Option to Buy Back the Old fj40

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
This is almost a done deal. I've got to sell another toy. A vespa GT 200. Nice little ride. Can't use it much now that I take 2 kids to school in the morning.

I'm starting to get excited about this thing. . .

NICE! I'm thinking you are not going to miss the Vespa too much.

My wife still makes fun of me when I watched my 1979 FJ40 drive away, something about a grown man crying (no idea what see was talking about):eek:

gillti

Adventurer
Sorting it out. Might have a buyer for the Vespa as well. And, I know someone who might have a few parts that it needs;)

Off Duty

Adventurer
You've gotten rid of it several times, and it just keeps coming back.
That's telling you something!
I regret ever selling my old (first and only) 40:(

As for your daughter, I'm doing a similar thing for my granddaughter.
She fell in love with "papa's big red truck" when she was about 3.
She lives with us and see's it all the time. She's always asking "papa, when you going to fix your big red truck?"

I've decided to do it, and she and I are going to do some Florida Explorations in it.
And when I'm gone, or she's ready to drive, it's hers...memories and all:coffee:

I'm glad to see you're doing this for your daughter.
You're a good man my friend!:beer:

gillti

Adventurer
Sitting in the Driveway. . .

well, she's back. sitting in the driveway in her old space. Lots of work to do. The interim owner (io) didn't do her a ton of favors. on first glance:

1. Different gearing. He swapped in a 3.73 (I think) in the rear when he broke the pinion. 4.11's on the front. Need to get them the same--what would you guys suggest. This is not going to be doing HEAVY wheeling. Mostly overland type stuff. I really want to set this rig up to be fun for me and and the kids. I'm not super knowledgable about gearing, so any help is appreciated.

2. Rear Shock. the drivers side shock must have left him somewhere on the road, and now there is none. Need to get 4 new shocks. Suggestions?

Also, what is the best way to know about the size of the shocks? just take em off and measure? They have no markings.

3. Speedo Cable. Need to get one. I believe it is running an sm420, so need to get one that fits that, if that is where the speedo cable goes.

4. Adjust idle. It has a weber carb and the idle is set way too low. keeps stalling on idle, particularly when it is warm.

This is the simply the first look. Crazy busy week ahead, so won't get to much before next weekend!

TwinCruiser

Observer
Hi Gillti and all the other EP members.

This is my first post, although I've been lurking for a long time.
My name is Joe and I live in Coral Gables, FL...in the Miami area.

Gillti's story sounds very much like my own and compelled me to finally start posting.

I sold my first 40, a 1976 years ago to my best friend. I made numerous attempts throughout the years to buy it back but he wasn't selling. Sadly, it was stolen some years ago and trashed.

I now own 2 Cruisers and the "family car" is a Lexus GX-470.

My first one is a '65 40, pretty much stock with the original F motor.

As my family grew (I'm the father of twins...hence my forum name), I needed more room so I bought a '92 80, with the 3F engine.

Here are some pics. I'm in the process of restoring the 40.
The 80 is pretty much done. It sports a new OME heavy lift and IPF lights.

Since these pics of the 40, I've replaced the side view mirrors with originals from SOR.
I've purchased black steelies with 3.5" backspacing from Cruiser Solutions.
The funky seat covers were replaced with black ones.

The hard top is in storage...I live in sunny FL and I like to go top less.
The bikini top was replaced with a new Bestop.

This 40 was a California car...has only been in FL for 5 years.
It has zero rust.

I need to buy tires, thinking of BF mud terrains, in 31 X 10.50 X 15.
I bought a set in 33 X 12.5 but due to a lack of funds, I can not afford to lift it, so 31s will do for now.

Sorry for the long rant...

IMG00069-20100508-1317.jpg

Background shows my old 1964 F-250 mud truck. Sold it shortly after the 40 was purchased:

Grandpa002.jpg

Pic of my wife's GX, taking X-Mas 2009, in Rock Fish, Virginia...after the blizzard of '09

LexusinsnowVA028.jpg

Pic of the 80, taken in the Big Cypress Preserve, in the Everglades:
BigCypressBearIslandCampingJan2011045.jpg

CopyofBigCypressBearIslandCampingJan2011031.jpg

My 15 year old son's first "off roading" adventure. He got his restricted license (learner's permit) one week prior to this pic.

He learned to drive in this 80...my boy has Cruisers in his blood.

BigCypressBearIslandCampingJan2011041.jpg

Loaded for a camping trip:
Collier-SeminoleJan162011035.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94