Another Great Debate...I hope

Singbush

Observer
So with two little ones and a possible third in the next couple years, the little diesel Liberty isn't gonna cut it any more. And since I don't care to constantly work on a Rover (which I think are so cool) and I can't afford anything with a Toyota badge with less than 200k miles, I'm thinking of going in the Suburban direction....

There are two, almost identical, Suburban 2500's for sale locally. Both are 1994's with 170-180k miles. Let's assume both are welll maintained. One is a 5.7L V8 (lots of +'s for reliability and cheap available parts) and the other is a 6.5L T/D (great mpg's). They are also listed for the same price.

My questions is simple: Which one would you go with?

I wanna hear both sides, Pro's and Con's for both. Tentative plans would include 33's, sliders, bumpers and the normal ExPo equipment.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

blakeape

Adventurer
My soon to be father in law yanked the 6.5 diesel out of his mid to late 90's suburban and put a 350 (5.7L) in after it killied him financially for years. I believe it was the 2nd injection pump and subsequent damage that was over $3000 that pushed him over the edge and into the gasser. He is much happier with the 350, it pulls a 20ish ft travel trailer or small sail boat just fine and he claims the mileage isn't much worse. I am hearing this all from him and he does drive very slow, but I know he is much happier with the truck after the engine swap.

hayduke357

burb

I have a 99 2500 4x4 5.7 and i can get 12 if i keep my foot out of the gas. I run a high flow filter, dual exhausts and 33s. Pulls fine, i pull in third instead of overdrive so i have to pull slow if i want to get over 9 mpg while towing.

Singbush

Observer
Just out of curiosity and maybe a silly question, but would the 7.4L be any better on the mpg's?

Also, I've read the 6.5L is problem prone when not maintained meticulously...are they mostly lifter pump issues? Oil leaks? Turbo issues?

The mpg's are important, but not the end all be all. Most lifted rigs with 33's or higher won't get above 10-12mpg anyway. The thing with the 'burb 2500's is they get the same whether their loaded with gear or towing or completely empty.

What else do people like about them or dislike?

Any known issues with the older IFS model burb's?

fjatheart

Adventurer
I could not justify the cost of a diesel when it comes to maintaining, etc. I went with a 460 in a '94 super cab ford and loaded down or empty I still get 10-11mpg. I spend on gas, but it's less expensive to maintain and parts are cheap, plus I can work on it myself. I've been down the diesel route and they are great, but cost when it's time to replace, rebuild or even just to change the oil. Just my .02!

Have you looked at the 4.7 V8 Toyota Sequoia? Great motor, decent mpg and it's a Toyota with a 3rd row seat!

Last edited:

DT75FLH

Adventurer
My soon to be father in law yanked the 6.5 diesel out of his mid to late 90's suburban and put a 350 (5.7L) in after it killied him financially for years. I believe it was the 2nd injection pump and subsequent damage that was over $3000 that pushed him over the edge and into the gasser. He is much happier with the 350, it pulls a 20ish ft travel trailer or small sail boat just fine and he claims the mileage isn't much worse. I am hearing this all from him and he does drive very slow, but I know he is much happier with the truck after the engine swap.

a lot of misdiagnosed inj pumps were really the PMD driver....it is well documented over on the the diesel place, you can still find PMD relocating kits to get it mounted by the bumper instead of the intake.

the maint is not that much higher with the old 6.5 diesel vs a 5.7, I think its only 2 more quarts of oil. the blocks were a solid design and the 6.5 is turbo charged so it could get out of its own way. bout the same HP as a 5.7 but with twice the mpg

I had a 6.2 diesel...it went 280k miles before the crank broke in 2. this is usually because of the crank damper wearing out/breaking and not catching it in time. the harmonics would eventually break the cast crank it. when I pulled the heads off there was NO VISIBLY wear in the cylinders.

I had a 94 2wd 6.5. it would get around 18-20 at 75 mph on the highway.

my current 91 burb with a 5.7 gets around 8-10 mpg at 70-75. this is 3" lift and 33" tires and 4.10 gears with 3/4 axles.

It is quieter thou ;)

trailrunner

Observer
I've driven a Chevy 1500 4x4 z71, with a 5.7L with 300,000kms on it and gotten 16-17 mpg highway averaged over a 4000km road trip, i'm suprised everyone elses numbers are so low. Though the truck had a canopy, and only slightly larger than stock tires

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
I've driven a Chevy 1500 4x4 z71, with a 5.7L with 300,000kms on it and gotten 16-17 mpg highway averaged over a 4000km road trip, i'm suprised everyone elses numbers are so low. Though the truck had a canopy, and only slightly larger than stock tires

My 1500 Yukon gets about 17mpg on the highway, but I guess the difference would be that it is a 1500, not a 2500.

I have a 99 half ton. GREAT truck. 160k on the 5.7. 17mpg all day long and

20 when Im careful. A little lift and 32 inch tires. Bone stock otherwise. I

wanted a 3/4 ton when we were shopping, settled on this one due to it great

condition. I definately would go gas my self. EASY to work on, EASY to get

parts, and CHEAP. The front ends are pretty bullet proof, as long as you

dont lift them too high. My half ton is the be fire road rig Ive ever owned,

great ride and control. My only real gripe with the suburbans older than 2001

is the brakes. Neither the half or 3/4 brake systems are strong enough. But

where else can you get the capacity, room, comfort, capabilty, safety and decent looks for 4 to 7 grand.
Mike

Humvette

Adventurer
Well i would go with the 6.5 TD all day long. I have one in my Hummer H1. I had 37's with an equivalent 5.06:1 rear end!!! I got 14mpg at 60-65. The hummer weighs more and is less areo hehe.
Mods:
- mechanical waste gate 14 psi!!! stock was 7
- remote PMD (absolute must!!!)
- Air filter
- ECU Heath Diesel (look them up!!!)
- 4" trubo back (catless and no muff)

I have driven to Co from Houston 3 times in it. Note my 37's weighed 100lbs each! my 38's with H1 wheels are 160lbs and i get 11 mpg with them.

Diesel is cooler.

BTW i had a 95 2dr. yukon on 35"s and i got 8 city 10 highway

It sets you up for a Cummins Swap eventually :)

Silverado

Adventurer
If you could find a 94ish 2500, I believe they still came with the 6.2/4l80e

Any thoughts toward a powerstroke Excursion?:coffee:

poriggity

Explorer
Given the choices, I'd go with the gas motor. Around here, diesel is approaching $4.00/gallon very rapidly. Also, the 6.5 TD will nickel and dime you to death with little problems....
Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles