Votes: 39 13.9%
  • AT Water Tank Heat Exchanger Shower

Votes: 13 4.6%
  • Other: Please post other preference and why

Votes: 73 26.0%

• Total voters

dcg141

Adventurer
I have had a Zodi Hot Tap for several years now. I long ago ditched the D cell and replaced it with a 12V dry cell and an inline switch. The pump that comes with the Zodi actually works much better with 12 volts and I have been running it for quite awhile with no issues. I also have it so I can plug into my car cig lighter.

Redman333

Adventurer
I have had a Zodi Hot Tap for several years now. I long ago ditched the D cell and replaced it with a 12V dry cell and an inline switch. The pump that comes with the Zodi actually works much better with 12 volts and I have been running it for quite awhile with no issues. I also have it so I can plug into my car cig lighter.

Do you have the dual burner zodi or single. I have a single and it really doesn't get very hot. I went camping in the summer and ambient temp was probably 68F degrees and I had to run the shower head back into the water bucket and after running it like that for around 10min it was finally warm. Not hot but warm. I've been looking for a different system since. If yours gets hot though maybe I need to send it back for a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dcg141

Adventurer
Do you have the dual burner zodi or single. I have a single and it really doesn't get very hot. I went camping in the summer and ambient temp was probably 68F degrees and I had to run the shower head back into the water bucket and after running it like that for around 10min it was finally warm. Not hot but warm. I've been looking for a different system since. If yours gets hot though maybe I need to send it back for a replacement.

I have the single and it depends on the water temp. I usually have to recirculate water but it gets really hot if I do it for very long, even in cold weather.

Last edited:

Redman333

Adventurer
I have the single and it depends on the water temp. I usually have to recirculate water but it gets really hot if I do it for very long, even in cold weather.

Maybe mines not working quite right then. Another thing I noticed when I used it I didn't have it in the enclosure and it seemed like the wind was effecting the burner some. I had to use nearly an entire Coleman fuel canister to get the water warm not hot.

dcg141

Adventurer
Maybe mines not working quite right then. Another thing I noticed when I used it I didn't have it in the enclosure and it seemed like the wind was effecting the burner some. I had to use nearly an entire Coleman fuel canister to get the water warm not hot.

Call Zodi. I understand their customer service is pretty good.

jwilson2598

Adventurer

Thanks for posting this up. I was looking at their 12V Pump and it looked like the exact same pump, just with a longer cord and cig lighter plug. I'm going to mod mine to do that so I can take advantage of my trailer battery power and not have to lug the D cell pack around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cactusjk

Explorer
Trying to figure out how close to the shower head to put the valve? Probably want it so that you can throw the valve easily without having to reach too far. How close to the shower head did you put yours?
Yep, that's exactly how it is. The main thing is that it needs to be a bypass valve, instead of a regular tee so that water to the shower head can be shut off.

jwilson2598

Adventurer
I replied to your PM, but I put it so that its in my shower enclosure, but down low by the opening. I was going to put it right next to the valve, then realized dealing with 3 hoses while rinsing off would get old quick, so it s setup that I can just bend down and flip it on, rinse, then flip it back off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Streaky

Observer
My first foray into the hot water showers has been a good one. I have a 50lt stainless steel tank in the back of the Nissan pumped via a Surflo Pump through a Helton Blue Heat exchanger. I've learnt to pump the first 20 seconds of water back into the storage tanks since it's too hot from sitting dormant in the heat exchanger.shower1.jpgshower3.jpgHelton.jpg

fourstringfletch

Adventurer
Vehicle mounted systems are certainly impressive, but they seem unnecessary on so many fronts to me when you don't have to spend too much or create mud and exhaust in camp. Also, I wonder if anyone has ever sprung a leak when a hose or heat exchanger froze? I presume you have to blow these out for the winter?

I've used a zodi extreme at an off grid cabin a lot and loved it. Out of the box they're good, and with a detachable hose and a better sprayer they're great.
If you're cheap like me though, you'll realize you don't need to buy and pack another burner if you already have a stove. I also tend to produce and waste a lot of heat since I prefer to light a fire when I camp.

My conclusion is that for my needs (portable, easy to fill in nearby lake/stream/etc, and low budget), I desire nothing more than the following. Built for about $80.

983573_650463269610_1658396209_n.jpg

994789_650464082980_1274534008_n.jpg

1010272_650464117910_391286020_n.jpg

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I keep going back and forth between a Nemo and a metal sprayer.

Nemo pros:
Nemo cons:
  • Have to heat water separately.
Sprayer pros:
  • Can heat water in the tank.
  • Can transport water in the tank.
  • Cheaper.
Sprayer cons:
  • Most under $100 are 2 gallons.
  • Size.
  • Still need to change wand for shower head.
  • Not as convenient to pump.
My wife loves the idea of the Nemo, that'll most likely be the deciding factor.

Streaky

Observer
I need a shower water system that's quick and easy to set up and take down...plus finding water in the Middle East isn't as easy as other places....plus it very rarely gets cold enough to freeze water here :) > With my Nissan I simply plug in the shower hose and off it goes!
We do a lot of beach camping...so what's better than a quick shower before the drive home. Everyone has different requirements...this one suits me perfectly :)

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I do 5 day weekends about 6 times a year in the winter. I use ice cold tap to scrub my head from a sure flow pump and a garden sprayer. I just bend way over to keep the cold water off on my body. I dry off fast and then do my feet the same way. Next I heat a small pan of water and use a dish cloth as a huge wash rag for the rest. The Zodi stays at home and I use Wet Ones wipes and not the stinking scented baby wipes when I dump. In a pinch I'll use them on the face and body before deodorant goes on. The best tricks that work for me are to jump in the shower and shave right before I leave the house. After all the packing it is the very last item on my list before I start the truck. I also put on all fresh clothes like socks, undies and t-shirt if I need it or not daily. A hot wash rag and clean clothes feels almost as good and way less effort and trouble than a shower in the bush.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
After considering all the options I went with the Road Shower 2.

A few weeks ago as I was looking up water tanks and shower options for the cruiser I came across the Road Shower 2. It is an extruded aluminum tank that stores water on the roof rack and then uses passive solar radiation to heat the water throughout the day. Its got a temp gauge, radiator cap for filling and to control pressure (18 psi max), an air valve to pressurize the tank and a hose/nozzle that has about 5' reach. It mounts with hardware using an integrated "T" slot on the bottom. Overall, its VERY well made and quite light for its size. It holds about 5 gallons of water, and my initial testing in the backyard yielded about 10 minutes of constant water flow with good pressure. It would obviously run out fast or last longer depending on the flow rate selected at the adjustable nozzle, but a HOT 10 minute shower isn't out of the question for this shower unit. I just tossed it up there for now but I will orient the hose to the rear so I can use it near the tailgate.

So far, in my humble testing, letting the tank sit in the backyard with direct sun on it for about 4 hours (Noon-4pm) with 85* ambient temps I was hitting right at 100* at the nozzle. Even at 9pm that night the water was still relatively warm (closer to 90*) and I started with cold tap water out of the faucet. Needless to say I am impressed and my wife is stoked about it! There's something about the idea of washing down after a day in Moab's silt, or Colorado's dusty trails that is really appealing.

All things considered, I only need to worry about the sun shinning (no biggie here in Colorado and Utah) and if its luke warm a pot of hot water from the stove should warm things up nicely. Another big advantage is it is out of the way on the roof rack and easy to access when desired. I am impressed. Give me a season off road with it next summer to know if it will stay or be replaced.

Full disclosure, I have no experience with the Zodi Showers, but I have used the solar shower bags in the past with varying results.

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0180.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz