2009 Dodge Power Wagon tie rod end failure

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Larry, the truck has already been updated on the recall. I know there is also a recall on the 4500/5500 trucks for linkage problems - perhaps they need to look at the 2500/3500 series as well.

bob91yj, we were at Flag 77 taking times and numbers. That was right at Cunningham Wash at the north east end of the course. At 9PM they shut down the loop we were on to start extracting rigs from the wash.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
You've got to wonder if Dodge under spec'd the component or if the supplier has a metallurgy issue. I've got the '08.5+ steering upgrade and dwell on this issue a lot. Wife and I are going to DV soon and wouldn't want this sucker to break going into Titus canyon. I'm going today to have Joe@ www.ntgracing.com. check the components out thoroughly. BTW,great shop in Santee,Ca if you need work done.

ExpoMike

My guess is the supplier is a China based company and their metallurgy is crap. I know ball joints and tie rods failure or wearing out in less than 20K miles has been plaguing Dodge for quite a while. Somewhere about '99-'00 timeframe as I had issues with my '00 Dakota but my dad's '97 Dakota is still on the original ball joints.

Glad you didn't get hurt.

Texel

Crawler#976 with your mishap the other day did you do any damage to your sway bar end links? I just got news that I damaged the links on both ends of mine the other day.........

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Crawler#976 with your mishap the other day did you do any damage to your sway bar end links? I just got news that I damaged the links on both ends of mine the other day.........
The stock endlinks are crap

. Lorenz Industries sells some quality replacements. Price seems steep but they last and are adjustable for up to 3" lifts. Thuren's objective is to have a bulletproof heim joint replacement front suspension that retains the stock wheels. The guy's just so darn busy.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Sounds like it's essential that the TRE's are installed in a neutral position. The draglink's TRE must be installed in the same plane as the knuckle-portion TRE. Both ends must rotate with equal clearance so neither binds.. Hope I'm making sense.:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier