09 gmc 1500 air bags being installed

herm

Adventurer
check out my slide in build in the camper section

I am not looking to conquer legendary trails, I have a 1972 wagoneer that is (very) slowly becoming a very capable off road machine. My truck is used as my DD and as our long haul travel vehicle. we live in a fairly isolated place and travel to Salt Lake City quite a few times a year and to Michigan a few times, a 3k mile round trip, along with other vacation and weekend trips. limited off road capability, mainly gravel and dirt roads is needed. We also do fossil and ghost town hunts.

current plans:
hildebrandt light bar (done!)
hella 500 lights (done!)
roof rack and basket (done!)
duel battery setup
inverter ( need suggestions)
possibly a front receiver hitch (future)
sometime down the line a small lift to increase clearance.

Last edited:

BigCountry77

Sounds like you got a plan. For the roof rack you could try to fab your own that way you can customize to meet your needs. Good luck!!

herm

Adventurer
lights installed

i installed the light bar and 2 hella 500 driving lights today. the bar had to be re-drilled to fit the newer style tow hook mounting pattern, this is what took most of the time as the bar is stainless. I also removed the 2in tall air dam from the front lip of the truck. This is from the factory to decrease drag but it was already broke in a few places from parking curbs. I think it looks much better with it off and will have that extra clearance for the front.

with extra lip

2011-02-15_15-49-00_725.jpg

without lip
2011-02-15_15-55-15_77.jpg

side view
2011-02-15_15-49-11_243.jpg

I love the way the light bar functions and looks. it is a great design.

herm

Adventurer
ordered parts for the rack today, rhino rack from real trucks and a bunch of cast aluminum fittings and aluminum tubing from mcmaster to build the rack. going to be 5' x 3' out of 1' od tubing. Will post pictures once it is done. also getting the lights wired up. Was going to go with T slot but the tubeing will look better and is slightly cheaper.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#structural-framing/=b7vog6

bmxdannyo

Adventurer
do post pics when your done with your rack, id like to see how it looks, im still thinking of putting one on mine :smiley_drive:

herm

Adventurer
the aluminum basket is done and looks great, i may need to add a few more cross bars though. still waiting for the ups guy to bring me the rack. will post pictures when done.

herm

Adventurer
rack complete

despite the snow this morning I completed the install of the rhino rack aero 2500 and my custom aluminum basket. Rack from RealTrucks.com and aluminum parts from McMaster-Carr. the basket is 1 in OD aluminum tubing and corresponding fittings. each fitting has an allen head set screw to secure the tubing. I also added aluminum end caps to the exposed tubing. the rack is 3 feet deep and 5 feet wide. I mounted with stainless U bolts and aluminum angle. the only complaint about the aluminum system is the surface finish of the tubing. Any better ideas for mounting?

Rack done!
2011-03-03_12-18-58_167.jpg

basket mounted
2011-03-03_14-13-35_826.jpg

mounting detail
2011-03-03_14-13-45_361.jpg

done!
2011-03-03_14-14-09_440.jpg

uberhahn

Observer
Is there a way not to "stack" your rack on the rails? Can you mount them under so the package height is a bit lower? I like it overall, just seems a bit high.

herm

Adventurer
it's really not that high, only about an inch obove the rails. you could move the baskets cross bars to go under the racks cross bars but then you would not have a flat load floor. I am going to put 2 action packers up there, along with a fuel can and my propane cylinder. i think it looks high because the roof is so short. this sits maybe a total of 6 inches off the roof to the load floor.

herm

Adventurer
2011-03-12_17-20-26_384.jpg

all loaded up and ready to go. 2 action packers and a shovel on the rack.
what is your prefered way to secure the load on the rack?

I have ratchet straps over the action packers and flat bungie cords on the shovel with my truck bed net over the top of the whole thing.

herm

Adventurer
I ordered my front reciver hitch today. hopefully i do not need to modify it with the light bar in same position. I also orderd the cipa mirror extensions and a flip down license plate holder for the front. Now to find a winch and mount. This will allow me to buy one winch and use it on the jeep and the pickup... if the jeep ever gets done. also looking to add storage boxes to the back of the camper in the next few weeks.

herm

Adventurer
its been a while since i have updated anything.
today I picked up a set of Firestone airbags for a sweet price.

i am also working on designing a hidden winch mount for the pickup, the front receiver hitch did not work out. I have removed the under-ride brackets from the frame in prep for a winch.
As soon as the stock tires are wore out I will be adding a small level kit, larger rear blocks and much better tires.
I have been dealing with some IRS problems and it has taken all of my money and time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94