Converting camper shell to pop-up?

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I'm sure someone has done this, or atleast thought about it. Does anyone have a build thread? I searched and didnt come across anything. I am seriously considering doing this.

SafariPacific

Adventurer
There's a couple contraptions out there. One lifts the shell strait up and another tilts it from one side. There's a couple posts of them on the forum here, just can't remember where. If I were to use a camper shell again I'd make it work like a Westfalia. That way the sides are bolted in place instead of having the whole weight on a couple hinges.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I was thinking more of the straight up version. Hadn't really thought much about the Westfalia but I think that would suit my needs as well.

D

Deleted member 9101

I have spent many hours thinking of taking a camper shell and bolting on a RTT on top.. one of the ones that pops up and has a hard case. I think it woudl be pretty straight forward... and although you woudl lost yous ability to have a roof rack.. you could gain a couple of feet in head room. Cut a hole in the roof of the camper and the floor of the rtt and you have instant head room.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
Jnich, at that point you might as well invest in a Flippac. I like the idea of the flippac but don't really see it being all that great in rough weather, especially lots of wind and rain.

D

Deleted member 9101

Jnich, at that point you might as well invest in a Flippac. I like the idea of the flippac but don't really see it being all that great in rough weather, especially lots of wind and rain.

Yeah..honestly I like the concept of a flippac but I really hate the way they look.

There is a guy on here who built a killer hard sided pop up camper shell for a tacoma.

Harp

Adventurer
Flippac in wind and rain

I have used my Flippac in some pretty good storms and wind. With the fly on had no major issues no leaks. The only down side is stuffing the rain fly in a garbage bag for the ride home. Being able to close it in 20 seconds is nice when weather is threatening. I did get caught without the fly and it still held up well with just a little water getting in. closed it wet and opened it the next day was bone dry in 4 hours.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I would think the best way would be to find an existing pop top (like an old Westfalia top), and cut it off, then attach it to a camper shell. That way you have the roof and the lift mechanism already constructed.

alpinered

hey anchorshot are you still thinking about this conversion? i've been contemplating the same thing. let me know if you've found any new ideas, etc.

IDFYF8

I asked this same question about a month ago with no leads. The westfalia top is too long and the curvature makes it difficult to modify. I picked a used one up on Craigslist and it just doesn't work.

RR1

Explorer
Not exactly a pop-"top", would be more weather resistant.

http://www.quickupcamper.com/

sidecutout4.jpg

sidebyside.jpg

jbinside.jpg

Not a camper shell, but some ideas. You can make your own molds and make the top out of glass, or weld up some aluminum. Mock up in card board or styrofoam.

http://www.desert-tec.de/html/minihubdach.html

mini5cl.jpg

http://www.o-r-b.ch/

2273.jpg

Last edited:

whitewatersully

I have been thinking about the same idea. I was looking to use a hard tonneau cover as the lifting part along with some soft sides like the sportmaster camp-along.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I think that if you really want something along these lines the flippac is the way to go. I think after the conversion is done you would have about the same money in it as just buying the flippac.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles