Expo Hummvees

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
There are two Humvees on the GSA auction site in St Louis MO, 11 days left on the auction. It looks like they have ambulance bodies on them. If I knew how to put the link here I would. Maybe someone a little more computer savvy than me can. Man I would like to see one parked in my driveway, I wish they would take a wife and some kids as payment.:)

NJMedic

Expo Humvee

I dont think they are for sale The military I heard are destroying the humvees like they did with the old Ford M151 Mutts

shogun

Adventurer
I dont think they are for sale The military I heard are destroying the humvees like they did with the old Ford M151 Mutts

Well, not exactly.

There was supposedly a deal between the army and AMG that none would be released to public. This preserved the civilian market for AMG.

However, the USMC does not go through USA procurement channels and being, uh, thrifty, they have released them to civilian sales starting about late 90's. Thats why you dont see any genuine mil ones in movies till about then. The first lot they released were in terrible condition with lots of salt/rust damage. The cost to refurbish was prohibitive except to cost-no-object collectors and movie prop companies.

Since then I am sure more have been released by USMC (mostly two-man pickups). I am unsure if the USA finally gave in or not, or if the terms of the trust agreement changed with AMG ownership.

I would expect them to be pretty clapped out.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
They are listed as 1998 Hummvees and are DOJ/DEA rigs. They don't look 100% military but they aren't your regular civilian ones either. One of the reasons they cut up the M151's and Hummvees is because they don't meet DOT safety standards, there have been a few that slip through the cracks but buying modern surplus military vehicles is getting harder and harder.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I see that the POC is listed as 'Doj Drug Enforcement Admin'. So I doubt these are ex military units. Probably commercial H1s bought with confiscated drug money.

They look more like radio or surveillance trucks than ambulances.

Ron B

Explorer
There was supposedly a deal between the army and AMG that none would be released to public. This preserved the civilian market for AMG.

AMGeneral was covering their own butts -- as Shortbus mentioned there are several safety/dot items missing from humvees that the civi versions have. The dealers aren't even supposed to service humvees in civilian hands.

chrismc

Adventurer
Both of them have VINs, and one is in noticeably better condition than the other (hence the price differential). Both VINs show that they have the 6.5L turbo engine and 4sp auto, which I don't believe ever made it to the HMMWV (I think they're all 6.2/3spd). I'm pretty sure they're commercial Hummers, not mil-spec (do MVs even have VINs?).

VIN Lookups (both are "1998 AM General Hummer Hard Top 2-Door"):
137ZA8934WE182543 12566 mi - nice
2-DR UTILITY, 8 CYL AC PS PB PW PDL AM/FM/TAPE DECK. (LIGHTS & SIREN WILL BE REMOVED AND ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THE SALE OF THE VEHICLE)

137ZA8935WE182535 16670mi - winch looks like a pile of rust
2-DR UTILITY, 6.5L 8 CYL AT PS PB PW PDL, UTILITY BED HAS A SHOWER UNIT ON IT. (REAR HYDRAULIC LIFT, GENERATOR & AC NEED REPAIRS, NEEDS A BATTERY)

Humvette

Adventurer
Depending on the year model of course, but i would never buy a Humvee for the same price as a civi H1. I would buy one for about 12k and that is about it. They labled them 1998 because 99+ have to have ABS!
M

chrismc

Adventurer
It looks like Global Expedition Vehicles may have picked up one of these ex-DEA H1's. http://globalxvehicles.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/1998-AMG-Hummer.pdf

DSC_1016-copy-300x199.jpg

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
M1113, M1114, M1151, and M1152 Hummvee's are all 6.5L Turbo Diesels with 4 speed automatic transmissions. Basically as a rule of thumb if it is a "factory" uparmored hummvee or a shelter vehicle it has the turbo diesel and 4 speed auto trans.

REDROVER

Explorer
i love those trucks

Attachments

• 2749918696_9f70520255.jpg
    2749918696_9f70520255.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 30
  • ooNew-Camera-101.jpg
    ooNew-Camera-101.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Mars_Institute_Humvee.jpg
    Mars_Institute_Humvee.jpg