the West Coast like most everybody else.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I had a chance to see a Rough Rider in person, they appear to be well made. And another nice thing about the little guy is that there are located in Ohio, less than 10 hr drive from us Georgians, and not at the West Coast like most everybody else.

He'll deliver it to his dealer in Duluth for free. Even better.
Chris will be here next week and I plan to go visit; wanna come? Might stay the weekend ---- I'll suggest that he come wheel with us, meet some locals. I'm sure that Stumpy and Chad would want to pick his brains. You'd learn a few things too...

4x4x4doors

Explorer
I have one of the original 4 wide Little Guys and am also 6'5". Length is NOT an issue.

Caveats: The shape on the originals is rounded at the front and the rear. This may impact length. As the mattrress lifts you a few inches above floor level, you gain length.

hooked_up.jpg

webimage001g.jpg

webimage001j.jpg

For my purposes, traveling solo, the 4 wide is plenty.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Chris will be here next week and I plan to go visit; wanna come? Might stay the weekend ---- I'll suggest that he come wheel with us, meet some locals. I'm sure that Stumpy and Chad would want to pick his brains. You'd learn a few things too...
Sounds like an idea! I am local next week so that might work. I'd might learn something, and I have a couple ideas I would like to discuss with somebody like him. Do we all bring our trailers to meet him? :elkgrin:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Sounds like an idea! I am local next week so that might work. I'd might learn something, and I have a couple ideas I would like to discuss with somebody like him. Do we all bring our trailers to meet him? :elkgrin:
I'll be coming from work most likely. His dealer is Subaru of Gwinnett.

For my purposes, traveling solo, the 4 wide is plenty.
Nice trailer.
It's the wife, dog, and me on roadtrips. A queen or smaller gets mighty tight after one night...

someday

Adventurer
Im going to little guy head quarters this weekend, its only a couple hours from me. Looking at a rough rider (duh). I have been researching teardrops for a while, unfortunately, I dont have time or resources to build one, and AT's are out of my price range :))).

I havent been able to find many long term customer reviews. 4x4x4 - how has your held up?

So far everytime I have txt'ed or emailed them they have been extremely quick and helpful responding.

just my 2 cents

I am looking forward to what they build for you. Did they give you an estimate of what that will run?

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
As much as I hate to admit it, I may be accused of keeping up with the Pearlman's on this one. I have been thinking hard about selling my trailer rig and building a nicely equipped teardrop.

The RTT is just getting too small, especially with the newest addition. I have visions of rolling into camp, and being "set-up" in about 5 minutes or less. Also the added security and room of the hard sides...

Damn you Bill

Sincerely, ~ Stump

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I am looking forward to what they build for you. Did they give you an estimate of what that will run?
He gave me a ballpark figure that I won't advertise; it was very fair but I'm sure it will change a bit as we work out the build details.
The poor fellow will have to get creative to make things fit. But he seemed stoked by the idea and I liked that about him. He knew what I was asking him to do and why.
The guy lives and breathes trailers.

We might be able to drag him and Lisa (from the dealership) out for a little wheeling. Who's coming and has ride-along room? I'll only have one open seat.

Last edited:

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
As much as I hate to admit it, I may be accused of keeping up with the Pearlman's on this one. I have been thinking hard about selling my trailer rig and building a nicely equipped teardrop.

The RTT is just getting too small, especially with the newest addition. I have visions of rolling into camp, and being "set-up" in about 5 minutes or less. Also the added security and room of the hard sides...

Damn you Bill

Sincerely, ~ Stump
Group buy? :D

I'm also toying with a tear drop sorta like trailer that I could modify towards me needs (or convince people like Chris or Chad that my ideas are genious :eek:) , but my purchase is very likely still a couple years out.

someday

Adventurer
He gave me a ballpark figure that I won't advertise; it was very fair but I'm sure it will change a bit as we work out the build details.

:iagree: Completely understandable. After I sent that question, I thought it was none my business. :)

I am really looking forward to going up there this weekend.

Group buy? If I can have it by June Im in, though I might put in my order this weekend!:wings:

Does anyone know how these hold up over time? (hope im not beating a dead horse) I plan on spending 40+ nights a year in it and hopeing the simplicity of the teardrop is durable.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Got permission to post pics of one of his custom builds. This is along the lines of what I'll be doing but my galley will be more mainstream. I'll have a 2-burner slide-out stove, ARB fridge on a slide, propane below the stove, little sink with the 5 gal res.
The cabin interior is sweet with the space of the 6'-wide and 10' long. Cabinets at both ends and under-bed storage too. Plus the tool box up front, roofracks, awning. Drool.

This unit he's building has a bodacious front porch for an ATV and a huge kitchen.
OffRoadShadowIMG_4818.jpg

OffRoadShadow2011-02-03_15-11-30_56.jpg

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
We might be able to drag him and Lisa (from the dealership) out for a little wheeling. Who's coming and has ride-along room? I'll only have one open seat.
If I manage to come, I would have one or two empty seats for people who don't mind getting licked to death by 4 Yorkshire Terriers :elkgrin:

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Group buy? :D

You must have skipped over the part where it said I would be building it myself... :elkgrin:

Our discretionary spending account has been permanently frozen until further notice, due to the arrival of our newest edition.

~ Stump

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
You must have skipped over the part where it said I would be building it myself... :elkgrin:

Our discretionary spending account has been permanently frozen until further notice, due to the arrival of our newest edition.

~ Stump
Sell a couple of your toy boats. :snorkel:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne