Tie rod end failure

Texel

Got my truck back from the garage on friday. Had a leveling kit, shocks, steering stabilizer and control arms installed. Two days later I'm on the side of the road with my two front tires pointing in opposite directions. Tie rod snapped in half right by the drivers side knuckle. Is this a common issue with 2010 dodge 2500 or is this a fault of the garage that did the install, maybe the alignment shop? Not sure who or if anyone I should go after to rectify this problem.
And here I thought this only happened to H2

Oh and when I dropped of my truck at the garage today that did all my work there was another dodge (09 I believe) with same problem being unloaded from a flatbed.

Cheers for any input

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I think the question is answered by the second truck. I have an '07 PW and went all Thuren steering then added ram assist from PSC, going to HD lockout hubs next, and just had front wheel bearings done at 18k miles!! And the ball joints are also a potential issue.

Texel

I think the question is answered by the second truck. I have an '07 PW and went all Thuren steering then added ram assist from PSC, going to HD lockout hubs next, and just had front wheel bearings done at 18k miles!! And the ball joints are also a potential issue.

Answered how? That it is a dodge or its at the same garage, faulty workmanship!

GTABurnout

Explorer
Thuren Answered this question on a diffrent board. Looks like if yopu align the draglink wrong you can stress the TRE and force them to brake.

author=thuren

Ok so in messing with some stuff with Adam something I had sort of overlooked came to light, and I have some tips to help prevent the TRE's from snapping on the OEM 2008.5+ steering kits.

The pitman arm being angled down now also makes the TRE stud follow a screwed up path. When you turn hard left on flat ground this is what you get(picture below) If you lock down your alignment adjusters in a position that does not let the drag link float to where it wants to be, snappy snappy... I think this is why some trucks have problems some dont..

So, loosen one of your 15mm adjuster clamp deals just enough so the TRE threads can slip if need be, but not "loose", steer the truck left to right then hard left, park the truck, and then tighten the adjuster back down where is sits. Then, turn hard left hard right and make sure you can still grab the drag link and rotate it to make sure it still has "play".

The tie rod also has limited rotation, so make sure both tie rod ends, on the lower tie rod, are parallel to each other. If they are locked down in a cocked position to each other, that could cause problems too.

jacked_angle_pitman.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94