Option to Buy Back the Old fj40

gillti

Adventurer
My first foray into cruisers was a 1972 fj40 (see pic below). I know run a 1996 fzj80, which I just got back from the mechanics after a second top-end rebuild. (long story, one that has me getting pretty screwed by my previous mechanic). Needless to say, I don't have a great many funds. However, I sold the 40 as the family grew and purchased the 60 series. That was fun, but then I bought the 80 and couldn't afford 2 cruisers, went with the 80 as my family grew again.

I repurchased the 40 from the person who bought it, and sold it a year later to another buddy.

He just called me and wants to sell it again!

So, I'd have purchased this thing three times, and sold it twice, but have always made money on her. I love this vehicle, and my daughter (9) says she wants to drive away from her wedding in it. Thinking I might pull the trigger.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• anza3.jpg
    anza3.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 100_3937.JPG
    100_3937.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC09715.jpg
    DSC09715.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
I have been watching Craigslist religiously for a decade now, waiting for my 1970 BMW 2002 to come up for sale. I still have the VIN memorized - 1673323.

If it won't kill you to do it, I say grab it and don't look back.

WoldD90

Adventurer
Definitely do it and keep it... Not many people get this type of opportunity, and you have gotten it 3 times now...

gillti

Adventurer
Haha. I'm sensing a pattern here!

It won't kill me, but it stretches us. It will also put me back on any future plans for the 80 series for a while. I can live with that.

Trying to find a way to make it happen in the next few days!

And if I get it back, I'm not selling it again.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
If I had a chance to buy back my old 40 series I would absolutely do it. No question about it. Where do I mail the check?

Expedition Leader
I realize that I am an old guy that enjoys classic old machinery and perhaps unusual, but I don't think I could ever part with my 40 unless a grandchild needed an organ transplant or something. I have never had anything on four wheels quite so satisfying to drive. Even with it's noise, ride, and (lack of) climate control, I never get tired of driving this truck, both on and off-road. I start to go into withdrawal if I don't drive it for a few days. I've owned lots of other 4WD trucks including Hi-lux's, an 80-series Cruiser, and an FJC, but nothing has ever put a smile on my face every time quite like the 40. I'll probably buy another one, especially a BJ.

gillti

Adventurer
Hey 1911, I feel the same way. I always regret getting rid of it. I never have the cash to really do what I want, but I still love the smelly old girl.

I have a dream of purchasing one and tearing it down and doing a restoration on it in order to give it to my daughter when she turns driving age. I'd like to pick a vehicle for each kid as they turn 10 or so and take a few years to rebuild. This would be the start of that!

gillti

Adventurer
This is almost a done deal. I've got to sell another toy. A vespa GT 200. Nice little ride. Can't use it much now that I take 2 kids to school in the morning.

I'm starting to get excited about this thing. . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles