2001 2500 Cummins Question

GaryMc

Explorer
On Monday I'm going to test drive an '01 Ram 2500 Cummins, 137,000K on the odometer, 4x4, 6-sp tranny.
The body is a little rough but I don't really care about that. The engine has been apart though..... It a bad bottom bearing and then a new crankshaft, new clutch, new pistons and rings were installed.
That makes me a little leery as I've never heard of a cummins needing all that at such young mileage.
The dealer is asking $12,500 and I wanted to get some experienced owners thoughts.

Thanks- Gary

Darwin

Explorer
Sounds like a ticking time bomb and at that price? I would walk, no run away from that thing. Just my opinion but why spend 12 grand on that when you get a P-pumped 12 valve in better shape for half the price and 3x the reliability.

mojo1578

Move along. Nothing to see here.

That definitely sounds like you'd be asking for trouble down the road. Some 2001's also have the 53 block which can crack because of a bad casting.

FWIW, I have a 2002 with 333,000 miles on it. It did need some work through the years, but I drive it every day and it runs as well as the day I bought it. Keep looking for one that was taken care of and it will serve you well.

1speed

Explorer
My 01 has 135,000 on it and runs as good as new.

Fuel pumps, vacuum pumps and other things bolted to the motor may go bad, but if you hurt a Cummins internally at that mileage something is definitely wrong! Run away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior