Need help finding nonstandard plywood in central V

wagoneercraig

Observer
I just discover that i have to replace the side walls on my tear drop camper . I would like to add some height to it . Right now its 4x8 . Thinking that i would like to use something around 5'x8'x1" sheet of ply or wider . Is there anyone in the central VA area? or someone that i could order from :coffee: ? Thanks

GeoScum

Adventurer
Been in construction my whole life. I have never seen any type of ply that size. OSB can be had 4x10x 7/8". Baltic ply comes 5'x5'x16mm. But what you want?????????

frgtwn

Adventurer
One inch?

Scarf joint will certainly work, but do you really need 1"? That will be pretty heavy, of course. Perhaps 3/4" will work.

In any event, you could scarf joint two pieces, say two 3/8" or two half inch and stagger the joints.

Ply is available in 5x8, 5x10, 8x5 and 10x5 (cross grain). A good lumber yard (not bigbox) should be able to order it. Or check out a distributor for cabinet plywood.

Depending on the design, you may be able to use two vertical pieces on each side. (as tall as you want.)

Good luck, and show us pictures!

wagoneercraig

Observer
Thanks for the reply's , I had checked all my resources including my lumber suppliers . big old nadda !! Even checked some teardrop forums . No luck !! I did think about jointing a short piece on to get the 5' i was looking for . but since it's going to be structural and exposed to the element's concerned me . Thinking i'm going to stick with standard materials . Good side is that it'll be easier to drag into some remote places with the lower roof :REOutCampFire03:

Attachments

• IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    731.3 KB · Views: 16

pods8

Explorer
Thanks for the reply's , I had checked all my resources including my lumber suppliers . big old nadda !! Even checked some teardrop forums . No luck !! I did think about jointing a short piece on to get the 5' i was looking for . but since it's going to be structural and exposed to the element's concerned me . Thinking i'm going to stick with standard materials . Good side is that it'll be easier to drag into some remote places with the lower roof :REOutCampFire03:

Any wood you're exposing to the elements I'd vote for a coat of epoxy over, helps seal up the pores and adds some rigidity.

wagoneercraig

Observer
^^Saved the link . Thanks . Give them a call this week and see what they have . :smiley_drive:
^. Def not leaving it bare wood . it'll last about a week that way. My goal is to fiber glass the sides and then paint it military green with UPOL Raptor bed liner paint to match my wagoneer . Trimmed with aluminum .
I'm also going use this time to also extend the of frame for more storage . Add a receiver in the back, roof racks and racks behind the wheel wells for fuel and water

Attachments

• IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    778.5 KB · Views: 13

justduck

Observer
Basinranger had a great method for applying epoxy to plywood with a sheet rock tool. Too bad he removed his posts, they were a good reference for many areas of a build.

pods8

Explorer
Basinranger had a great method for applying epoxy to plywood with a sheet rock tool. Too bad he removed his posts, they were a good reference for many areas of a build.

I believe he was just float coating with a drywall knife (a flexible plastic squeegee for fiber glass/bondo work would be appropriate as well) per the way gougeon brother's describe in their boat building book (available at many libraries by the way). You can do that to get a quick/thick coating.

You can roller it on with a fine foam roller in multiple coats as well. Or even squeegee on a couple thinner coats rather than one thick one as well.

I do concur I wish he'd put his build thread back up, lot of good things in there. Not sure I understand the mentality of deleting all your posts even if you want to move on to different projects. He said he planned to clean it up, but hey leave it up in the meantime for inspiration. Additionally other people posted in his thread and I don't readily agree with an original poster being able to take down an entire thread including other peoples posts. Just my $.02

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier